Tip us?

bbkr
Old
(Last edited by bbkr; 21st July 2014 at 10:25 PM.) Reason: add CWM info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Snopow M8 - root and OTA fix

Hi

I've just bought Snopow M8 Android 4.2.1: http://www.snopow.com/product_view.p...pl=phone_view1 and I'd like to share some knowledge about this phone:

Rooting can be done as described on http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-H...K6589-Tutorial - it worked flawlessly on Mac OS X.
(if you are afraid of running unknown software on sudo use ADB from official android SDK)

OTA update is broken. I've debugged the issue and it connects to nonexistent URL:

Code:
I/SystemUpdate/HttpManager( 2881): doPost, url = mota*mediatek*com/fota/download/login.php, mCookies = null
D/FrameworkListener(  126): dispatchCommand data = (getaddrinfo mota.mediatek.com ^ 1024 0 1 0)
D/libc-netbsd(  126): getaddrinfo: mota.mediatek.com NO result from proxy
D/libc-netbsd(  126): res_queryN name = mota.mediatek.com, class = 1, type = 1
D/libc-netbsd(  126): res_queryN name = mota.mediatek.com., class = 1, type = 1
D/libc-netbsd( 2881): getaddrinfo: mota.mediatek.com NO result from proxy
D/libc-netbsd( 2881): res_queryN name = mota.mediatek.com, class = 1, type = 1
D/libc-netbsd( 2881): res_queryN name = mota.mediatek.com., class = 1, type = 1
I/System.out( 2881): [CDS][DNS]Unable to resolve host "mota.mediatek.com": No address associated with hostname
W/System.err( 2881): java.net.UnknownHostException: Unable to resolve host "mota.mediatek.com": No address associated with hostname
The solution was to root the phone, download Hosts Editor app from http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...com.treb.hosts and add
Code:
IP: 218.249.47.103
hosts: mota.mediatek.com
entry. Which resolves to "ota.mediatek.com" by the way :)

NFC won't start up. When clicked in settings option gets stuck in greyed mode. ADB output:

Code:
D/NFCJNI  (  810): Start Initialization
D/pn544_libhardware(  810): nfc_open:
E/NFC-HCI (  810): Could not open /system/vendor/firmware/libpn544_fw.so
E/NfcService(  810): Watchdog fired: name=enableInternal threadId=51 timeout=90000
E/NFCJNI  (  810): emergency_recovery: NFC stack dead-locked
I haven't found the solution. Anyone encountered similar issue? Google / forum searching did not reveal any useful information about it except the fact that it comes from Nfc.apk.

ClockWork Recovery Mod can be installed using:
ADB drivers - http://adbdriver.com/downloads/
MTK Droid Tools - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2160490
I've followed instructions on http://phtechbook.blogspot.com/2014/...id-device.html
I was using Windows XP in VirtualBox on Mac OS X (remember to activate phone USB device in virtual machine menu if you are using the same method).

Internal store can be swapped with SD card by changing two lines in /system/etc/vold.fstab from:

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host
to

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host
and rebooting. Do it on clean phone or do factory wipe in recovery mode after this swap because otherwise it will mess up already installed apps.

Now it will be possible to install big and extremely dumb apps (such as Need For Speed: Most Wanted) that cannot simply store its bulky data on external SD for unknown reasons...

Phone is vulnerable to SMS "=" exploit and still lacks OTA update.

Stock ROM is available on http://www.needrom.com/mobile/snopow-m8/ . I haven't tried it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bbkr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeroDiamond
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i have the M8 sinds 2 days but where can i find the folders and file or do i need a special program for it.

i also have that every micro sd card sayes that its damaged... formatted on pc and in the phone. tried 5 different ones

Internal store can be swapped with SD card by changing two lines in /system/etc/vold.fstab from:

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host
to

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host
and rebooting. Do it on clean phone or do factory wipe in recovery mode after this swap because otherwise it will mess up already installed apps.

Now it will be possible to install big and extremely dumb apps (such as Need For Speed: Most Wanted) that cannot simply store its bulky data on external SD for unknown reasons...

bbkr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
[QUOTE=ZeroDiamond;53877428]i have the M8 sinds 2 days but where can i find the folders and file or do i need a special program for it./QUOTE]

If you are referring to SD card swap - you have to root the phone first and use toll such as Root Explorer (on phone) or ADB shell (from computer, phone has to be connected using USB cable in debug mode).

I have no idea why your phone reports SD cards as "damaged". Solve this issue first, SD card swap is NOT the solution to your problem!

drsjmiddleton
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default NFC functionality

Hi There,

thanks for all your work on this phone.

Have you found out how to get the NFC working?

bbkr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsjmiddleton View Post
Have you found out how to get the NFC working?
I've contacted reseller and it appeared that NFC was not in spec they received.

On Snopow site it says "NFC customizable". Maybe phone is missing some hardware and they didn't properly undefined it in software causing weird error?

I've wrote them about this (and many others) error but Snopow support is TERRIBLE. They simply ignored every email I've sent, pure "buy and go f*ck yourself" policy.

bbkr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
UPDATE: My Snopow M8 broke few days ago - flashlight died.
I'll let you know how they handled warranty.