No registration required

[Q] Possible to root Huawei Y550?

OP doveman

30th October 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
I just got this Huawei HUAWEI Y550-L01 for a great price and it's a massive improvement on my G300 (which actually cost me about double what I paid for the Y550 a couple of years ago!)

There doesn't seem to be any custom ROMs available for it yet but I was wondering if it's possible to just root it, as there's quite a few apps I like to use that require root?

I've e-mailed Huawei and they've sent me my bootloader unlock code but unless I can root it, there's probably not much point doing that at the moment.
Last edited by doveman; 20th November 2014 at 06:17 PM.
19th November 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #2  
Flag Newcastle
Thanks Meter: 275

434 posts
More
Im still waiting for my unlock code, once i get it will look at it. pretty sure rootgenius will do it as it does most Huawei's. Then i will put something together, as well as bit of review and impressions of the phone
19th November 2014, 03:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag London

23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimspace

Im still waiting for my unlock code, once i get it will look at it. pretty sure rootgenius will do it as it does most Huawei's. Then i will put something together, as well as bit of review and impressions of the phone

That'll be great, thanks
19th November 2014, 05:29 PM   |  #4  
Flag Newcastle

434 posts
More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by doveman

That'll be great, thanks

Root Genius didnt work
Framaroot didnt work
Eroot didnt work
SRS One Click didnt work
Vroot didnt work
Kingoroot didnt work

For now i dont think we have root on Y550

Apart from anti virus, theres not much i need root for, but the two key things changing the dpi (because the resolution isnt good enough), and full link 2 sd (because of the lack of storage space) are kinda important

Its a pretty new phone though, pretty sure root will be around soon enough.

BTW.. can you change title to Y550 rather than 500.. help people using the search function.
Last edited by dimspace; 19th November 2014 at 09:32 PM.
20th November 2014, 06:19 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag London

23 posts
Quote:

Root Genius didnt work
Framaroot didnt work
Eroot didnt work
SRS One Click didnt work
Vroot didnt work
Kingoroot didnt work

For now i dont think we have root on Y550

Apart from anti virus, theres not much i need root for, but the two key things changing the dpi (because the resolution isnt good enough), and full link 2 sd (because of the lack of storage space) are kinda important

Its a pretty new phone though, pretty sure root will be around soon enough.

BTW.. can you change title to Y550 rather than 500.. help people using the search function.

Woops, yep done.

Oh well, thanks for trying.

Yeah, lack of space and inability to use link2sd was the main reason I wanted root, although there's quite a few apps I use that need it too. Apart from that though, the missing encryption feature kills it for me. I e-mailed Huawei asking why it was missing but they haven't replied!
20th November 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #6  
Flag Newcastle

434 posts
More
I have filled out the email response form on a couple of the root methods asking for Y550 to be added if possible. It was only launched in October, and November for most of UK so its pretty new, but generally there is root out there for most Huawei phones.

Most apps can be moved to SD the native way using app manager or similar but its the space hogging ones like Facebook that cant be.

For those passing by this thread, make sure you set SD as default in settings>Storage and then select defaut storage location as SD

and for ref:
CPU: Qualcomm MSM8974 (think this is a misidentifiation. meant to be MSM8916) Snapdragon 800 x 4 on Elpida (Krait 400 Arm 7)
GPU: Adreno 330

Overall, on the phone its not a bad bit of kit, was bought to replace a dying Galaxy S2 and the specs are pretty much the same as the S2, more CPU but less Storage.

Negatives:
Lack of storage space, about 1.3gb at stock
Screen Resolution: Is fairly low but actually looks pretty good. Just needs the DPI dropping down a bit.
The Huwai stock launcher is pants (but easily replaced)

The Good:
Battery life at the moment seems pretty good. Using it all day, whatsapp, twitter, music player (but no games), ive not come close to having to worry about a charge
Included apps: You can actually remove the bulk of the bloatware and most of the included apps are reasonable. The backup program is functional (but let down by lack of scheduled backups), the messaging and contacts replacements are passable (but lacking merge contacts), the power management is actualy fair good with good contral of which apps are shut down to save battery and which stay open, good control of which apps are allowed to push notifications etc so that aspect of it is good.
Camera: average, but fast and functional. Good enough for snaps, but lacks obviously from only being 5mp
Mobile internet is snappy as hell

The Meh..
Not totally convinced about the settings, drop downs etc with the MIUI styling on them,
Last edited by dimspace; 20th November 2014 at 07:24 PM.
20th November 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #7  
Flag Newcastle

434 posts
More
Benchmarking

i got
12147 with quadrant
19454 with Antutu (let down by cat 4 SD)

Which to be honest, for a 100 phone aint bad.
22nd November 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

29 posts
More
Quote:

Benchmarking

i got
12147 with quadrant
19454 with Antutu (let down by cat 4 SD)

Which to be honest, for a 100 phone aint bad.

Down now to 69.99 on O2 Paygo
1.47 on Ebay to unlock.
3rd December 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 8

43 posts
this phone is 49.95 on PAYG upgrade from carphonewarehouse.
7th December 2014, 11:04 AM   |  #10  

3 posts
The Ascend y550-L02 is now available in Australia through Vodafone PAYG for $99 AUD (including some pretty sweet extras), making it perhaps the cheapest 4g LTE option in OZ. All the standard one click root methods already mentioned don't work with this sub model either. A new root would be very appreciated! Unfortunately I'm not a developer, but I do like to reward those who are smarter than me and allow me to tweak my devices. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by RWStrickler; 7th December 2014 at 11:28 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread