FORUMS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

ReRun Root/Write Protection Removal for a variety of ZTE devices

Announcement from npjohnson: ReRun: Roots and removes Write Protection from the ZTE Majesty in a few clicks! Applies to ALL ZTE devices!
25th May 2015, 06:33 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Augustine, FL
Thanks Meter: 413

Donate to Me
More
Hey all,

Today I present you with Rerun Root for the ZTE Majesty!

Disclaimer
The usual. I am not responsible for any damage done by YOU to YOUR device. As always, anything can brick your phone! Be careful!

What is the ZTE Majesty?

It is an extremely cheap, low end 2013 phone that, honestly, very few people probably have.

Why are you making this?

ReRun isn't about this device in specific, the Majesty was just the only ZTE phone I had in hand. The vulnerability that ReRun relies on (Thanks to Justin Case & Beaups! Without them this wouldn't be possible) is present in nearly all ZTE devices! This allows you to reboot to a mode where Write Protection will be disabled, and it can be re-enabled with a simple reboot (Or not! Your choice!)

Does this work on a Locked Bootloader?

I can't speak for every device, but on most, yes. I.e. ZTE Max, ZTE Blade, ZTE Majesty

I want to port this to x ZTE device?

Read the readme in the attached .zip. It honestly isn't too complicated. If you have a device that you have tested it on that works, send me a PM with your Boot.img, Recovery.img, and their corresponding blocks on the eMMC, and I will add support to ReRun.

What Black Magic is this?
We are taking the boot partition (kernel, ramdisk, etc.) and writing it to the recovery partition, then rebooting to recovery. The reason this works is:
1. The Boot& Recovery images are signed in the same way by ZTE, meaning that the phones don't known the difference, they just see that the signature is valid.
2. When the recovery kernel is booted, it is booted with permission to re-mount system RW, side-stepping Write Protection.

How do I use this?
Open rerun.bat and follow the instructions, you will need to have temp-root (i.e. TowelRoot), and SuperSU installed before running the tool, though, it will walk you through all that.

Supported Phones:

As of now, only the Majesty, but like I stated above, PM your device's Boot.img, Recovery.img, and their corresponding blocks on the eMMC, and I will add support to ReRun.

NOTE:
On several Straight Talk ZTE Phones, there are no Factory Restore Images, and FastBoot is disabled, meaning that if you boot loop, you have close to a 0% chance of recovery. BE CAREFUL!

Downloads:
v1.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1rm1VFiz_2FN1BXZWFBYzc2ZFU/view?usp=sharing

XDA:DevDB Information
ReRun Root/Write Protection Removal, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
npjohnson, npjohnson

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v1.0
Stable Release Date: 2015-05-25

Created 2015-05-25
Last Updated 2015-05-25

25th May 2015, 06:33 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Augustine, FL
Thanks Meter: 413

Donate to Me