Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] android 4.4.2 "hosts" file Google Play problem?

OP ryan012

8th August 2014, 03:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

124 posts
I'm on android 4.1.2 rooted LG G2. I had to reset phone after removing root. I then got root again but now Google Play Store was missing. I tried downloading a Google Play .apk and Google Play Services. I edited hosts file and added # in front of second one. It worked for some minutes but stopped.now when I looked at hosts file, it's empty. Now when I open hosts editor app it says error parsing hosts file.
I tried clearing app store and google play services data and cache but it don't work. It's the hosts file that's empty. I took a screenshot of what it was before it went blank. What do I do to fix it ?
8th August 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 845

4,517 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan012

I'm on android 4.1.2 rooted LG G2. I had to reset phone after removing root. I then got root again but now Google Play Store was missing. I tried downloading a Google Play .apk and Google Play Services. I edited hosts file and added # in front of second one. It worked for some minutes but stopped.now when I looked at hosts file, it's empty. Now when I open hosts editor app it says error parsing hosts file.
I tried clearing app store and google play services data and cache but it don't work. It's the hosts file that's empty. I took a screenshot of what it was before it went blank. What do I do to fix it ?

If your not rooted you really can't fix it. What more than likely happened is you somehow created more than 1 Google play file inside the system/app or data/app folders. You need root to remove them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
8th August 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

124 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue

If your not rooted you really can't fix it. What more than likely happened is you somehow created more than 1 Google play file inside the system/app or data/app folders. You need root to remove them

I said in the post I got root again after I did factory reset. Now play store isn't working.
What are the file names ? Are you talking about two files the same kind or two .apk files installed ? I tried searching and didn't find anything. earlier I tried uninstalling play services and play store and reinstall one from online. What do I do ? Without reset phone ?
Last edited by ryan012; 8th August 2014 at 04:28 AM.
8th August 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #4  

4,517 posts
More
Quote:

I said in the post I got root again after I did factory reset. Now play store isn't working.
What are the file names ? Are you talking about two files the same kind or two .apk files installed ? I tried searching and didn't find anything. earlier I tried uninstalling play services and play store and reinstall one from online. What do I do ? Without reset phone ?

Both. You can also uninstall play services if you'd like. You may have to reset the phone

The Following User Says Thank You to ShapesBlue For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th August 2014, 05:31 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

124 posts
Quote:

Both. You can also uninstall play services if you'd like. You may have to reset the phone

I tried moving them to system apps and it hasn't fixed it. Do you know any other way except reset ?
8th August 2014, 06:05 AM   |  #6  

4,517 posts
More
Quote:

I tried moving them to system apps and it hasn't fixed it. Do you know any other way except reset ?

Nope I sure don't

22nd August 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

124 posts
Quote:

Nope I sure don't

I had fixed it after reinstalling firmware because after trying something it got stuck on startup and wouldn't start into android.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread