Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S5 stuck on ATT splash screen. Please help!

OP naelscp1

5th July 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I was going to theme my girlfriends Galaxy S5 with Nova Launcher, but when opening the app, for some reason the phone started to bootloop. It would show the Samsung Screen, then the ATT screen, then it would reach the home screen. After doing so, the same process would occur.

I wiped the dalvik cache and after that, the phone would just stop at the ATT splash screen, and has only done that since. It can last hours on that screen... which in my eyes, means the OS's system files are corrupted.

Now she just came back from Italy and had all of her pictures on the phone (which is only 2 weeks old). I am willing to do whatever to recover the pictures, as long as I don't void the warranty.

I can access the recovery mode and download mode on the device. I have Samsung Kies, ADB, an OTG cable, and a Note 3 for myself. What I am not willing to do is format the device...

Samsung Galaxy S5
ATT
Non Rooted
Stock ROM

Any help? It's all deeply appreciated!
Last edited by naelscp1; 5th July 2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Edit: Added device specifications
5th July 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 224

351 posts
More
Why not use Odin to reflash the official firmware? If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't lose any of those pics...as long as you don't wipe data in recovery. I remember doing this for a friend and she was concerned about not losing any pics on her phone. Don't quote me on this though. Do it at your own risk.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM
5th July 2014, 05:55 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naelscp1

I was going to theme my girlfriends Galaxy S5 with Nova Launcher, but when opening the app, for some reason the phone started to bootloop. It would show the Samsung Screen, then the ATT screen, then it would reach the home screen. After doing so, the same process would occur.

I wiped the dalvik cache and after that, the phone would just stop at the ATT splash screen, and has only done that since. It can last hours on that screen... which in my eyes, means the OS's system files are corrupted.

Now she just came back from Italy and had all of her pictures on the phone (which is only 2 weeks old). I am willing to do whatever to recover the pictures, as long as I don't void the warranty.

I can access the recovery mode and download mode on the device. I have Samsung Kies, ADB, an OTG cable, and a Note 3 for myself. What I am not willing to do is format the device...

Samsung Galaxy S5
ATT
Non Rooted
Stock ROM

Any help? It's all deeply appreciated!

Hmm ... that sounds quite weird. I would just bring it back to support and see if they can do anything.

As for the pictures, I guess the "Android File Transfer" app might still be working if the OS boots up to a certain stage. Have you tried that one yet?
5th July 2014, 06:50 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozen-s4bb

Hmm ... that sounds quite weird. I would just bring it back to support and see if they can do anything.

As for the pictures, I guess the "Android File Transfer" app might still be working if the OS boots up to a certain stage. Have you tried that one yet?

I have a windows computer... any other app you can think of that would be able to access the phone while its off/booting?

And regarding support... Like Samsung Support?
5th July 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnoicatse

Why not use Odin to reflash the official firmware? If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't lose any of those pics...as long as you don't wipe data in recovery. I remember doing this for a friend and she was concerned about not losing any pics on her phone. Don't quote me on this though. Do it at your own risk.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM

Thanks, I did some searching around and apparently it does wipe.
6th July 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Bump. With me possessing her phone, she has no mobile device so I really want to make sure she can have a device soon.

Can anyone confirm the recovery by using Odin to flash official firmware?
8th July 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 224

351 posts
More
Here are the steps you should do to recover your GF's phone,

1- download official firmware from Samsung-updates.com (make sure its official at&t firmware)

2- download Odin (this is used to flash official firmware)

3- unzip the firmware you downloaded. Inside should be .tar file. This is the file that must be flashed

4- unzip Odin if needed to, inside should be exe file to run Odin.

5- put phone into download mode (hold vol. Down + home button + power button same time) you'll get a screen where it asks you to press volume up or down to either cancel or proceed to download mode. Go into download mode

6- run Odin and plug in your phone

7- Odin should then recognize your phone telling which port your phone is plugged into (ex. Com4). If it is indeed connected and recognized move on to the next step.

8- press the PDA button on odin, a window should pop up where you can locate the .tar file. Look for the file wherever you extracted it to. After you find it double click it.

9- .tar file should now be in the PDA slot. (Please note that "auto reboot, reset time and pda should be the only boxes that should have a check, make sure nothing else is checked mark) by default the the checks should already be there and you shouldn't have to do anything but I thought I'd let you know just in case.

10- press start and wait till everything is done

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

After some research of my own, it seems that flashing the stock firmware over your phone will not wipe any data or apps as long as you didnt wipe/factory reset your phone in recovery

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

I've taken the liberty in helping you out in providing the links that needs to be downloaded.

Odin- https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...4HEzhIe9X2JgwA

Official At&t firmware- http://samsung-updates.com/details/2...37UCUAMDL.html
Last edited by djnoicatse; 8th July 2014 at 06:43 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread