Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 47,122 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Suggest an Android phone for this specific need

Tip us?

badplanet
Old
(Last edited by badplanet; 7th August 2014 at 08:14 PM.) Reason: Forgot title
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Suggest an Android phone for this specific need

I am looking for a way to download device apps such as the Kreyos phone app ( these are all free apps) from Google Play store and be able to get those apk's off of the phone and on to my Android tablet.

I have been using a Nexus 7 which has worked well but the last couple of devices I have purchased, Google Play will not allow me to download the apk because my Nexus 7 is not a phone. So the question is what would be the recommended pre-owned device I should get that will still allow me to download apps meant for an Android phone but still allow me to get to both Google Play and the apk when downloaded.

I realize it is probably a stupid question but I do not know if any Android phone would work like a Galaxy or only a Nexus would work. Would it have to be unlocked?

If it makes a difference, I use Verizon but if a suitable phone was not available or too expensive, I would be willing to go with a phone I could not use on Verizon but still use Google Play on.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 517

DONATE TO ME
Root the Nexus and change the build.prop to say, a Nexus 5, so the Play Store thinks it's a phone.

This article is a bit older, but explains what doing this means and how to do so. http://muzso.hu/2012/10/01/how-to-ge...e-in-google-pl

Just plug in an appropriate newer phone for the settings.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]