Ask a question

No registration required

Navigation Bar Spacing Width Problem!

OP Jnn1

20th May 2014, 08:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59

327 posts
After much searching on xda, I successfully added softkeys to my galaxy note 10.1 (2014) by editing build.prop ("qemu.hw.mainkeys=0") and then reduced the height/width to 36, by decompiling, editing and recompiling framework-res.apk.

Yet, as you can see in the attached picture, the navigation bar keys are spaced out edge-to-edge, both in landscape and portrait, making it quite cumbersome to use.

My question is, what do I need to do to adjust the space between the navigation bar keys, to make it more normal like a Nexus 7 or 10 device?

I'm on kitkat with Samsung TW, but since these softkeys were added on, I'm guessing only stock kitkat related files need to be edited. But I have no idea what I need to edit, to keep the buttons closer together ....

All help and advice would be dearly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400529606182.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2753360  
Last edited by Jnn1; 20th May 2014 at 09:03 AM.
3rd July 2014, 11:32 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 60

179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnn1

After much searching on xda, I successfully added softkeys to my galaxy note 10.1 (2014) by editing build.prop ("qemu.hw.mainkeys=0") and then reduced the height/width to 36, by decompiling, editing and recompiling framework-res.apk.

Yet, as you can see in the attached picture, the navigation bar keys are spaced out edge-to-edge, both in landscape and portrait, making it quite cumbersome to use.

My question is, what do I need to do to adjust the space between the navigation bar keys, to make it more normal like a Nexus 7 or 10 device?

I'm on kitkat with Samsung TW, but since these softkeys were added on, I'm guessing only stock kitkat related files need to be edited. But I have no idea what I need to edit, to keep the buttons closer together ....

All help and advice would be dearly appreciated!!

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? Same tablet same problem.
15th July 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59

327 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7786

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? Same tablet same problem.

Nope. It seems I need to modd framework and SystemUI, but since the latter included samsung enhancements, decompiling and recompling it is a mess.

I ve tried several xposed framework modules to no avail too. Gravity Box allows me to change buttons and commands of the navbar but not the spacing between the keys.

I am unfortunately not a developer, and don't have the ability to deodex, modd, recompile SystemUI without breaking other stuff. Hoping some custom roms will have the function in the future.

If you find a solution, do let me know. I ll keep you posted if I find one too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Jnn1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
key, kitkat, navigation bar, spacing, width
Previous Thread Next Thread