Themed Google Keyboards!! Updated: 2/1/2015- 155 Different Choices and Counting!!

What color scheme do you prefer going forward for the original 10 keyboards?

• Leave color scheme as is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaftamle, I have no idea what your talking about.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Shaftamle

Inactive Recognized Themer

Shaftamle

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody that's giving this thread so much action! This being my first post of this nature, I never expected the response to be so good! I'm so glad everyone seems to be lovin these keyboards! Be sure to thank rompnit as well! They did originate from his M.O.A.R. ROM and that is my main insperation for this thread! Thanks again for all the support! Long live ANDROID!

Sent from a Shaftamle Galaxy S4
"Thanks Button" is always appreciated!
http://mycolorscreen.com/Shaftamle/

coldhardtruth

Nov 5, 2011
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody that's giving this thread so much action! This being my first post of this nature, I never expected the response to be so good! I'm so glad everyone seems to be lovin these keyboards! Be sure to thank rompnit as well! They did originate from his M.O.A.R. ROM and that is my main insperation for this thread! Thanks again for all the support! Long live ANDROID!

You're a talented Dev man. Get used to the action. :thumbup:

Reactions: Shaftamle

JuggaloDroid

Sep 28, 2012
No Dice

So I tried installing the ShaftaRed.apk and followed the instructions. I uninstalled google keyboard and tried to install the .apk. I got a message saying that it couldn't be installed because there was already a signed application with that name. So I tried the .zip. Wiped the cache & dalvik in CWM. I installed the .zip and rebooted. Reboot went fine and android updated apps okay. I went to go test it out and I had no keyboard, only voice. I went into the settings and all I had was the voice option and this Hindi option. Had to reinstall google keyboard from the play store and I hoped that the theme would take effect there but no dice. Any idea on what went wrong?

Shaftamle

So I tried installing the ShaftaRed.apk and followed the instructions. I uninstalled google keyboard and tried to install the .apk. I got a message saying that it couldn't be installed because there was already a signed application with that name. So I tried the .zip. Wiped the cache & dalvik in CWM. I installed the .zip and rebooted. Reboot went fine and android updated apps okay. I went to go test it out and I had no keyboard, only voice. I went into the settings and all I had was the voice option and this Hindi option. Had to reinstall google keyboard from the play store and I hoped that the theme would take effect there but no dice. Any idea on what went wrong?

For reasons im still trying to figure out, sometime even if you uninstall it, it leaves files behind. Particurly in th /app/app-lib folder. Try this: Use a root browser. Go to /data/app and delete the Google keyboard apk. Its labeled: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1
Then go to /data/app-lib and delete the folder named: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1
If there are two of those folders that is definitely the problem. That folder the library for the keyboard in it. Once you have deleted one of those folders reboot recovery and flash it again. Let me know what happens.

Reactions: bigmike6200

JuggaloDroid

Sep 28, 2012
For reasons im still trying to figure out, sometime even if you uninstall it, it leaves files behind. Particurly in th /app/app-lib folder. Try this: Use a root browser. Go to /data/app and delete the Google keyboard apk. Its labeled: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1
Then go to /data/app-lib and delete the folder named: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1
If there are two of those folders that is definitely the problem. That folder the library for the keyboard in it. Once you have deleted one of those folders reboot recovery and flash it again. Let me know what happens.

No joy once again unfortunately. I've tried it on mine and my wife's Galaxy Nexus to no avail. We're both unlocked, rooted, and stock 4.3. I've used Rom Toolbox Root Browser to go into the folders you suggested.

Now we both had in /data/app com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1; but, because of the update we also also had one with the suffix 2. The same applied in /data/app-lib. I uninstalled the app update from the play store on both devices. When I went to the root browser this left both of us with latin-1 in both folders. So I deleted the latin-1 in /data/app and rebooted into recovery.

*EDIT* - When I deleted the latin-1 from /data/app and exited the folder I went back into the folder and it was back as if I never deleted it.

I wiped/formatted the cache and dalvik with CWM, installed the .zip and rebooted.

Reboot went fine and with mine I was left with just Hindi and Pinyin for options in my input settings where my wife's phone still had her original keyboard. Neither got the custom theme unfortunately.

Do you think that this is an issue with the Galaxy Nexus or 4.3?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Shaftamle

No joy once again unfortunately. I've tried it on mine and my wife's Galaxy Nexus to no avail. We're both unlocked, rooted, and stock 4.3. I've used Rom Toolbox Root Browser to go into the folders you suggested.

Now we both had in /data/app com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1; but, because of the update we also also had one with the suffix 2. The same applied in /data/app-lib. I uninstalled the app update from the play store on both devices. When I went to the root browser this left both of us with latin-1 in both folders. So I deleted the latin-1 in /data/app and rebooted into recovery.

*EDIT* - When I deleted the latin-1 from /data/app and exited the folder I went back into the folder and it was back as if I never deleted it.

I wiped/formatted the cache and dalvik with CWM, installed the .zip and rebooted.

Reboot went fine and with mine I was left with just Hindi and Pinyin for options in my input settings where my wife's phone still had her original keyboard. Neither got the custom theme unfortunately.

Do you think that this is an issue with the Galaxy Nexus or 4.3?

Thanks for your help.

OK, here is the deal. As far as yours goes, I'm not positive about the problem. If you uninstalled AND THEN deleted the files I spoke of and it still did not work, my best guess is possibly either a bad download and/or try the apk and see if that helps. As far as your wife's. I have not yet added support for hdpi devices yet(coming soon) and I believe that is what the nexus is. I will pm you when I get them done so you can test it. I'm almost positive that is what is going wrong with hers.

Reactions: Jellybeanteeker

JuggaloDroid

Sep 28, 2012
OK, here is the deal. As far as yours goes, I'm not positive about the problem. If you uninstalled AND THEN deleted the files I spoke of and it still did not work, my best guess is possibly either a bad download and/or try the apk and see if that helps. As far as your wife's. I have not yet added support for hdpi devices yet(coming soon) and I believe that is what the nexus is. I will pm you when I get them done so you can test it. I'm almost positive that is what is going wrong with hers.

Thanks for the help. Actually both my wife & I have a Galaxy Nexus so I think that is the issue. We also use Nova Launcer if that helps but I don't see how it could be an issue.

As for the hdpi support, the GN is an xhdpi device. I'm not sure if that makes any difference but I'll just wait for updates as you're able to test different devices.

Thanks again & the themes look great so keep up the good work.

coldhardtruth

Nov 5, 2011
Hey shaft, are you taking requests? What you think about an onyx version w/holo blue keys and white word suggestion? I think that'd look pretty sick

Shaftamle

Thanks for the help. Actually both my wife & I have a Galaxy Nexus so I think that is the issue. We also use Nova Launcer if that helps but I don't see how it could be an issue.

As for the hdpi support, the GN is an xhdpi device. I'm not sure if that makes any difference but I'll just wait for updates as you're able to test different devices.

Thanks again & the themes look great so keep up the good work.

You are correct. Xhdpi it is. So I van come up with 2 possible explanations. 1) maybe its that your running 4.3. Or 2) if I'm not mistaken, nexus phones have a keyboard called android keyboard. See if you can find out what the apk name for your nexus keyboard is. If its android keyboard, freeze it using tibu and then try the new one.

Shaftamle

Hey shaft, are you taking requests? What you think about an onyx version w/holo blue keys and white word suggestion? I think that'd look pretty sick

As soon as I can get them to recompile I should be able to do some stuff like that. Working on trying to figure that out as we speak.

Reactions: coldhardtruth

vmancini3

Jan 26, 2013
Thank you very much for this....my wife just got an S3 and she doesn't want to root it right now....so this definitely helps me to show her what cool things she can do to her phone even without rooting!:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dtndvm

Oct 2, 2007
Thanks so much. Love the colors. How about one that matches the stock blue that Nottach Xposed changes your status bar to. Color picker lists it as"ff31b7e6"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Themed Google Keyboards​
    As Seen on XDA- Portal
    Presented By:
    SHAFTAMLE

Rules- Please Read
    1. I am not responsible for anything that happens to you and/or your device. There is no serious risk involved with installing these keyboards but I have to say it.
    2. DO NOT Post the links or keyboards from this page on ANY other site or thread without my permission!! You can post a link to this thread but DO NOT repost my links!
    3. Please don't use any of my keyboards in your ROM, theme, Xposed Mod, ect. without my permission. Just PM me if you want to use one. I haven't said no to anyone yet.

Introduction
    Welcome to ShaftamleKeyboards! This thread was created on August 1 ,2013, initially with 7 keyboards. Since then, Shaftamle Keyboards has been featured on The XDA-Portal, The Android Soul, Techtricks and many others! The total number of keyboards has grown to over 140 different options! In less than one year the thread reached a quarter of a million views with total downloads well over 5,000!! This is possible thanks to all you amazing supporters and contributors!
    You use your Google Keyboard every day, so why not make it Shaftamle!!

About
    Shaftamle Keyboards is a very different type of thread. Keyboards are being added all the time. Users can submit their work to share with the rest of the Android world. User request sessions are held occasionally to give you all the chance to throw your idea out there! But the 3 things in my eyes that are most important are as follows:
    • Root or no root, it makes no difference. Just install the app as normal.
    • All phones and tablets using mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi, xxhdpi and xxxhdpi are supported! Which means anything relatively new will work!!
    • This is an EXTREMLY begginer(noob) friendly thread. If you have a problem/question, ask away. I try to answer any and all questions.
    It's because of all these reasons and more that this is the biggest and best place on the internet for Themed Google Keyboards!!

Special Thanks
    @wildstang83BIG thanks to wildstang83 for his awesome XDA-Portal article on 12/18/2013 about this thread!
    @Rompnit-For allowing me to use the keyboard PNG's from his M.O.A.R. ROM's Aroma installer. Also for his inspiration and guide to themeing keyboards, located here.
    @PhilDX-For modifying the original Google Keyboard to include a dedicated row of numbers. Without him, Shafta123Series would not be possible.
    Tha Phlash- For letting me use an icon from his MNMLcony icon pack! Check out his AMAZING collection either in his app or his brand new website!!
    @remotehugger-For helping me test the HDPI functionality.
    @PiggySmalls502-For helping me with testing on Nexus devices.
    @iBotPeaches for maintaining APKTool which makes themeing possible in the first place.
    @Brut.all, @vmancini3 and @NilsP-Thank you all for the help in my search to "Recompile the Google Keyboard!"
    My Mom-For giving me her upgrade so I didn't have to pay $600+ for this phone!

Installation Requirements
    There are a few things you need to know before installing these keyboards. Please read the following before installing:
    • You must be on Android 4.0 or higher. It is a requirment of Google Keyboard.
    • Your device must be either mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi, xxhdpi or xxxhdpi. ldpi is not supported.
    • You must UNINSTALL any exsisting Google, Android or AOSP keyboard first.
    • If your phone comes with Google Keyboard pre-installed(IE: Nexus, Moto X, Droid Ultra ect.) you must completely uninstall it for Shaftamle Keyboards to work. These types of phones have the Google keyboard installed as a system app. So without root you can't uninstall them. Unfortunately this means, these keyboards may not work on these types of non-rooted devices, sorry! If your not sure if this applies to you, go ahead and try, the worst that will happen is the install will fail.

Installation Instructions
    1. Download APK(app) to your phone. Your browser may warn you about the download, that is a default warning that occurs anytime you download an app file from another source other than the play store.
    2. Uninstall any existing Google/Android/AOSP keyboard using the Application manager(non-root) or Titanium Backup(root).
      [*]Reboot your device.
    3. Click on the downloaded APK(app) and follow the prompts to install.
    4. When installation is complete, click the "open" button on the bottom right of the completion screen. This starts the 3 step setup wizard for enabling the keyboard, making it the default and setting up any additional languages.
    5. Go to Keyboard Settings > Apearence & Layouts >Theme. Select Holo White unless otherwise noted in download section.
    6. DONE! Enjoy your Shaftamle Google Keyboard!!

Recent Change Log

2/1/2015:4 Brand new designs released, all available with or without a dedicated number row. Thank you all for your patience and your continued support over the last year and a half! Introducing:
    • ShaftaMarbleRed
    • ShaftaMarblePurple
    • ShaftaMarbleIndigo
    • ShaftaSlateGray
    All accent colors pulled directly from Google's Material Design Guidlines. Happy late New Year! Enjoy!!

Quick Links
    Jump to a section

Standard Downloads
    Click Here

123 Series Downloads
    Click Here

Past Change Logs
    Click Here

User Submits
    Click Here

User Requests
    Click Here

If you like my work, please Rate the thread and hit the "Thanks" button!:good:
    Donations are always greatly appreciated!! If you like my work, please consider a small contribution for the countless hours of hard work that I have put into this project. Click Here if you would like to donate. Thanks for your support!!

Donators
    Thanks so much to these Awesome Donators!!
    @N4STYNATE @vmancini3 @PiggySmalls502 @Mistertac @gippy2@Natakranta @p-slimZ....Yun46, @bigbabo, @bwillet @godzulu

Make Your Own Zip
    Maintaining all of these keyboards has become a pretty big task. It is this reason that I have discontinued the Zip format. Making zip files for each release requires twice the work that just doing apk's does. Since our non- recovery users are only able to use apk's, that is my file format of choice. However, since this is XDA and my primary goal is to give back as much as possible, I have come up with a solution. If you are a die hard flasher and really want Shaftamle zips, follow this extremely easy 5 step tutorial on how to make your own!! Knowledge is Power!!
    This tutorial is for Windows Users
    1) Download and install 7zip. (Win RAR and others similar are fine as well)
    2) Download the Shaftamle Zip Template from below.
    3) Take whatever Shaftamle keyboard you would like and rename it exactly as follows: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1
    4) Right click on the downloaded Shaftamle template zip and select: 7zip -> Open Archive. DO NOT UNZIP OR EXTRACT!!
    5) In the open 7zip window, double click the "data" folder, then double click the "app" folder. Now, drag the renamed Shaftamle keyboard into that folder and click "ok" on the popup message, overwriting the stock keyboard thats already in there.
    Congratulations! You have built your own Shaftamle Zip file! Now go flash that bad boy!!

Shaftamle Zip Template 4.0.21173.1568296

Known Bugs
    Shaftamle Keyboards will force close if the "Personalized Suggestions" option is enabled in the keyboard settings. This is a limitation caused by a June 2016 Goggle Play Service update. There is nothing I can do to fix it, sorry.

Troubleshooting
    1. Unthemed/Distorted Keyboards: Occasionally, keyboards may seem unthemed or distorted when using other apps or mods that further theme your phone. Things like CM theme changer, exposed or flashable themes sometimes incorporate keyboard themes which can affect Shaftamle Keyboards. (see posts #9 and #10).
    2. Swype not working/Buttons sticking after install: Simply reinstall the keyboard.

Advanced Trouble Shooting
    If you are experiencing extensive lag, force closes or the app fails to install, don't panic!! Sometimes this happens. Why? Nobody is really sure. However, the steps below fix the issue 99.9% of the time. So, if you ALREADY tried to UNINSTALL as the instalation directions state, then click the button below for further troubleshooting instructions.

You MUST be rooted to perform these steps. You also must have a Root File Browser. ES File Manager is free and works great.

1) UNINSTALL ALL Google, Android, AOSP and Shaftamle keyboards. Titanium Backup or ROM Toolbox works great for this.
    2) Open your root browser. Search through the following folders:

• /data/app/
    • /system/app/
    look for the following files and delete them: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1 OR
    LatinIME.

Now, search through these folders:

• /data/app-lib/
    • /system/lib/
    For anything named:
    com.android.inputmethod.latin-1
    OR
    libjni_unbundled_latinimegoogle.so

And delete them as well.
    3) Reboot your device.
    4) Now that you have deleted any leftover duplicates you should not have any problems installing Shaftamle Keyboards, so give it a shot!
    Please, If you do not understand or need any extra help, please PM me! I would hate for someone to mess something up on their phone because they did not understand the instructions. Enjoy!!

Shaftamle Apperances
    You can find Shaftamle Keyboards pre-installed in these Awesome ROMS/Mods!! Thanks you to all these amazing devs for including my keyboards in your work! I'm honored to be a part of your final product!
    1. SLT CaiRisma- Micromax A110 ROM @SuperDroid-BOND
    2. SlimBean PrimoU- HTC One V @mcgi5sr2
    3. Baja ROM- Verizon Note3 @bajasur
    4. Ex-Themer2 Xposed Module @SArnab©®
    5. Nemesis ROM- Verizon S4 @gigilie
    6. Darkside ROM- TMobile Note2 @manufan721
    7. TMS3 ROM- AT&T S3 @talkingmonkeys

Thanks for reading, thanks for downloading and thanks for hitting the "Thanks" button! Enjoy!!​
    ENJOY!!

Screenshots
    Standard Download Section

8.0 Standard Downloads
    Version 8.0
    Based on Google Keyboard Version#: 4.0.21173.1568296

Select a category below for a list of available themes:
    Attention: All keyboards must be set to "Holo White" in the keyboard theme settings unless otherwise noted.

Original
    The first set released. Gradient themed buttons with chrome borders and matching accents. All on a black background.
    9 Themes Available
    Click Here

Black
    All black background with different accent colors for each keyboard.
    12 Themes Available
    Click Here

Squared
    An almost identical twin to the Black series. Only a themed frame around the keys sepperates them.
    13 Themes Available
    Click Here

Ghost
    With semi-transparent background and keys, this keyboard is paranormal.
    (Please read the message on the screenshot)

2 Themes Available
    Click Here

Glass
    Overall the most popular series. Glass is like no other keyboards around! With backgrounds that vary from gradient colors
    to Nexus wallpapers. The Glass themed keys is the default way to go. But if you prefer a cleaner look, switch to the NEW GLASSLESS mode in the keyboard settings!!

7 Themes Available All With Glass/Glassless mode
    Click Here

Apple Sauce
    Flat, clean, what the iBlah keyboard wished it looked like.
    6 Themes Available
    Click Here

Unique
    This section is reserved for the random designs that don't fit in the other categories.
    1 Theme Available
    Click Here

Slate
    The first Material Design section on the thread. Dark, solid background and themed accents. How Material should be done.
    Attention: These keyboards must be set to "Material Dark" in keyboard settings for these themes.
    3 Themes Available
    Click Here

Marble
    A grayish version of the Material Light stock theme. Accent colors pulled directly from the official Material Desin pallete.
    Attention: These keyboards must be set to "Material Dark" in keyboard settings for these themes.
    6 Themes Available
    Click Here
    123 Series Downloads

123 Series Downloads
    Version 8.0
    Based on Google Keyboard Version#: 4.0.21173.1568296

Supported Languages
    Not all languages are supported on the 123 series keyboards. I am adding more all the time. Some, but not all of the supported languages are listed below:
    • English(QWERTY and QWERTZ)
    • Spanish
    • French
    • Russian
    • Italian
    • Dutch
    • German
    • Arabic
    • Polish
    • Romanian

Select a category below for a list of available themes:
    Attention: All keyboards must be set to "Holo White" in the keyboard theme settings unless otherwise noted.

123 Original
    The first set released. Gradient themed buttons with chrome borders and matching accents. All on a black background.
    9 Themes Available
    Click Here

123 Black
    All black background with different accent colors for each keyboard.
    12 Themes Available
    Click Here

123 Squared
    An almost identical twin to the Black series. Only a themed frame around the keys sepperates them.
    13 Themes Available
    Click Here

123 Ghost
    With semi-transparent background and keys, this keyboard is paranormal.
    (Please read the message on the screenshot)

2 Themes Available
    Click Here

123 Glass
    Overall the most popular series. Glass is like no other keyboards around! With backgrounds that vary from gradient colors
    to Nexus wallpapers. The Glass themed keys is the default way to go. But if you prefer a cleaner look, switch to the NEW GLASSLESS mode in the keyboard settings!!

7 Themes Available All With Glass/Glassless mode
    Click Here

123 Apple Sauce
    Flat, clean, what the iBlah keyboard wished it looked like.
    6 Themes Available
    Click Here

123 Unique
    This section is reserved for the random designs that don't fit in the other categories.
    1 Theme Available
    Click Here

123 Slate
    The first Material Design section on the thread. Dark, solid background and themed accents. How Material should be done.
    3 Themes Available
    Click Here

123 Marble
    A grayish version of the Material Light stock theme. Accent colors pulled directly from the official Material Desin pallete.
    6 Themes Available
    Click Here
    User Requests

User Requests
    Round #1 is over. Accepted requests are posted below.​
    Please keep in mind, this IS NOT my job. Please be respectful and understand that this is a hobby. Regretfully, it will not be possible for me to fulfill all requests. Please be understanding of that. If this gets out of hand, I will simply stop doing requests all together.
    Rules

If you would like to submit a request, please feel free AFTER reading the following rules:
    1)Do Not make a request more than once.
    2)Do Not PM me a request.
    3)Do Not ask me to rebuild or copy anyone else's work.
    4)Do Not ask for ETA's.
    5)Do Not ask for physical changes to the keyboard such as moving the punctuation, making the keys bigger/smaller, adding symbols or anything that is outside the scope of theme modification.
    6)Please show some effort in your request. Details are always good. If you would like a specific color, post the hex color code. Dont be the person who says, "Hi, can you do a teal one. Thanks." You WILL be ignored.

I will be more likely to fulfill:
    • Requests that are popular with many people. The more the better!
      [*]Minor fixes or different color schemes for already existing designs.
      [*]Requests for a existing color to be made into a 123 series keyboard.
      [*]Any reasonable request from someone who has donated to me.

Please understand, I AM NOT SELLING OR REQUESTING money in exchange for keyboards.
      I am also not guaranteeing that if you have donated or do so in the future that your request will be fulfilled.
      I am simply stating that anyone who is kind enough to donate to me, for all the time and effort I have already put in, will certainly get preference.

For Round 1 of User Requests, I will take 2-4 of the best, most popular ideas submited between 2/9/14 and 2/16/14. If you like someone else's idea, re-post it.
    If your request has been chosen, it will appear below.

Let the Games Begin!

Round #1- Accepted
    1)ShaftaStoneSquared(Modified) and ShaftaStoneSquaredLight- Requested By: @N4STYNATE ETA: Posted
    2)Grabber Blue- Requested By: @PiggySmalls502 ETA:Posted
    3)Shafta123Red- Requested By: @lordpipa ETA: Posted
    4)Shafta123CreamSandwich- Requested By: @JaviLerma ETA: Posted
    5)Shafta123Purple-Requested By- @pitbullmommy45245 ETA:Posted
    6)Something transparent- Requested By: @78Staff and @lyndonguti ETA: Posted
    7)Fix Red keyboard selector transparency. Requested By: @ChiDi9901 ETA:Posted
    8)Shafta123GlassCitrus-Requested By: @greatdanedukeETA: Posted
    9)Shafta123KO- Requested By: @954wrecker and@TeH PLAYA ETA: Posted
    Update: I had some bs to deal with in my personal life today. I'm still shooting to release them before I pass out tonight but if not by then, DEFFINITLY by Wednesday. I for one, believe it will be worth the wait! Y'all already know the resized 123 is coming, but here's a little extra spoiler alert. There will be a few brand new designs to go along with the 123's. Bringing the total options count to......a lot! :eek: Stay tuned!

Edit: For those who may be new to the thread, when I say Tues, I mean before I go to bed on tues! So expect this sometime between 12:00am and 5:00am eastern time on what is technicly Wednesday morning. Sorry, that's just how I roll. Lol, don't know why, I'm just more motivated at that time! As most followers from the VZW S4 thread know, most of my updates surface around 2 or 3. Just an FYI.:D

CheckOutMyThemedGoogleKeyboards!!!!!!
    Verizon: Making modders lives' miserable since 2008
    MyColorScreen