Unknown issue with Google Play services - Gmail 5.0

Search This thread

shubhodeepbiswas

Feb 22, 2015
Solution For Google Play services and other Gapps to Work

Hi all,

I have this weird issue with the new Gmail 5.0 (updated directly from Play Store) and it keeps brining this message up and FC: Unknown issue with Google Play services. All the other Google apps work perfectly fine, it's just the new Gmail and Inbox that don't work.

Deleting the GmsCore.apk and re-installing via Play Store is not an option as it wouldn't let me in the Store then. I am running LegacyXperia CM11 on my Xperia Ray. I should mention that I side-loaded an updated services apk from apkmirror.com, perhaps, someone can upload their Google Play services apk?

Help will be appreciated. :good:
Hi All ,
Follow these steps and Google services will work without any hitch.:good:
1. Go to settings and under security settings check on allow installation from unknown sources.
2. Now download Titanium Backup ** phone must be rooted ** from play store
3. Download previous version of Google play services (I have attached one ) or you can Google one. and put it in your phone memory .
4. Open the Titanium Backup go to backup/restore tab search for Google play services and select it and uninstall it.
5.Restart your phone.
6. via file manger install the Google play service from the file.
7. Once installed run the apps Gmail/Play Music/Hangouts and add your Google account via app.
8. And your Google play service will be automatically updated latest version .
9. Kudos all G apps will be running smoothly.
:cowboy:

Last edited:
Reactions: ttk81 and JeffXT

JeffXT

Jul 12, 2013
Hi All ,
1. Go to settings and under security settings check on allow installation from unknown sources.
3. Download previous version of Google play services (I have attached one ) or you can Google one. and put it in your phone memory .
4. Open the Titanium Backup go to backup/restore tab search for Google play services and select it and uninstall it.
5.Restart your phone.
7. Once installed run the apps Gmail/Play Music/Hangouts and add your Google account via app.

Thank you, CONFIRMED WORKING for Nexus 7 (2012)!

I had an issue with Google Play Music when I flashed CM 12.1 4/19 nightly over a CM 12 nightly. Google Music, Hangouts, and Gmail all work fine now.

MWFD

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
When I try to reinstall from file explorer, I get the App Not Installed message. This was after I uninstalled from TiBu. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Running CM 12.1 5/17 nightly on Nexus 7 (2013) flo.

Syakery

May 24, 2015
i make it with i uninstall updated google play service ..
if u open n it noticed that u need to updated google play service, donnt do it... just go to settings > apps >'the apps u cant open' > uninstall updated... hope it can fix your problem

RonnieSoak

Jan 12, 2014
Solution

This happened quite randomly to me. I'm running a rooted phone with a version of CyanogenMod.

I solved it by following these steps:
1) Go to Settings
2) Select Apps
3) Swipe to "All" and scroll down to Google Play Services
4) Select Manage Space
5) Select Clear all data at the bottom

Now open Gmail again and it should work.

TheContinental

Nov 1, 2010
This is also just happened to me this morning. Suddenly my calendar and GMail stop working and prompting the error "Unknown error in Google Play Services".

I tried to remove and re-add the Google account but no success. Clearing cache and application data also no luck for me.

I tried to Google this case and one of the guy suggesting to do these following steps and it works for me:

1. Untick the Android Device Manager from Setting - Security - Device Administrator

2. Go to Setting - Apps then look for Google Play Services. Click on Uninstall updates.

3. Reboot the phone

4. Open HangOut and it will prompt to update Google Play Services.

5. Update the google play services.

6. Done.

Now everything is working again for me.

Maybe you guys can try it. Hopefully it will helps.
Thank you so much for the tip on how to uninstall/reinstall Google Play Services and make the hurt go away. It worked! Kudos.

Jessv814

Sep 15, 2015
My android just started this too. It's a t-mobile galaxy exhibit (don't kno all the tech stuff, sorry :( I tried clearing cache on Google services framework and Google play services. Didn't help. What now? I need to check my email but it won't open. Also keeps saying that com.google.process.gapps has shut down or has issues. Don't kno what that is! I only update. I'm not rooted so no moving stuff around. Any help would be appreciated! THX! :)

ashifashraf5

Jan 3, 2014
Xiaomi Poco F1
Do you suffer from space insufficiency?
Are you trying to cure that thing by moving applications that get updated from /data/app to /system/app?
If yes then this might be your problem. Here is what I had.

With latest Google play services update all Google apps (Maps, YouTube, Gmail and Inbox by gmail) were working fine.

Then I needed space so I took the updated Google services apk which took a lot of space in my data partition and moved it to my system partition where its predecessor used to be. I did it completely well using root explorer and checking all tricky parts. I should mention that I study computer engineering and I've been into android more than 5 years so I know my way around.

Immediately after the transfer:
YouTube didn't load anything.
Gmail showed me the same message as you.
Maps force closed.
Inbox by gmail showed me a message of "oops something went wrong please try again later".

It is now my understanding that Google play services has become a very sensitive application that sadly should not be messed with. Especially with a completely redesigned and revamped app such as gmail 5.0 or inbox by gmail. They are just not THAT compatible yet to be able to keep working together after they've been moved around inside partitions.

My suggestion find the latest .zip of "pa gapps" flash it, update the apps that need updating and leave them as they are. They should work like that.

Hello there. I'm just curious. Did you also moved the Google play services library files to system/lib manually. If not it would give an exact error message like the one you mentioned here. If not, try extracting the lib folder files from the apk using any app (I use rar) and place the files into /system/lib

Sent from my HTC Desire X using XDA Free mobile app

leoyinjou

Sep 15, 2015
This is also just happened to me this morning. Suddenly my calendar and GMail stop working and prompting the error "Unknown error in Google Play Services".

I tried to remove and re-add the Google account but no success. Clearing cache and application data also no luck for me.

I tried to Google this case and one of the guy suggesting to do these following steps and it works for me:

1. Untick the Android Device Manager from Setting - Security - Device Administrator

2. Go to Setting - Apps then look for Google Play Services. Click on Uninstall updates.

3. Reboot the phone

6. Done.

Worked like a charm for me, even when I have skipped step 3 (reboot phone). :p
Thank you very much man! :good:

-- Motorola Moto G Dual SIM 1st Generation (XT1033) running rooted stock Android Lollipop 5.1

droidboy87

Jan 6, 2014
It's working!! Thanks

3. Reboot the phone

6. Done.

Thank you so much, it's working. I was really starting to get frustrated.:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::good::good:

ChopOMatic

Aug 4, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I picked up this error after installing Xposed on Marshmallow. Seems like different things are working for different folks, but here's what did it for me:

1. Went to Play Store and uninstalled all updates for Google Play Services, Gmail, and Hangouts.
2. Went to each of those three apps and cleared both cache and data.
3. Rebooted.
4. Opened Gmail, and everything started updating and worked.

KrimsonHart

Nov 22, 2011
bangalore

3. Reboot the phone

6. Done.

The moment i did this, google play stopped working xD hahahaha i had to download play services from internet and install.

heraSK

Mar 11, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
I had the same issue on LG G3 stock MM. I flashed Pico Gapps Package (Only Google play services) and cleared its data. I don't know which one of those steps (or both) did the trick but it worked. Google Inbox works again...

John.Massiass

Jan 12, 2012
Faiyum

3. Reboot the phone

6. Done.

This method worked like a charm for me :good:, even before updating the google play services, device only needed for a restart...
Thanks mate :)

thecell864

Aug 10, 2016
solved for Me

i am on Eui rom 5.5. I disabled the google play service then clear data and cache and also clear cache for gmail app.It worked for me.I dont know the tech behind this but its worth trying:p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Reboot the phone

6. Done.

Had the same issue

I had the same issue this two days Gmail wasn't working at all and Hangout was working but for every action i was taking it was giving me the error Unknown issue with Google Play Services and i found out the in my case the problem was Link2SD so what i did was unlinking Google Play Store and Google Play Services than i uninstalled Google Play Services and installed it againn but didn't linked them and error was gone.
    The conclusion on my case was linking the app to sd card was causing the error.
    It's working!! Thanks

3. Reboot the phone

6. Done.

Thank you so much, it's working. I was really starting to get frustrated.:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::good::good:
    Solution

This happened quite randomly to me. I'm running a rooted phone with a version of CyanogenMod.

I solved it by following these steps:
    1) Go to Settings
    2) Select Apps
    3) Swipe to "All" and scroll down to Google Play Services
    4) Select Manage Space
    5) Select Clear all data at the bottom

Now open Gmail again and it should work.
    Solution For Google Play services and other Gapps to Work

Hi all,

I have this weird issue with the new Gmail 5.0 (updated directly from Play Store) and it keeps brining this message up and FC: Unknown issue with Google Play services. All the other Google apps work perfectly fine, it's just the new Gmail and Inbox that don't work.

Deleting the GmsCore.apk and re-installing via Play Store is not an option as it wouldn't let me in the Store then. I am running LegacyXperia CM11 on my Xperia Ray. I should mention that I side-loaded an updated services apk from apkmirror.com, perhaps, someone can upload their Google Play services apk?

Help will be appreciated. :good:
    Hi All ,
    5.Restart your phone.