Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 38,674 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Hangouts adding area code

Tip us?

dmbardal
Old
(Last edited by dmbardal; 25th November 2013 at 10:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Unhappy [Q] Google Hangouts adding area code

Hi!

So .. I'm having the following issue.. wich is bugging me quite a bit.

I recently started using Google Hangouts instead of SMS (TextMessaging), and I'm very fond of it.
The only issue I have is that the numbers I havent added any areacode to gets the areacode for Sweden (+46),
and this is ONLY on Google Hangouts.

When I go back to the regular SMS app, the areacode is removed, and I can again send SMS without sending it to Sweden first.

I'm from Norway if it matters (+47). But the phone itself is imported from Sweden, but I'm using Norwegian as language.
So I cannot understand why this should be an issue.

Anyone got any info on the matter?

Edit: And yes. I checked my gmail. I have my country set to Norway.
Current:
Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S - Gave it away!
Sony Xperia S - 4.4 AOSP powered
Sony Xperia V - sold it
Sony Xperia Z - sold this one aswell
HTC One 32GB - sold yet another one
Nexus 7 - 4.4 powered
LG G2 (D802) - CloudyPro II 4.4 KitKat + TWRP 2.7 XDA Themed

Click the picture and get 20GB of free space on Copy!
You get 5GB extra and I get 5GB extra. WIN-WIN!

dmbardal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
And I just doublechecked that it werent my Backup Pro that messed things up (since I know app+data backup\sms backup can sometimes be a bit wierd.),
because I checked with only the original google drive backup that comes with android, and I still got +46 as the area\countrycode when
texting a number without +XX infront of the number when using Google Hangouts.
I just find it very wierd. There is no reason for Google Hangouts to pick +46, right ?
Except the fact that the phone is imported from Sweden.
Current:
Sony Xperia V - sold it
Nexus 7 - 4.4 powered

MistrBjorn
Old
(Last edited by MistrBjorn; 25th November 2013 at 06:22 PM.) Reason: Added information
Thanks Meter 0
As another Norwegian, I have the exact same problem. The Hangouts app adds +46 as the country code to all my numbers without an already existing prefix (I even think it added +45 at one point, which is the prefix to Denmark).

I bought my phone (HTC One) from a Tele2 outlet in Norway. Tele2 is a Swedish mobile operator company, so quite possibly my phone is the Swedish version (I don't know how to verify that).

Also, my default country code in Gmail is set to Norway.

Could this be a bug?

Edit: Also, when I use the default SMS app from HTC, no problems occur (as with OP dmbardal). That is, the app doesn't prefix any area code.

korgmatose
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrBjorn View Post
As another Norwegian, I have the exact same problem. The Hangouts app adds +46 as the country code to all my numbers without an already existing prefix (I even think it added +45 at one point, which is the prefix to Denmark).

I bought my phone (HTC One) from a Tele2 outlet in Norway. Tele2 is a Swedish mobile operator company, so quite possibly my phone is the Swedish version (I don't know how to verify that).

Also, my default country code in Gmail is set to Norway.

Could this be a bug?

Edit: Also, when I use the default SMS app from HTC, no problems occur (as with OP dmbardal). That is, the app doesn't prefix any area code.
Same for me, just noticed the bug in hangouts. Seem there are some issues with norwegian in general om android these days. Earth cannot search if system language is set to Norwegian, and Drive won't open New Google sheets.

korgmatose
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by korgmatose View Post
Same for me, just noticed the bug in hangouts. Seem there are some issues with norwegian in general om android these days. Earth cannot search if system language is set to Norwegian, and Drive won't open New Google sheets.
I have Tele2 and I believe this to be some kind of "dial assist" making Hangouts believe that since tele2 uses Swedish simcarda, that I am trying to dial to my home network, and that I'm roaming abroad when I am indeed in Norway messaging a Norwegian number.
A are all of you also tele2-customers?

andebor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by korgmatose View Post
I have Tele2 and I believe this to be some kind of "dial assist" making Hangouts believe that since tele2 uses Swedish simcarda, that I am trying to dial to my home network, and that I'm roaming abroad when I am indeed in Norway messaging a Norwegian number.
A are all of you also tele2-customers?
I have the exact same problem and yes I am a tele2-customer. I think what you're writing about Sweden could be the problem. Google probably didn't think of that scenario when they added this. A fix would be greatly appreciated! At least there should be a way to override the setting it gets from the sim.

This problem is extremely annoying!

I will write a bug report for google to ignore.

sinnadyr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andebor View Post
I have the exact same problem and yes I am a tele2-customer. I think what you're writing about Sweden could be the problem. Google probably didn't think of that scenario when they added this. A fix would be greatly appreciated! At least there should be a way to override the setting it gets from the sim.

This problem is extremely annoying!

I will write a bug report for google to ignore.
How did the bug report go? Tele2/Nexus 5 user here with the exact same problem. Sometimes it works to store the contact with the area code as well before sending an SMS.

dmbardal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
I'm still having the same issue, despite desperately changing everything I can on Youtube, Google Plus, GMail, Hangouts etc.
Still no change.

I recently posted on the Google+ help group to see if anyone got a fix for the issue.
I will report back if I find anything.
This is seriously starting to bug me.
Current:
Sony Xperia V - sold it
Nexus 7 - 4.4 powered

Tags
areacode, google hangouts, wrong areacode