Originally Posted by dualmp
below are instructions from my memory and links from untested roms. follow at your own risk. cheers
Vaguely, the steps are:
1) Rooting: I used Baidu 1 click root (chinese) . Some guy used Framaroot and works on u980:
2) After rooting, install Mobile Uncle Tools (below)
3) Use Mobile uncle to install the u980 twrp recovery (CHinese version only below)
4) copy roms to root of sd card
5) Boot into recovery and install downloaded roms from SD card
U980 MIUI V5_4.4.3升级版.zip ---- not tested
u980 miui_v5 04.5.2.zip ---- not tested
u980 recovery chinese version
Mobile uncle for flashing above recovery
Not sure if the below works and whether it has similar CWM or TWRP you can use
[ROOT] Rashr - Flash Tool
Thanks for all the info but Im having some hard time finding the drivers to detect the phone on my PC.
The thing is that I read that to make a backup, I need first to use "MTK Droid Root & Tools" which would also allow me to root my phone. But that software doesn't detects my phone at all.
I connected my phone as CD drive, then it shows the drivers for it, installed but nothing changes. Device manager detects my phone.
Could you please help me a little on this? I would like to backup the whole ROM and phone before doing any risky changes and also want to backup the IMEI just in case.
Thanks in advance!