Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] oprofile: functional after initial Android setup?

OP Belamigo

25th August 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Funchal
Thanks Meter: 6

53 posts
More
One of my Android phones (the third in my signature), with limited /data partition storage size, shows a large subdirectory, 'oprofile' in /data/bin/oprofile. Running out of space in this partition seems to be a common problem, so I'd like to keep it as lean as possible.

Some research shows oprofile to be a tool for 'tuning' an Android setup -- but exactly when it's useful is not clear, from what I've been able to find.

My question is, is oprofile purely useful while Android is being configured for a specific phone's hardware? In this case, perhaps someone just forgot to delete it, after it served its purpose -- and then, there's no harm in removing this subdirectory and regaining the space it consumes.

Or, does oprofile serve an continuing purpose, being used by the OS to continue the 'tuning' -- as the user adds new apps? In this case, that directory is functional and should be left alone. Or, is there data in these files, created during the initial 'tuning' that must be retained, for the benefits to continue?

? So, what to do? Take it out, or leave it in??
Last edited by Belamigo; 2nd September 2014 at 10:34 AM.
28th August 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Funchal

53 posts
More
Exclamation Moderator, should this post be moved to a different forum?
! Bump !

to the moderator, it's been three days with no reply.
Could you suggest a different forum as being more appropriate for this type of question?
2nd September 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Funchal

53 posts
More
Unhappy Bump, again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belamigo

! Bump !

to the moderator, it's been three days with no reply.
Could you suggest a different forum as being more appropriate for this type of question?

... to the moderator, it's been over a week since the original post, with no reply. This secion is quite active, so it another 'Bump' OK after this lapse of time?

Please suggest a different section, or a different forum, where there may be interest in replying to this type of question.

There was discussion of oprofile in a Developers' Forum for a specific phone, but I hesitate to repost this question into that thread -- unless you say only these folks have an opinion on this utility. This is a general question, not specific for any one brand of phone -- apparently oprofile may be used with a variety of devices, as well as other distros of Linux.
Last edited by Belamigo; 3rd September 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
data partition, oprofile
Previous Thread Next Thread