FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Androidx86 & Forks for UEFI Windows based tablets (custom kernels)

1,772 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,189

By HypoTurtle, Senior Member on 12th February 2016, 07:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Androidx86 & Forks using custom kernels
for UEFI Windows tablets
Android 6.0 Marshmallow [Stock Download] [Source]
Android 4.4.4 KitKat [As above]
RemixOS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) [Stock Download] [Source]
PheonixOS 1.0.3 (Android 5.1.1) [Stock Download]
Custom Kernels Included

Cube i7_Stylus

kernel device_tree
Android 6.0 MM -- post @Wootever
Android 4.4.4 KK -- post [Additional Files] @Wootever
RemixOS 2.0 -- post @asplash
PhoenixOS 1.0.3 -- post
Kernels -- located here

Hacks-Scripts-Tools
Hacks and workarounds that can be used to overcome reported issues. These will be primarily bash scripts; hopefully these can be included in the source code in some way if useful/needed.
Scripts
General scripts - use an app to launch them at boot; or make use of /etc/init.sh
Sleep mode [effectiveness will depend on what sleep modes your device/kernel has access to (`dmesg | grep ACPI`); and will need to be modified if your screen brightness is reported elsewhere]
Code:
watch -n 60 '[ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" = "0" ] && echo "mem" > /sys/power/state' &
Which watches the brightness level every minute and if it's zero then puts the device into S3 sleep.

This can be modified in cases where specific modules don't comeback after sleep like the following for a rotation sensor
Code:
watch -n 60 '[ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" = "0" ] && setprop ro.sleep 1 && echo "mem" > /sys/power/state' &
watch -n 60 '[ "`getprop ro.sleep`" = "1" ] && [ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" != "0" ] && setprop ro.sleep 0 && am force-stop com.android.launcher3 && rmmod kxcjk_1013 && modprobe kxcjk_1013' &
Which restarts the kxcjk_1013 module and restarts the launcher on wakeup
Build.prop edits
RemixOS
ro.remixos.box=true
changing this value to false opens up more options in settings/taskbar and is preferable on tablets
ro.remixos.no_wallpaper=true
changing this to false will let you have a wallpaper if you turn of the file based launcher in settings
RMXTool by @imadlatch is a great tool for resizing data/system.img and having a poke through the system.img while in Windows
Proposition

It should be trivial to modify the ramdisk of Androidx86 ROMS to bind mount an additional .img to host the device specific modules/firmware for trying out new generic ROM releases - obviously full ROM build are preferrably but not always available.
Will need to have a look into the module packing that the build does in order to pack correctly when just compiling a kernel & modules.
XDA:DevDB Information
Androidx86 & Forks, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
HypoTurtle
ROM OS Version: KitKat; RemixOS/PhoenixOS (Lollipop); Marshmallow

Version Information

Created 2016-02-12
Last Updated 2016-02-12
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HypoTurtle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HypoTurtle Ad-Free

12th February 2016, 07:22 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Reserved
INSTALLATION
There are numerous ways these can be installed and there are numerous post reporting different methods, so please don't repeat posts detailing the same issue.
I will list tried and tested installation methods (using Grub2) and a quick rundown of what makes upa grub.cfg file
The Following User Says Thank You to HypoTurtle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HypoTurtle Ad-Free
12th February 2016, 07:22 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Reserved
FAQ
If you have a question that hasn't been answered so far - have a look here first before posting
The Following User Says Thank You to HypoTurtle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HypoTurtle Ad-Free
14th February 2016, 10:15 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Thanks @HypoTurtle for making a separate thread for Android releases on the Cube i7 Stylus device! The original thread became quite messy, and it is important to have a dedicated one for Android.

First of all, I think we should really thank the great developers in this forum, @Wootever @asplash @HypoTurtle and all other members and testers for their contribution in preparing a good android image for this tablet.

I've been testing all Android releases in the main thread, and the most stable and usable one was Wootever's 4.4 release.

All other Lollipop (RemixOS and Pheonix OS) and Marshmallow releases seem to suffer from a few major problems:
1) lack of efficient stand by / sleep mode
2) high battery drain
3) no video codecs supporting hardware acceleration

I wonder if this is the case with other x86 based laptops/tablets , and whether the x86-android team are working on fixing these essential features.

Keep up the great work everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to KamaL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KamaL Ad-Free
18th February 2016, 08:41 PM |#5  

More
@HypoTurtle
Can you please post the script in the first entry for sleep mode in the lollipop releases?

also, any new updates or releases ?
2nd March 2016, 05:50 PM |#6  

More
A new beta release of RemixOS has been released.
http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-p...il#downloadNow

Has anyone tested it?
The Following User Says Thank You to KamaL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KamaL Ad-Free
2nd March 2016, 06:28 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaL

A new beta release of RemixOS has been released.
http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-p...il#downloadNow

Has anyone tested it?

Stock RemixOS Beta, runs with a reported 4.4.2 kernel with as expected wifi not working, switching to the 4.4.0 kernel/modules/firmware we are currently using will work, but I'd rather wait until when/if the kernel source is released.

EDIT. Cube i7 Stylus kernel + modules attached. These are taken from RemixOS Alpha - so it's the kernel @asplash compiled. You need a rooted system.img or unpack/repack system.img within Windows/Linux. Just copy files over / and run the sh while running to set permissions. Then switch the kernel.

Too big to attach so available here
5th March 2016, 12:38 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Just a couple of screenshots, it's seems very few people have figured out how to get rotation to work, and I'm sure even fewer have found how to enable apps like Twilight, Lux or Tincore Keymapper...
I'll post procedure in a bit just making sure it doesn't irreversibly mess with anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-41-48.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	3670533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-43-01.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	3670534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-24-45.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	3670535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-52-44.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	3670541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-53-06.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	3670542  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HypoTurtle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HypoTurtle Ad-Free
7th March 2016, 10:20 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoTurtle

Stock RemixOS Beta, runs with a reported 4.4.2 kernel with as expected wifi not working, switching to the 4.4.0 kernel/modules/firmware we are currently using will work, but I'd rather wait until when/if the kernel source is released.

EDIT. Cube i7 Stylus kernel + modules attached. These are taken from RemixOS Alpha - so it's the kernel @asplash compiled. You need a rooted system.img or unpack/repack system.img within Windows/Linux. Just copy files over / and run the sh while running to set permissions. Then switch the kernel.

Too big to attach so available here

Thanks.
Can you explain step by step how to do it?
Also, any improvements over the previous builds in terms of battery consumption and sleep mode?

Thanks
7th March 2016, 03:25 PM |#10  
Flag Patras
Thanks Meter: 29

More
<MOD EDIT - Non-English Quote Removed.>
Bluetooth not working (same with remix os) for me and I expand data.img with RMXtools but still in android I see 3gb,is there other way to expand?and i can see only 2678MB of ram
7th March 2016, 03:52 PM |#11  
Flag Patras
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asplash

essayer d'ajouter
"blacklist btusb" dans /system/etc/modules.blacklist
et redemarre

Thanks,bt is working now,for data.img and ram?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)