Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] What password phrase is used for decryption in Android?

OP JuggerRUS

9th July 2014, 07:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
Hi,

I just bought Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and want to setup it like my old Galaxy Nexus. Also I want to stay with fully stock ROM for a while so I need to perform everything without root.

I need encryption set on my phone. Problem was that for some reason Samsung ROM does not allow PIN unlock on encrypted device. Password wasn't convenient so I searched for workaround for this.

Solution was to install Tasker+Secure Settings and change lock type to PIN just once. Everything was perfect, PIN lock was set permanently. BUT, when I rebooted the phone I wasn't able to decrypt storage with old password. My device can be only decrypted with new PIN now.

How the hell that could be? I believed that when I set encryption password it will be used for decryption. Obviously for me now, it's not.

My question is: what encryption key is used for data decryption in Android? You can change password or PIN and decrypt device with it easily. In other words: what data (encryption key) should be hacked in order to decrypt the phone and where is it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
encryption, encryption key, password, pin, security
Previous Thread Next Thread