Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Lightbulb [Q] Viber messages backup anyone?

OP zlephone

30th January 2012, 03:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Can any of the Viber users or soft dev guru help on this little problem.

I love Viber and I love my SGS2, now after few months of owning and learning, I want to start playing around specifically changing my Rom and what not.

Now my problem is i have 13,000+ exchange messages with my GF on viber and I really wanna keep it, as i understand that when I change my Rom I have to do a data wipe and all. I know there's a backup/restore function but is there a guarantee that i can restore Viber with all the messages still there?

Can someone provide a walk around? I have tried google for solution and used the search here but there was nothing except the android team saying its something that they "might" incorporate in the future - that's backing up of the messages.

I hope other users are on the same ship with me here. thanks in advance...
20th February 2012, 12:05 PM   |  #2  

1 posts
It is posible via Titanium backup, but you need get root on your SGS2 first.
30th June 2012, 04:07 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 18

61 posts
On a rooted phone copy the /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages file to sd-card or whatever.

After new install, put the file back, make sure it has the right permissions and do a compleate restart of Viber.

Done and done.

(Its very lazy of Viber to not include a backup-functionality of messages, as this is SQLite databases that could very easily be dumped out to disc and imported)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Olangu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2012, 10:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag Gent
Thanks Meter: 45

357 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olangu

On a rooted phone copy the /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages file to sd-card or whatever.

After new install, put the file back, make sure it has the right permissions and do a compleate restart of Viber.

Done and done.

(Its very lazy of Viber to not include a backup-functionality of messages, as this is SQLite databases that could very easily be dumped out to disc and imported)

good trick, agree that viber is lazy
7th September 2012, 10:11 PM   |  #5  

1 posts
viber message storage
I could not find /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages in my LG CM7.2 Android.

I need help, Please can anyone confirm me again please where viber is stored messages locally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olangu

Done and done.

1st October 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #6  
Auckland
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
I have the same problem with backup and restore old Viber messages. I managed to backup (or rather email messages history) from my old HTC Desire but could not restore them on my new Samsung S3). What's the use of backup without restore function?

Oh! I can't find /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages on SD card too. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
The Following User Says Thank You to thkam For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th October 2012, 07:00 PM   |  #7  

1 posts
Copying the database doesn't work for me. Here's what happens:

When I make a fresh installation of viber and replace the empty (fresh) /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages database file with my backup (old) one, viber crashes every time I launch it. I was careful to set permissions to rw- rw- --- as the fresh file has them.

What can I do - maybe export the records in the backup db file and reimport them into the fresh one?

If the previous question has no easy answer, at least can someone tell me what's happening so I can try to figure out an alternative approach?
4th November 2012, 01:27 AM   |  #8  
Flag Padova

11 posts
More
Hello,
I've successfully backuped and restored Viber on my S III but I've got an issue with contact names: it randomly picks another contact name instead of the real one.
Anybody had the same issue? How did you solve it?
thanks!
5th November 2012, 10:48 PM   |  #9  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 13

112 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizio84

Hello,
I've successfully backuped and restored Viber on my S III but I've got an issue with contact names: it randomly picks another contact name instead of the real one.
Anybody had the same issue? How did you solve it?
thanks!

I have the exact same problem. Once upon a time, I had an older version of the software saved on TiBu which I was able to restore and the messages stayed to the right person. Unfortunately, I don't have that version or backup anymore. I just downloaded another older version of the software from a thread here on XDA and I'm about to install it and see if it fixes the messages list problem...

Update: That version wouldn't open on my phone, it just FCed (could be because I'm running the vzw jellybean leak). Off to search for another version...
Last edited by storm81456; 5th November 2012 at 10:53 PM.
21st May 2013, 05:37 AM   |  #10  

2 posts
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by aungsan

I could not find /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages in my LG CM7.2 Android.

I need help, Please can anyone confirm me again please where viber is stored messages locally?

Only Root Explorer can see that folder, worth the $3.75 i paid

The Following User Says Thank You to zoozth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread