Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

using libart.so from Android L in KitKat?

OP 9Lukas5

5th July 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag near Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 1,270

2,759 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi,
the title says it all: Is it possible to use the libart.so from Android L in Kitkat? As there are many improvements as I heard of now, this would be great if that's possible

L
5th July 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Lukas5

Hi,
the title says it all: Is it possible to use the libart.so from Android L in Kitkat? As there are many improvements as I heard of now, this would be great if that's possible

L

I was wondering the same thing. I am using ART right now on kitkat but inam not getting anything close to the gains Google talked about at IO
6th July 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,641

2,296 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi,

L

As far as I am aware it's not possible as there are additional options that would need to be set during the compiling of the ROM itself. Also the version of ART of Kitkat and Android L are quite different, and trying to run the Android L version on KitKat would cause many incompatibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mageos

I was wondering the same thing. I am using ART right now on kitkat but inam not getting anything close to the gains Google talked about at IO

The version of ART in KitKat was an early implementation designed to give developers a taste of whats to come not as a general use feature for the public. As a result the performance in ART on KitKat and on Android L will be quite different, and it's unrealistic unfortunately to expect to see Android L performance gains on the KitKat version of ART. Keep in mind as well ART will keep getting tweaked and improved by the time the final version of Android L is released.
6th July 2014, 10:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag near Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 1,270

2,759 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yeah using directly the libart.so from Android L in KitKat sounds strange, but shouldn't it be possible for the devs to include the progress from Google into their source? Or are there parts of ART Google didn't publish?

L
7th July 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,641

2,296 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yeah using directly the libart.so from Android L in KitKat sounds strange, but shouldn't it be possible for the devs to include the progress from Google into their source? Or are there parts of ART Google didn't publish?

L

In theory it's possible to provide this as Google has started to add components of the Android L preview to it's open source repositories (I haven't looked which particular components have been updated and hadn't been updated), however how well the complied sources would play with KitKat if at all is debatable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread