[Q] S4 to windows vista file transfer crashes windows explorer

OP boredude001

28th August 2014, 01:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
This question has been asked numerous times, but I found no resolution.

I have windows vista 64 bit, Galaxy s4 (SCH1545) running android 4.4.2. I have developer options enabled, and USB debugging is allowed. Phone is currently connected to the USB port as a media device, and in the windows explorer, it shows up as portable media player. I also have SD card installed in the phone where I keep my media files.

I just got my data cable yesterday, so I plugged my S4 into one of the ports in my USB splitter (4 ports). And all hell broke loose. My device wasn't recognized, the drivers weren't installing (cdc serial, samsung_android, the usual suspects).

Then I installed the samsung kies, it shows my device, but the drivers weren't installed still.

Then my windows started updates which failed to install the drivers over 10 times, I think. Then it dawned on me, the errors the updates were showing dealt with the device not being plugged in, and that I was going into the computer through a USB splitter.

So I shuffled my external drives around and freed one of the 2 USB ports on my computer. And I directly connected S4 into the USB, and repeated the windows driver updates, and it recognized the device. I even moved an mp4 file to the phone as a test and it worked fine.

But moving the same MP4 file back from the phone to a folder in windows, crashes the windows explorer. Every time.

Also if I try to launch the MP4 or AVI file that I moved into the SD card, from the folder in the phone, and it also crashes the windows explorer. Every time.

So I tried to launch any kind of media file (MP3 this time) on the phone using the windows, and it crashes the windows explorer every time.

So far the only way to get the file off my phone is to take the SD card out and put it into the windows. This works fine, but it's a hassle which is why I bought a data cable.

tl;dr

If I launch any media files in the phone using windows explorer, windows explorer crashes and restarts. If I try to copy the file from the phone to windows, explorer crashes and restarts, however, I can copy a file from the windows to the phone without explorer crashing.

What is a solution to this?

Maybe all you smart developers can come up with some hack or app or something.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread