A Look at the Telegram+ Situation

more

Remove Unlocked Warning Message from Moto E 2015

more

Multi Boot: The Fall of Nandroid?

more

NVIDIA SHIELD: The Tegra X1 Powered Android TV Box

The post NVIDIA SHIELD: The Tegra X1 Powered Android TV Box appeared first on … more

Info 2 [UTIL][APP]Lenovo Security / LeSec app (anti-virus/spam/theft/firewall)

OP cybermaus

14th September 2012, 09:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth
Thanks Meter: 462

1,203 posts
Edit: Important: The newer V4 version of LeSec may no longer be usable for non-Chinese speakers. See this post #17 here, also to discuss alternatives

For all you Lenovo users out there,

I wanted to (re-)introduce this application. Because I have the impression that many Lenovo phone users rather quicly move on to migrated ROM's from for example APKHOT/Smileyvvv/Etotalk etc, where this app is cooked out.

You may want to reconsider going back to it, if it will still work on your phone with whatever ROM you have. It is really a very useful utility:
  • Firstly, it is a virusscanner. Not sure how useful a virusscanner is on Android, and as I want to avoid that discussion in this thread, that is the last I say about it.
  • It is also anti-spam. You can black- or whitelist SMS and Calls. See screenshots for an impression. Very useful.
  • Anti-theft is there. Send SMS upon SIM change, or remotely instruct the phone to send location or self-destruct. I suspect, but did not try, the SMS instruction is stored in /system, so a data-wipe will not undo this. But a good hacker will fully flash, so it only protects against noob thieves, like all anti-theft apps.
But those are common functions, readily availible in other apps. But now for the interesting feature:
  • It has a firewall. If that is the correct name. Or an app-wall. An permission-wall? You know those apps that you download that for some reason want permission to send SMS? Why does it need that? Or why does it want to read my contacts?
    Well, you can per-app decide to block a permission. This app does not need to read my contacts. That app does not need to send SMS. And it will show you if an app tried to anyway. How cool is that?
  • Guest- and Childmode. Hide some apps. After all, we do not want junior to see daddies tripple-X rated apps. Or the wife. Which is why you can also hide certain contact's and call-history entries (wink, wink). It may also apply to banking apps and your bookie, though that is a bit more boring. Oh, and in Child mode the radio turns of as we want to protect junior from radiation...
    Some of you that use Etotalk or APKHOT ROMS may have noticed the notification area buttons to these last two that were dead because this app was missing.

We could of course worry about whether this app in itself is not a spy, reporting everything you do to the Chinese government. But you may not be aware that this is true for *any* Chinese clone you buy. Typically those clonemakers do not release the kernel or framework source, so such a spy would be in there, not in a de-installable app. And if you are really worried about it, make sure you get a phone where you can install CyanogenMod compiled from source.

Personally, I doubt either Lenovo or China is interested in me, and if they do it means they have a Infinitesimals bigger datastore to clog their machinery before they find something on people like Liu Xiaobo or Tenzin Gyatso, which is actually a good thing. But I suspect the app is simply without such sinister intentions.

Anyway, attached is the version I got from my phone. From a Lenovo A750 ICS 4.0.3 S306. But I suspect it works with any phone that uses the Lenovo Framework, so any Lenovo ICS phone that has a not too heavily modded ROM. It did also work on the ICS 4.0.3 Lenovo P700 ROW S113 (Rest Of World edition) edition.

I provide update.zip installers for MT6575 and MT6577 (because I know their partition table). It probably also works on Lenovo Framework phones based on MT6573/MT7513 or even MSM7227/MSM7527, maybe even GB ones. But then you need to take the two *.apk files from inside the zip file, and copy them manually into /system/app, as the update.zip installer will not work for that.

But do try, and please report back if it does or does not work on your phone/rom. There is also an uninstall package. Oh, and you are messing with /system, so as always, at your own risk, ensure you can always flash back a working ROM or have a Nandroid backup before you experiment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000003.jpg
Views:	3160
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1325473   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000019.jpg
Views:	2459
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1325474   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000004.jpg
Views:	2088
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1325475   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000005.jpg
Views:	1679
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1325476   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000006.jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1325477   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000007.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1325478   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000008.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1325479   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000009.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1325480   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000010.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1325481   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000011.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1325482   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000012.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1325483   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000013.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1325484   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000014.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1325485  
Attached Files
File Type: zip LenovoSecurity_for_MT6575_ICS.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.53 MB, 1133 views)
File Type: zip LenovoSecurity_for_MT6577_ICS.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.53 MB, 1468 views)
File Type: zip Lenovo_ICS_remove_LeSec.zip - [Click for QR Code] (209.1 KB, 947 views)
Last edited by cybermaus; 28th October 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added uninstall package
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cybermaus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2012, 11:35 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 85

198 posts
Thumbs up
Your zip didn't work on my A789, which is using the apkhot based rom available on forum.china-iphone.ru. After extracting the apk files, copying to /system/app and manually setting permissions, it's working like a charm.

Thanks, I really missed it. On the most recent cooked roms, I miss many things available on the Lenovo official ones, like the fm transmitter, or the butterfly-like widget on the default home screen. Some cookers tend to leave out any non standard apps without even taking some time to know what they do. Not all Chinese apps are rubbish or impossible to understand, and Lenovo is a serious company.
14th September 2012, 12:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

1,203 posts
Ok, here you have the FM radio and transmitter of the A789, but it probably does not work, as it is Odex'ed.
And I uploaded seperate installers for MT6575 and MT6577

Also, on your APKHOT, please confirm it actually blocks permissions and blacklists SMS. I am not sure how much the APKHOT deviates from the Lenovo Framework, so merely being able to install and configure may be too soon to tell.

PS: why not try my factory-cleaned A789 ROM? It comes with all those apps by default, and I now have 3 positive feedback.

Come to think of it, why did I take this security app from A750, when A789 is newer....
Edit: Because they are both the same version. In fact the LeSec has not changed since Dec 2010, according to the internal dex binary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A789_FM.zip - [Click for QR Code] (418.3 KB, 228 views)
Last edited by cybermaus; 14th September 2012 at 08:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cybermaus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2012, 01:16 PM   |  #4  

198 posts
I have tested call blocking and it works, but it isn't so important, since call blocking is a built in feature of the Mediatek framework. You can block calls from any contact you have on your Google account just out of the box, and it works great. I've tested older phones which used older Mediatek chipsets and that feature has been part of the Mediatek framework since MT6573.

The FM transmitter won't work that way, since it is odexed. But it doesn't work deodexed, either. I've just got a deodexed version of the app, thanks to a friend from another forum, and it doesn't work very well. It works, but I had to stick the phone to the antenna on my radio in order to hear something. People I've talked to say that the transmitter works great on the stock Lenovo roms, so maybe it's just some incompatibility with the apkhot roms.

The only reason I'm not using your rom (which I have downloaded) is that I wanted to setup the phone in Spanish, and the rom I'm currently using is the only one I've found which contains that language. Just a quick question: is there any noticable performance increase on the s227 based roms? If so, I don't care using the phone in English, since I just want the most feature rich rom.
14th September 2012, 07:21 PM   |  #5  

198 posts
Thinking it twice, I've remembered another reason. One of the things I like most about the apkhot rom I'm using is that the external sdcard is mounted on /sdcard and not /mnt/sdcard2, which avoids problems with many apps. I tried one of the newest apkhot roms, based on s227, and none of the tricks to exchange /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard2 worked with it.
14th September 2012, 08:20 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

1,203 posts
I'll reply to that in the A789 thread, as we seem to deviate from the security app.
16th September 2012, 10:05 AM   |  #7  
Flag Leipzig
Thanks Meter: 4

108 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermaus

Edit: Because they are both the same version. In fact the LeSec has not changed since Dec 2010, according to the internal dex binary.

I remember there was an update of that app on my A750 with your ROM. Now with apkhot I installed that package posted above and I have the older / original version. But there is no update offered...
16th September 2012, 11:10 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

1,203 posts
That was probably on the S148 Gingerbread ROM. That one has an older version. I know, because I messed up trying to install it, as I had that older GB version and the new ICS one both in my Titanium backup. Also, the Dec 2010 date is probably false, I just got OTA ROW_S114, and it too had all files timestamed to Dec 2010. But I am certain the LeSec from S306 and S227 are the same, the binary compared identical. Official version is V3.5.1.3.5.2.0041 and the update button tells me there is no newer.

Every so often it does update the virus/blacklist signatures, but that is not the app itself. Current virus signature 2012.09.14 Current harasment (blacklist) 2012.07.11

But if you find a newer one, please do let me know.
Last edited by cybermaus; 16th September 2012 at 11:17 AM.
17th September 2012, 08:28 AM   |  #9  

198 posts
I've been trying LeSec further and it works, but I found a problem I wasn't able to fix, so, until I found a solution, I've freezed it with Titanium Backup. The problem is that I'm using Go SMS Pro, instead of the default messaging app, since I need to write SMS in Spanish and the default app doesn't support Spanish characters like accents, etc. Go SMS Pro works, but every time I send an SMS, LeSec thinks an unauthorized app is trying to send an SMS in the background, and shows a popup to let you decide whether to allow it or not. I haven't found a way to disable that, and it's a bit annoying having to click two buttons everytime I want to send a message.
17th September 2012, 08:38 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Earth

1,203 posts
Its probably a silly question, but you did go into LeSec->ChargeShield-SMS and ensure that your app was allowed to send SMS in background?

Probably for reasons of 'likely form of attack' the SMS apps are (unlike other permissions) by default in a 'Warning' setting, but if the warning does not come to the foreground on your phone, it may simply not work.

Also, rather than freezing LeSec completely, you could go into ChargeShield, and simply turn of the ChargeShield.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lenovo
Previous Thread Next Thread