Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 53,777 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] android 4.4.2 "hosts" file Google Play problem?

Tip us?

ryan012
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] android 4.4.2 "hosts" file Google Play problem?

I'm on android 4.1.2 rooted LG G2. I had to reset phone after removing root. I then got root again but now Google Play Store was missing. I tried downloading a Google Play .apk and Google Play Services. I edited hosts file and added # in front of second one. It worked for some minutes but stopped.now when I looked at hosts file, it's empty. Now when I open hosts editor app it says error parsing hosts file.
I tried clearing app store and google play services data and cache but it don't work. It's the hosts file that's empty. I took a screenshot of what it was before it went blank. What do I do to fix it ?

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan012 View Post
I'm on android 4.1.2 rooted LG G2. I had to reset phone after removing root. I then got root again but now Google Play Store was missing. I tried downloading a Google Play .apk and Google Play Services. I edited hosts file and added # in front of second one. It worked for some minutes but stopped.now when I looked at hosts file, it's empty. Now when I open hosts editor app it says error parsing hosts file.
I tried clearing app store and google play services data and cache but it don't work. It's the hosts file that's empty. I took a screenshot of what it was before it went blank. What do I do to fix it ?
If your not rooted you really can't fix it. What more than likely happened is you somehow created more than 1 Google play file inside the system/app or data/app folders. You need root to remove them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
VZW S3 - Wicked 4.3
SGT2 7.0 - SOKP

"Ultimate awareness comes from when you seek the truth."

ryan012
Old
(Last edited by ryan012; 8th August 2014 at 03:28 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue View Post
If your not rooted you really can't fix it. What more than likely happened is you somehow created more than 1 Google play file inside the system/app or data/app folders. You need root to remove them

I said in the post I got root again after I did factory reset. Now play store isn't working.
What are the file names ? Are you talking about two files the same kind or two .apk files installed ? I tried searching and didn't find anything. earlier I tried uninstalling play services and play store and reinstall one from online. What do I do ? Without reset phone ?

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 694
Quote:
I said in the post I got root again after I did factory reset. Now play store isn't working.
What are the file names ? Are you talking about two files the same kind or two .apk files installed ? I tried searching and didn't find anything. earlier I tried uninstalling play services and play store and reinstall one from online. What do I do ? Without reset phone ?
Both. You can also uninstall play services if you'd like. You may have to reset the phone

VZW S3 - Wicked 4.3
SGT2 7.0 - SOKP

The Following User Says Thank You to ShapesBlue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ryan012
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Both. You can also uninstall play services if you'd like. You may have to reset the phone

I tried moving them to system apps and it hasn't fixed it. Do you know any other way except reset ?

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 694
Quote:
I tried moving them to system apps and it hasn't fixed it. Do you know any other way except reset ?
Nope I sure don't

VZW S3 - Wicked 4.3
SGT2 7.0 - SOKP

ryan012
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Nope I sure don't

I had fixed it after reinstalling firmware because after trying something it got stuck on startup and wouldn't start into android.