Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

[Q] How to remove Facebook suggested ads?

OP Klyno

19th August 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 65

70 posts
More
Hi.
I just wanted to know how to remove all the suggested ads in the news feed of Facebook application. I tried to block some permission which could eventually be the cause of this or even use adblockers but nothing worked for Facebook. So if you have a solution it would be gladly appreciated.
Thank you
19th August 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 1,584

2,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
That is pretty interesting I have to say. My first idea "impossible as there are no elements that would be easy to distinguish from the other items of the app", but I might be very wrong.
19th August 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

70 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olokos

That is pretty interesting I have to say. My first idea "impossible as there are no elements that would be easy to distinguish from the other items of the app", but I might be very wrong.

Hmm I see but still it must be a line of code which implements ads as in every free app with ads but I must admit it that as you said, ads in Facebook are in the core of the app and not just a third-party layer. I mean most of ads in others apps are "Google ads" but it's different for Facebook. Maybe decompiling the apk and search for the part with suggested ads could help ^^
19th August 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 30

393 posts
More
Isn't the suggestions just pushed as a news feed item?
19th August 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

70 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji257

Isn't the suggestions just pushed as a news feed item?

If it is so then I have to find the line where the item is implemented and set it to "false" or something like that no? I kind of suck in coding but I'll give it a try one day.
20th August 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Warsaw

2,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
I was almost sure that it can't be as easy as it sounds and it actually isn't. You were taking about bools. Those are either true or false. Unfortunately I was right...

I can upload decompiled Facebook apk if you want to dig it further.
The Following User Says Thank You to olokos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

70 posts
More
Quote:

I was almost sure that it can't be as easy as it sounds and it actually isn't. You were taking about bools. Those are either true or false. Unfortunately I was right...

I can upload decompiled Facebook apk if you want to dig it further.

I'll do it with apk tool or apk studio and see what I can change and if it's possible to get some results. I was thinking of making a test on for example deactivate news from a specific user (this could be done from options too) from the apk directly and maybe with a little chance the suggested ads work the same way. If it's the case it's kind of easy to block them I guess.

PS. Did you find the bools.xml in the fb apk? Because I can't find it ^^
Last edited by Klyno; 20th August 2014 at 05:35 PM.
20th August 2014, 06:04 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Warsaw

2,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yup. Facebook apk indeed. Disassembled just before my previous post. Nothing helpful in that xml anyway. It's a good idea although I think it won't be that easy.
Good luck though. Shall you need any help, just let me know and I'll do my best to help you. Post anything you find here.
The Following User Says Thank You to olokos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

70 posts
More
Quote:

Yup. Facebook apk indeed. Disassembled just before my previous post. Nothing helpful in that xml anyway. It's a good idea although I think it won't be that easy.
Good luck though. Shall you need any help, just let me know and I'll do my best to help you. Post anything you find here.

Well I think I was searching it in the wrong place, I went in /data/app then directly in the apk nvm ^^
Well I'll start this tomorrow and see what I can do. I have to say I'm not a genius in coding, only worked in python but it's more logic than anything else. If something looks weird I have Google
20th August 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Warsaw

2,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
Try starting from how to decompile an apk. I also want to mention that smali which you'll need to know to dig REALLY DEEP is more like assembler not like python :P

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Byte code <- smali <- Java

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread