Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 54,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Jiayu G4S - bad GPS issues, low accuracy, time to first fix...

Tip us?

LuxZg
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I did some more testing, and all tests with either WiFi/3G off, or having "Wi-Fi & mobile network location" turned off in "Location access" has me great results with Strava tracking app. I'm always tracked on the road I drive on, no mistakes there.

On the other hand, driving in my car with iGO Primo I had several "recalculating route" situations due to GPS putting me in wrong nearby road.
I did save tracking info, but due to iGO settings being bit funny, I got only summary, no tracking info. I've fixed this now, so on a next drive I'll compare if saved tracking data is same as mistakes it makes during driving. I've also turned on NMEA logging in iGO to double-check everything.

So since I usually track with Strava when on bike/walking and iGO is for car navigation, I went to log 2 car drives with Strava. Except breaking some records for fastest bike ride on few segments ( ) nothing out of the ordinary, again all tracks were correctly placed on roads I was driving.

I'll report more when I gather some more data.

P.S. This is all on jiayupolska.pl ROM, build number G4SW 20140609-150354 - no modifications done at all.

Doman
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
I have some nice experience with a free navi app called MapFactor Navigator using OpenStreetMaps. It gives me much better street navigation (overall) than Google Maps. Doesn't put on adjacent road, so doesn't recalculate so often, quickly recognizes my turns and acts accordingly, etc.

My little handheld story:
Begining: 3Com Palm IIIc
PocketPC / Windows Mobile era: HP iPAQ 1940 => ASUS MyPal A636 => HTC Feeler (Qtek 8020) => HTC Wizard (Qtek 9100) => HTC TyTN II (Kaiser) => ASUS P750
Android era: Samsung Galaxy Spica GT-i5700 => Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V => Samsung Galaxy Xcover2 (GT-S7710)

Present model: Jiayu G4S / Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos GT-i9192 (wife's)
The Following User Says Thank You to Doman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LuxZg
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Fail... Today I recorded an awfull walk tracked with Strava that so far had great results. WiFi/cell positioning was turned off in Location settings, but everything else was turned on (WiFi/3G/Bluetooth/..). First I walked 10 minutes before I got signal, even though I used GPS 5 minutes before that and all was fine (I just went inside a building for a few minutes, than back out). Next when I did get signal my route was tracked very sloppy, like I was walking zig-zag and/or in circles and such, even though I went straight down the same road. This was 20 minute walk, and like I've said 10 minutes without track, and next 10 were real bad. Thing is, the ride I did just before that, before entering the building - all fine! Wasn't 100% accurate, but was within some 5-10 meters perhaps at worst, but mostly +/-2-3 meters from wher eI passed. And that was in car. And literally I went through the same part of town, once in one direction in car (all fine), and than back on foot (terrible). There were no restarts, reboots, or any settings changed in the meantime.

Oh wait! I just remembered something! This just came to my mind while I was typing last few words of above paragraph. There was one big difference. I was USING PHONE while I was walking! I was actually reading this thread, than went to take a look at that free OpenStreetMaps navigation, than downloaded the app, and so on. So: a) was in my hand all the time, b) screen on, c) CPU was under some load I guess, d) mobile data was running all the time. Now remember how I said earlier that when I have wifi/3G completely off that it's all fine? And that everyone say Google Maps gives tham bad results (and it's an online tool downloading maps all the timae in bgnd while you drive)? What if there is something in that after all?

I'm kinda one step back now, maybe a few, but I'll continue testing with all radios off (WiFi/3G/Bluetooth) and see if I encounter bad days like today's. I did notice once that while I was speaking on phone while tracking I also had off results during those 100-200 meters, but I can't test with Airplane mod, after all - it's phone :P

As for those saying that how should they use GPS offline when they "need" data... I've got 2 suggestions. 1) Not all apps need data connection. Tracking apps don't use data because they just record info from satellites, so everything is offline. And navigation apps can have maps stored offline (like iGO MyWay/Primo that I use, or MapFactor Navigator that Doman uses, but these are just a few from many). 2) for fast lock, you just need data in the start, you get a lock with mobile data/WiFi, than you can turn it off, from there on phone knows (or should know) where you are, and shouldn't have problems finding you again. I'm not saying it's perfect, you won't get WhatsApp and Facebook messages while driving :P But on the other hand... maybe better you don't, eh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuxZg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Doman
Old
(Last edited by Doman; 2nd September 2014 at 10:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
I don't turn off 3G completely. In fact it is always on and syncing my services. It is the "Use wireless networks" under Location services => Location sources I keep off.

I have better and worse days with Jiayu GPS as well I think it is very depended on the weather. But not sure whichone is good for the GPS quality. Don't know why but have a feeling like the cloudy one

Also the place. I have some roads where Jiayu always goes crazy, while after a few meters it gets back to normal.

Keep on testing. I have a nice head to head comparison with Qualcomm phone. Will post it soon, but what I can say now is that even Qualcomm goes crazy and looses signal in the forrest

# UPDATE: #
GPS competition: Jiayu G4S on MTK6592 chipset VS Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini on Qualcomm MSM8930 Snapdragon 400 (with Glonass = extra satellite system)
Conditions: clear day, most of the track in the woods
Mounting point: both of the phones mounted on the bike's steering bar in the same holder, one phone on the other
Recording app: Google My Tracks (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....maps.mytracks)
Signal: GPS antennas only, no wireless networks assistance

Jiayu G4S track: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByHz...hTM195T2M/edit
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini track: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByHz...lRQjhOZzQ/edit

No doubts, Qualcomm is a winner I haven't been in the lake with Jiayu

But I think that Jiayu with MTK did keep the company quite well. It's track is more chaotic (like flying bug as LuxZg noticed ). Yet still it kept close to the real paths, not much worse (sometimes even better) than Samsung. And the conditions (sometimes deep woods) were difficult as even Qualcomm had difficulties to keep up.

The strait lines are the parts were the phones lost the signal. On the app in the phone you don't see these lines, just a brake of the track. And actually both of the phones lost the signal a few times, even in similar places, yet Jiayu had a bigger problem with that.

Overall I am quite impress with Jiayu. Although it's GPS is not perfect it is definatelly not useless

PocketPC / Windows Mobile era: HP iPAQ 1940 => ASUS MyPal A636 => HTC Feeler (Qtek 8020) => HTC Wizard (Qtek 9100) => HTC TyTN II (Kaiser) => ASUS P750
Android era: Samsung Galaxy Spica GT-i5700 => Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V => Samsung Galaxy Xcover2 (GT-S7710)

The Following User Says Thank You to Doman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Doman
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by doping1989 View Post
Hello,

Good News.
Can you install Xposed and gravitybox in this ROM?
Don't know if it still matters, but I've tried to install Xposed on this ROM and unfortunatelly ended up on boot logo freeze So I'm affraid Xposed doesn't work on this ROM.

but-888-
Old
Thanks Meter 8
So for me running borx v3 disabling data support in gps is a complete killer

indiffereddie
Old
(Last edited by indiffereddie; 10th September 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Today I did my first tracking with this phone. I was riding a bike with 3g data (and music ) on, and I can say that I'm quite satified with the results. It's not as good as it was on my previous LG Optimus G, but it's just enough accurate for the tracking of a ride (+/-5 m, more or less, up to 10m on the bridge as you can see on the map - at its worst). Here is the map: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Ex...1RjXzQ/preview

I used Google's My Tracks application.

Tags
gps, jiayu g4s