[SOLVED] Soft-Bricked HTC Desire 601 Zara_UL S-ON

OP black-venomz

1st October 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

26 posts
Hello fellow Android users,
I am here to ask for your help.

Just to be clear, my phone is an HTC Desire 601 locked with FIDO, use to have Android 4.4.2, Zara_UL, Unlocked bootloader, S-ON and no OS installed.

My HTC Desire 601 has had a rough week.
Everything went well for unlocking the bootloader, rooting, installing new recovery.

Then I wanted to go S-OFF, but Firewater told me the current kernel was blocking the exploit.
So I decided to flash KofilaKernel for my device and try again. The install went well,
only problem was I wiped my cache and system and now, NO MORE OS INSTALLED and still S-ON.
Couldn't use Firewater anymore...

So I tried installing custom ROM and also tried going back to stock, miserably failing.

A. I tried flashing InsertCoin custom ROM wich failed because of S-ON (forgive noobishness)

B. I tried using "fastboot boot" command that made possible flashing custom ROM with S-ON.
I was counting on this one, but had problems too : Most recoveries wouldn't boot (ClockWorkMod several versions, TWRP several versions) except one TWRP recovery wich booted, but the touch screen WAS NOT ACTIVATED. Tried using side buttons with no luck, and power button just locked the screen. I have heard that Google has changed the fastboot boot for newer android versions and that you had to add something to the command like :
"fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img"
This example is for Nexus 4 I think, but I don't know the one for Desire 601... I tried it and it wouldn't boot.

C. I have tried "fastboot flash system system.img" with stock image. Had an error saying not enough memory available.
I wiped everything with TWRP and with CLCKWRKMOD : System, cache, dalvik cache, etc... tried again to flash system with no luck.

D. I have tried the Telus RUU.exe file. Told me I had the wrong RUU for my phone and to find the right one, wich doesn't exist for Android 4.4.2 as far as I know.

E. I have tried flashing several versions of 4EXT recovery to get SmartFlash, but it is not compatible with HTC Desire 601.

There I am.
Please help a brother with unusable new phone LOL.

Thanks a bunch for any help.
black-venomz
Last edited by black-venomz; 13th October 2014 at 03:19 AM.
1st October 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 590

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-venomz

Hello fellow Android users,
I am here to ask for your help.

Just to be clear, my phone is an HTC Desire 601 locked with FIDO, use to have Android 4.4.2, Zara_UL, Unlocked bootloader, S-ON and no OS installed.

My HTC Desire 601 has had a rough week.
Everything went well for unlocking the bootloader, rooting, installing new recovery.

Then I wanted to go S-OFF, but Firewater told me the current kernel was blocking the exploit.
So I decided to flash KofilaKernel for my device and try again. The install went well,
only problem was I wiped my cache and system and now, NO MORE OS INSTALLED and still S-ON.
Couldn't use Firewater anymore...

So I tried installing custom ROM and also tried going back to stock, miserably failing.

A. I tried flashing InsertCoin custom ROM wich failed because of S-ON (forgive noobishness)

B. I tried using "fastboot boot" command that made possible flashing custom ROM with S-ON.
I was counting on this one, but had problems too : Most recoveries wouldn't boot (ClockWorkMod several versions, TWRP several versions) except one TWRP recovery wich booted, but the touch screen WAS NOT ACTIVATED. Tried using side buttons with no luck, and power button just locked the screen. I have heard that Google has changed the fastboot boot for newer android versions and that you had to add something to the command like :
"fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img"
This example is for Nexus 4 I think, but I don't know the one for Desire 601... I tried it and it wouldn't boot.

C. I have tried "fastboot flash system system.img" with stock image. Had an error saying not enough memory available.
I wiped everything with TWRP and with CLCKWRKMOD : System, cache, dalvik cache, etc... tried again to flash system with no luck.

D. I have tried the Telus RUU.exe file. Told me I had the wrong RUU for my phone and to find the right one, wich doesn't exist for Android 4.4.2 as far as I know.

E. I have read about 4EXT recovery and SmartFlash, but the only way to get 4EXT recovery seems to be through app and I don't have any OS so it's impossible.

There I am.
Please help a brother with unusable new phone LOL.

Thanks a bunch for any help.
black-venomz

I'd just reinstall a rom based off of your current firmware and then you need to copy the boot.img out of it and flash in bootloader. The command you'll want to use is:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Be cautious trying to run KK roms on JB firmware as you'll have issues with the radio and touch, bare minimum. Only ways to update firmware are via being S-Off and doing a firmware update of just the essentials or find a KK RUU for your phone, if it is available.
1st October 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

I'd just reinstall a rom based off of your current firmware and then you need to copy the boot.img out of it and flash in bootloader. The command you'll want to use is:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Be cautious trying to run KK roms on JB firmware as you'll have issues with the radio and touch, bare minimum. Only ways to update firmware are via being S-Off and doing a firmware update of just the essentials or find a KK RUU for your phone, if it is available.

So a ROM based on my current firware wouldn't need S-OFF to be installed ? Can I install stock ROM via recovery even if S-ON ?
Do you know where I could find such thing ?
Many thanks.

black-venomz
1st October 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #4  

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So a ROM based on my current firware wouldn't need S-OFF to be installed ? Can I install stock ROM via recovery even if S-ON ?
Do you know where I could find such thing ?
Many thanks.

black-venomz

Correct, you can install a rom while S-On, as long as you install the boot.img separately. You can install a rom based off of stock, but you won't be able to do the official RUU type rom from it unless there is an RUU zip for your phone (some HTCs have this, but most are just via an exe of a PC) but that would actually go through the bootloader instead of recovery.
1st October 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:

Correct, you can install a rom while S-On, as long as you install the boot.img separately. You can install a rom based off of stock, but you won't be able to do the official RUU type rom from it unless there is an RUU zip for your phone (some HTCs have this, but most are just via an exe of a PC) but that would actually go through the bootloader instead of recovery.

Ok great !
So I have access to a stock ROM apparently. I can't post links yet, but if you look up on Google "htcdesire 601 stock rom" you will find a google docs page with the stock ROM for desire 601 4.4.2.

Would you be king enough to walk me through the steps to achieve this ? There are many .img files in this folder and I am far from an expert.

Thanks again.
black-venomzz
1st October 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
I did :
1. Copy whole .zip file on sd card found when searched "htc desire 601 stock rom" on google in google docs pasge (can't post link yet).
2. Install .zip with TWRP.
- Failed (still bootloop) -

The tried :
1. fastboot flash boot boot.img (boot.img was found in the .zip file)
2. Copy whole .zip file on sd card
3. Install .zip with TWRP
- Failed (still bootloop) -

I'm probably missing something here...
2nd October 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #7  

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
You might not have the correct zip for your variant of 610. They make a few and could depend on the carrier as well. Should also factory reset in TWRP.
2nd October 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:

You might not have the correct zip for your variant of 610. They make a few and could depend on the carrier as well. Should also factory reset in TWRP.

Still need help guys ! I believe I have the right one.
Could you check it out ? It looks legit.
**drive**.google.**com/folderview?id=0B6WBFlAKqe30ZG1wOGk2T0xwTkE&&tid=0B 6WBFlAKqe30TjRLa2Qxa0toYlU

(I still can't post links on threads because I'm new...)

I tried Installing ROM from zip in TWRP (successful) and then fastboot flash boot boot.img but still didn't work !
My phone is still bricked.

Any help would be appreciated.
2nd October 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #9  

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Still need help guys ! I believe I have the right one.
Could you check it out ? It looks legit.
**drive**.google.**com/folderview?id=0B6WBFlAKqe30ZG1wOGk2T0xwTkE&&tid=0B 6WBFlAKqe30TjRLa2Qxa0toYlU

(I still can't post links on threads because I'm new...)

I tried Installing ROM from zip in TWRP (successful) and then fastboot flash boot boot.img but still didn't work !
My phone is still bricked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Couldn't find that page, even after taking out the asteriks. But you'll need to boot to the bootloader and run this command:

fastboot getvar all

to find out your exact model/region/carrier/etc.
2nd October 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:

Couldn't find that page, even after taking out the asteriks. But you'll need to boot to the bootloader and run this command:

fastboot getvar all

to find out your exact model/region/carrier/etc.

I ran the command. See attachment. I don't know how to compare it to ROM.

Here is the link again :
**https**://**drive.**google.**com/folderview?id=0B6WBFlAKqe30eUh3WXB4eURwRjQ&&tid=0B 6WBFlAKqe30TjRLa2Qxa0toYlU

If it still fails (wich truly shouldn't) I access it by searching "htc desire 601 stock ROM" on Google and it's the first one, the page is called "Firmware"

Thank you for your help !

Edit : I know why the link fails. It seems xda adds a space somewhere in the link. Need to remove it for the link to work.
Last edited by black-venomz; 2nd October 2014 at 07:43 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, brick, htc desire 601, soft brick, zara_ul
Previous Thread Next Thread