[Q] Does my tablet really need to undergo initial charging?

OP blakegriplingph

18th August 2014, 02:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

131 posts
Donate to Me
More
Is it even necessary? Some claim that I should give them an initial charge for like six hours to even a day, while others don't. In the case of a just-purchased Allwinner-powered tablet with a Lithium iron phosphate cell, do I really need to initialise it?
22nd August 2014, 09:02 AM   |  #2  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 224

818 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegriplingph

Is it even necessary? Some claim that I should give them an initial charge for like six hours to even a day, while others don't. In the case of a just-purchased Allwinner-powered tablet with a Lithium iron phosphate cell, do I really need to initialise it?

It's lithium ion, not iron.

And no. There's a lot of myths and misinformation about lithum ion and polymer batteries that are holdovers from NiCad and NiMH. You don't need to peak charge it, you don't need to drain it to zero, you don't need to condition it periodically, they don't have "memory" like NiCads did. In fact, if you're going to not use it for a while, it's best to only have a moderate charge rather than drain or fully charge it.

Charge it when it needs to be charged, use it when you want to use it, and don't worry about anything.
22nd August 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

16 posts
More
I would like to explain to you myself how smartphone/tablet charging works. But this was already solved by recognized XDA Senior Adam Outler.
As i have not yet reached my 10th post legibility. I'm just going to leave the titles of the vidoes, plus one by Marques Brownlee(MKBHD).

Adam Outler's: Smartphone Charging, an XDA investigation < 1st Result

MKBHD: Top 3 Battery Myths! < 1st Result
Last edited by Radigen; 22nd August 2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, battery, initial charging, tablet
Previous Thread Next Thread