(Obsolete) [Magisk] [2017.1.3] phh's SuperUser topjohnwu r2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

allen099

Feb 22, 2010
New York
How do you go about installing it as a system app? I cannot install Magiskv2 app as a normal app.

I used this site here:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-any-app-as-system-app-on-android/

Make sure you set permissions.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Added FAQ in the OP

My tester with v2 phh root only, using the v2 unroot method and he got transmission working
However after he flashes Xposed, it won't let him to buy things (I've tried to kill all Xposed background services but it won't help)

So people who really want to try Android Pay, don't do other mods yet, please test with only:
Stock rom + Magisk v2 + this phh root v2

Thank you very much!

P.S. The temp unroot issues in custom roms shall be fixed in Magisk v3
@topjohnwu, amazing work sir.

I have a N6p running stock. I installed Magisk v2, followed by the phh superuser v2. I had to pull the Magisk app out of the common folder and install as a system app, which now shows up and works.

My phone, however, is still not able to pay for items after disabling root. Is there anything that you'd like/recommend for me to try? Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Reactions: cuneyttekinay

datafoo

May 11, 2010
The new FAQ added in the OP address this issue. You can delete the former Magis manager and try intalling PHH superuser v2 again, or if that didn't work (like me!), unzip the PHH superuser file and install the Magisk.apk as a system app.

I was able to extract Magisk Manager and install it as you suggested.

Question @topjohnwu I prefer Magisk Manager V1, any expected issues if I install that instead of the V2?

CSX321

Aug 21, 2009
Southern IL USA
My phone, however, is still not able to pay for items after disabling root.

Mine, either. I have an N5. I have no trouble installing any of this, but AP doesn't work.
Here's what I did:
  1. Uninstalled v1 Magisk Manager app and phh Superuser app
  2. Flashed stock boot, recovery, and system
  3. Booted to system
  4. Made a successful payment (vending machine here at work--got a Dew!)
  5. Booted to bootloader
  6. Temp booted TWRP
  7. Flashed v2 Magisk and v2 Magisk-compat phh Superuser
  8. Booted to system
  9. Installed phh Superuser app and made sure root was working normally
  10. Disabled root in v2 Magisk Manager app
  11. Tried a payment, but got the "unroot your device" message :(

elreydenj

Aug 12, 2012
Mine, either. I have an N5. I have no trouble installing any of this, but AP doesn't work.
Here's what I did:
Uninstalled v1 Magisk Manager app and phh Superuser app
Flashed stock boot, recovery, and system
Booted to system
Made a successful payment (vending machine here at work--got a Dew!)
Booted to bootloader
Temp booted TWRP
Flashed v2 Magisk and v2 Magisk-compat phh Superuser
Booted to system
Installed phh Superuser app and made sure root was working normally
Disabled root in v2 Magisk Manager app
Tried a payment, but got the "unroot your device" message :(
I can report the same. Came from a fresh install and followed the exact same instructions as above. DP5 on Nexus 6P.

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
And another reporting the same. :( N6P, stock, rooted phh, Magisk v2, no other mods, stock recovery. Just tried to buy a bottle of bourbon and the transaction failed. I do still pass Safetynet though.

Reactions: FunkeeC

BeRniTo

Sep 18, 2010
Like the PN users above, it results in a half-unrooted state; apps like Titanium Backup can't obtain root, but the superuser daemons are still running
[/code]

I had the same issue but it got fixed after I installed phh's Superuser app. After opening Titanium Backup I was asked to grant root permission.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I had the same issue but it got fixed after I installed phh's Superuser app. After opening Titanium Backup I was asked to grant root permission.

I think you misunderstood my post. It wasn't that I can't get root access for TiBu (or any other app for that matter), but that I couldn't unroot fully via the button. This is an issue with custom roms like PN and Chroma, and @topjohnwu has stated v3 should resolve this.

Cares

Dec 2, 2010
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I can't seem to install Magisk Manager since upgrading versions. I deleted the folder from /data/apps. When I try to install the apk it doesn't let me. I also tried flashing the phh magisk file and it doesn't work, it only recreates the folder in /data/apps but not show up in my app drawer. Help?

Edit: Nevermind figured out I had to install as system app.

Last edited:

n2phoenix

Dec 8, 2015
Dubai
Unfortunately, there have been multiple reports of being able to add a card but not actually getting a transaction to go through. It's still unclear where the hangup is.
a9fb193c45.png

FYI, turns out there is no CTS profile match with Xposed and phh superuser. I believe there's an additional check at the point when Android Pay needs to actually make a payment, compared to when we should add a card.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
I think people are disabling root which passes safetynet but they are still unable to pay via AP so it's not whether or not it passes safetynet because it does.

n2phoenix

Dec 8, 2015
Dubai
I think people are disabling root which passes safetynet but they are still unable to pay via AP so it's not whether or not it passes safetynet because it does.
If they have Xposed, can they try deactivating it first in the Xposed Installer, reboot and try making a payment again? I did that (except the payment because I have no cards) and SafetyNet is completely passing the tests. No confirmation on whether we can make payments, however.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
Well the whole point was to be able to use AP without the reboot so even if that works, it's not what people want

Reactions: vampire_8_7

n2phoenix

Dec 8, 2015
Dubai
Being able to add a card is not a true test of AP working. If you have Xposed enabled, the payment will not go through. Can you try disabling Xposed via Material Xposed Installer, rebooting, and trying to buy something?
I don't have a card unfortunately, so I can't verify if it makes payments. However, I'm checking it using the SafetyNet Helper app, and I've got these findings in relation to Xposed:

With Magisk's systemless Xposed disabled (but not completely removed from the phone) I ran the SafetyNet test and it returned all successful (request, response validation, CTS profile match) with Android Pay able to add a card. With the same Xposed enabled, however, it fails the CTS profile match, but AP is still able to add a card. I think the CTS test is what determines whether a payment can be made?

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

Well the whole point was to be able to use AP without the reboot so even if that works, it's not what people want

The step forward here is that we can toggle root without rebooting. That's a positive for those who don't have Xposed, but have Magisk's systemless root and phh's superuser.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
What positive? People want to use AP and even though it passes safetynet, AP doesn't work and the reports mentions xposed wasn't even installed so it's not xposed. Unless you've actually added a card successfully don't say it works. Just because you got to a certain point in the AP app doesn't mean you can add a card successfully.

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
OK, then maybe I'll use the super aggressive kill in the next update.
This will kill all current root apps process and background root shells.
Be aware! This may cause issues to background running root apps. I'll include them in the next update.

Reactions: joeyddr and adrman

sorewinner

Dec 15, 2008
Thank you for this, even though PHH's root management apk is, to put it politely, not very well-received, if the app's reviews are anything to go by, and personal use. It only works from first install, until reboot. Then, all root requests are denied, since the prompt disappears almost immediately. Are there any other root manager apps that work with this version? I'm running CM13 on an HTC One S.

Last edited:

sansnil

Dec 6, 2007
OK, then maybe I'll use the super aggressive kill in the next update.
This will kill all current root apps process and background root shells.
Be aware! This may cause issues to background running root apps. I'll include them in the next update.

Maybe make this an option? The v2 is working beautifully for me so would prefer to have a choice if it might cause problems. Thanks!

elreydenj

Aug 12, 2012
Maybe make this an option? The v2 is working beautifully for me so would prefer to have a choice if it might cause problems. Thanks!
Beautifully in what way? Can you make payments via AP? What does it enable you to do that you couldn't quite do before? Not being sarcastic here. I am interested.

sansnil

Dec 6, 2007
Beautifully in what way? Can you make payments via AP? What does it enable you to do that you couldn't quite do before? Not being sarcastic here. I am interested.

Correct. I can now have my cake and eat it: I'm rooted and running Xposed but can use AP and receive OTA's without even having to reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Magisk Compatible phh's SuperUser

This thread is obsolete, please check Magisk OP for MagiskSU
    Files removed to prevent confusion

Official thread to phh's SuperUser: phh's SuperUser/ OpenSource SELinux-capable SuperUser

Requirements
    Magisk is required to be installed on your device!
    Magisk - The Universal Systemless Interface
    Features
    • phh's 100% open source root
    • Packed with my own sepolicy-injection tools, which support live patching to work on small boot image devices
    • Magisk compatible, no boot image modifications are required
    • su.d support (place scripts in /magisk/phh/su.d)
    Instructions
    You can install/update phh's SuperUser in Magisk Manager's Download section
    If you have no root in the first place, please flash the zip in the attachment through custom recovery
    A root solution is part of a proper Magisk installation.
    After phh's SuperUser is installed, please install the SuperUser manager Application through the Play Store
    phh's SuperUser Manager

Source
    Changelog

Changelog
    • topjohnwu r2
      - Fix binary out-of-date issue
    • topjohnwu r1
      - Forked from phh main repo, improved daemon launching
      - Fixed Samsung no-suid issue
    • r266-2
      - Preserve /sbin binaries to prevent issues
    • r266
      - Allow priv-app to start root
      - Allow audioserver to execute from memory (for Call Recorder)
      - (Magisk) Change path to /sbin, now same as official phh
    • r259
      - Initial release on Magisk repo
    phh superuser Update
    This update fixes issues if binaries under /sbin is gone and require a restart (rarely, but possible).
    Update is live on Magisk Repo.
    phh's superuser update
    Also live in Magisk Manager now!! Directly upgrade phh's superuser within the app
    Just a small note, old phh root (r259) will NOT work on Magisk v9 (not released yet). However the new phh root (r266) is backward compatible to v7
    Nice, it seems that AP is much simpler than I initially thought it would be :)

It looks like a perfect time for a new Magisk update with the fancy fresh new Magisk Manager.

I won't disable root at the boot time, because AP seems to do checks in the background every some period of time. So I will make the process manually done by the user. I think it is possible to force AP to recheck the root status without the need of manually add a card, but since I cannot use AP in my country I cannot develop further. I hope maybe some developer can find some way to do so (maybe by sending an intent to the AP app?!), if the method is found I'll implement it into the Magisk Manager app.