FORUMS

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[GAPPS][2015-05-26][BETA] PA GApps for Android 5.1, 5.0, 4.4

1st May 2015, 11:43 PM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 109

Donate to Me
More
PA Gapps continuation using buildscripts is an effort to automate the creation of new up-to-date PA GApps packages.
The development process is completely open-source and the idea is to get multiple contributors involved, to secure and reinforce the sustainability of PA GApps development.

A new fresh BETA build with the latest PA GApps can be found at:
A preview ALPHA builds made from the new multi-version multi-architecture experimental script can be downloaded from:If you have the opportunity, please test these builds on your device and provide feedback in the forum!

Current stable development branch can be tracked at:
https://github.com/mfonville/pa_gapps
A new, more powerful, multi-architecture, multi-androidversion is still in development but at this very moment still unstable, it can be tracked at:
https://github.com/pagapps/pagapps

The idea behind this project:
It is sad to see that almost all PA continuation threads have stopped at this very moment.
I believe the source of the problem for having proper (future) maintenance of the PA Gapps package is the lack of time for developers to do labour-intensive repetive every time a new google-app apk is released.
That is why I have taken it upto myself to write some Linux shell scripts to automate the packaging and to share these efforts with the world with the goal to create a team to continue the PA Gapps together.

At the moment I only focus on the Stock PA package, since all smaller packages can easily be created from this one.
At the moment only the android 5.1 series is well supported, but support for other versions will be ready for production soon.
Using my scripts a package can be generated in no-time, so daily updates are easily feasible.
At the moment the scripts are still very experimental and really ugly code. These will be restructured at a later moment.

I work on this project for FREE and putting in a lot of hours into it. While not mandatory, donations encourage me to continue to further pursue this project and I'd deeply appreciate them, if you feel generous.
Donate to MastahF

The goal is not to run this project alone, so I would really like to get in touch with some volunteers to set-up a team.
  • Team management and projectleader: @MastahF
  • Writing of the code: @MastahF & soon: @Rapper_skull
  • QC of the code: @MNBooZe
  • Updating GApp sources: @MastahF (only for now) & @MNBooZe
  • Package testing: @minidude2012
  • The team will need somebody to write and update the FAQ (somebody who is good with graphics, text and people). YOU? PLEASE PM @MastahF!
Last edited by MastahF; Yesterday at 11:46 AM. Reason: New experimental builds; changed title of thread
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to MastahF For This Useful Post: [ View ]

3rd May 2015, 06:27 PM |#2  
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 147

More
I suggest to @hellowasif and @sir*mez to take a look at this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to provolinoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 06:54 PM |#3  
Flag Naples
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Hi, @provolinoo suggested me to take a look at this topic.
I made my own GApps, derived from PA GApps by TKruzze and without knowing I solved some problems that the people that were trying to continue the PA GApps are having.
I completely removed the sizes.prop file and now I measure the sizes of the apps on the fly using unzip. I took a look at your scripts and they're really useful, and reminded me that the APKs need to be zipaligned, which I forgot.
Maybe we can join your scripts, my changes, and a fast internet connection to bring PA GApps back to life.
If you're interested here's the link to my topic, please take a look at it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...stock-t3093389
Last edited by Rapper_skull; 3rd May 2015 at 07:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rapper_skull For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 07:28 PM |#4  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 717

More
Exclamation
Well i wanted to say thankyou so much for such wonderful work you did, Before this i was maintaining the PA-Gapps Packages PA Gapps 4.4.4 and PA-Gapps 5.X everything was going great and i must say i learned a lot by maintaining these Gapps packages and that was very wonderful experience but i was only updating Gapps and Libs, But than i realized that they weren't as perfect as the original gapps packages because the original Gapps package uses two important files which were size and libs list which the packages uses and they were the most important part of PA-Gapps. I tried to update these two files manually but they were two time consuming so i decided to drop this project due to lack of resources but by these scripts it will very easy to create Gapps Packages so i wanted to say thankyou again
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hellowasif For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 07:49 PM |#5  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapper_skull

Hi, @provolinoo suggested me to take a look at this topic.
I made my own GApps, derived from PA GApps by TKruzze and without knowing I solved some problems that the people that were trying to continue the PA GApps are having.
I completely removed the sizes.prop file and now I measure the sizes of the apps on the fly using unzip. I took a look at your scripts and they're really useful, and reminded me that the APKs need to be zipaligned, which I forgot.
Maybe we can join your scripts, my changes, and a fast internet connection to bring PA GApps back to life.
If you're interested here's the link to my topic, please take a look at it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...stock-t3093389

Hey, I looked at your work. Some things are indeed good improvements and I will try to incorporate them into my work if you don't mind.
I also looked at your sizes.prop solution, but honestly I don't like it that much, because although the calculation will be very exact, I don't think it is a good idea to unzip large files and pipe all this data through on our small little phones . I prefer to keep the sizes.prop estimations on the generating-side rather than on the execution-side.

I really would like you to be involved in the project, somebody else also already PMed on the forum, wanting to be involved. I described which tasks and roles are very welcome to be fulfilled within a joint team effort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MastahF For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 08:03 PM |#6  
Flag Naples

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastahF

Hey, I looked at your work. Some things are indeed good improvements and I will try to incorporate them into my work if you don't mind.
I also looked at your sizes.prop solution, but honestly I don't like it that much, because although the calculation will be very exact, I don't think it is a good idea to unzip large files and pipe all this data through on our small little phones . I prefer to keep the sizes.prop estimations on the generating-side rather than on the execution-side.

I really would like you to be involved in the project, somebody else also already PMed on the forum, wanting to be involved. I described which tasks and roles are very welcome to be fulfilled within a joint team effort.

Thank you for your appreciation. The files however are not extracted but I used "unzip -l" that lists the content of the archive with the file sizes. Keep me informed about this project.
3rd May 2015, 08:05 PM |#7  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellowasif

Well i wanted to say thankyou so much for such wonderful work you did, Before this i was maintaining the PA-Gapps Packages PA Gapps 4.4.4 and PA-Gapps 5.X everything was going great and i must say i learned a lot by maintaining these Gapps packages and that was very wonderful experience but i was only updating Gapps and Libs, But than i realized that they weren't as perfect as the original gapps packages because the original Gapps package uses two important files which were size and libs list which the packages uses and they were the most important part of PA-Gapps. I tried to update these two files manually but they were two time consuming so i decided to drop this project due to lack of resources but by these scripts it will very easy to create Gapps Packages so i wanted to say thankyou again

Hi hellowasif,

would you be interested in collaborating then together with other people in a team to bring back PA Gapps using these scripts?
The Following User Says Thank You to MastahF For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 08:08 PM |#8  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 717

More
Quote:

Hi hellowasif,

would you be interested in collaborating then together with other people in a team to bring back PA Gapps using these scripts?

Yes that will be wonderful to work as a team and you count me in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hellowasif For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 08:11 PM |#9  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapper_skull

Thank you for your appreciation. The files however are not extracted but I used "unzip -l" that lists the content of the archive with the file sizes. Keep me informed about this project.

Ah, then i misread your code, I will take a look at it then again. Anyhow, since the files in the package are static, I think at moment of generation is a good moment to get the file sizes

I have btw a question for you, a problem I was not able to resolve myself yet, even though trying a lot.
When creating the .zip-package to be signed and afterwards flashed, I am at the moment not using any compression (but use the -Z store flag).
If I use *any* kind of compression, the package refuses to flash at my phone (GT-i9300) with the message error executing update binary error.
I tried a lot of combinations, like using a different zip-application, compressing only the files outside META-INF etcetera, but nothing seems to work.
So my question is: how do you generate and sign your zip file? On which platform? With which application? With which parameters?
The Following User Says Thank You to MastahF For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2015, 09:04 PM |#10  
Flag Naples

More
Quote:

Ah, then i misread your code, I will take a look at it then again. Anyhow, since the files in the package are static, I think at moment of generation is a good moment to get the file sizes

I have btw a question for you, a problem I was not able to resolve myself yet, even though trying a lot.
When creating the .zip-package to be signed and afterwards flashed, I am at the moment not using any compression (but use the -Z store flag).
If I use *any* kind of compression, the package refuses to flash at my phone (GT-i9300) with the message error executing update binary error.
I tried a lot of combinations, like using a different zip-application, compressing only the files outside META-INF etcetera, but nothing seems to work.
So my question is: how do you generate and sign your zip file? On which platform? With which application? With which parameters?

You will maybe laugh at my reply, but I simply use WinRAR, on Windows, with maximum compression. I do not yet sign the ZIPs because I wanted to generate my own private key instead of using the generic test-key. What you can try to do is update your recovery (if it's not updated) to see if the problem is solved.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gapps, paranoid android
Previous Thread Next Thread