Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

SDcard, nandroid backups.. = no security!!!

OP goja

3rd July 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 91

1,917 posts
If you loose your phone or someone steals it, people can access all the data in your SDcard. But that's not all : if you made some nandroid backups, he can easily extract them with some tools (even TB on android will do..) and access literally everything. This is a big security issue, i'm surprised if no recovery supporting encryption is being worked on (never heard of it actually). What do you think about this?
4th July 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

1,917 posts
Ok already gone past page 1 and no replies.. Are you using your Android at home(s) only or what?
7th July 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,917 posts
Come onnnnnnnnnnnn
7th July 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #4  
Flag Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Thanks Meter: 473

1,030 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goja

If you loose your phone or someone steals it, people can access all the data in your SDcard. But that's not all : if you made some nandroid backups, he can easily extract them with some tools (even TB on android will do..) and access literally everything. This is a big security issue, i'm surprised if no recovery supporting encryption is being worked on (never heard of it actually). What do you think about this?

I have TWRP version 2.7.1.0 and I can encrypt my phone's backups with password.

2nd thing is that you can encrypt whole phone and SD card on Android 3.x and higher (this is not pattern/password/pin lock, this is different) . So even if some techno savvy thief gets his hands on encrypted phone, he must do TOTAL WIPE (wipe data, card, cache etc) to get something like TB working which will wipe backup also.

Sent from my GT-I9001 Gadget of Mass Destruction with CM11 using XDA Developers App.
Last edited by hnkotnis; 7th July 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
encryption, fail, lack, security
Previous Thread Next Thread