Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

can't flash kernel with odin

Tip us?

Mr Creosote
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default can't flash kernel with odin

hi, i've got CyanogenMod 7.2 (Alpha9) on my galaxy 3, i initially used odin, then found i had the 0kb free space issue, but then used CWM to flash from a zip file and it's now working fine.
i'd like to put the MTD version on it, and i'm trying to follow the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2309390, but i can't get odin to flash the 1Ghz overclock mtd kernel.
the version of odin that i initially flashed the rom with has no problem establishing a connection with my phone, but says the .tar file is an invalid image when i try to load it in the PDA section.
i've tried a couple of other versions of odin, and they all accept it as a valid image, but none of them get past the point where it says setup connection.

Mr Creosote
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
alternatively, a link to a version of the same kernel that i can use CWM recovery to flash would be ideal, i've got to grips with CWM and find it easy to work with, but i'm struggling somewhat with odin.

Mr Creosote
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
i've realised my problem all along was that my copy of the mtd update was corrupt. i have re-downloaded it and all is going smoothly so far.

marcellusbe
Old
Thanks Meter 4633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
i've realised my problem all along was that my copy of the mtd update was corrupt. i have re-downloaded it and all is going smoothly so far.
Finally ! Have fun with the ROM.

Mr Creosote
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellusbe View Post
Finally ! Have fun with the ROM.
thanks, i'm very happy with it now that the battery isn't draining really quickly like it was with the non-mtd version. i'd been going about it the right way all along, lol, it just never occurred to me that i had a corrupt file. was only when i double clicked on it to look at the contents of the zip that i realised it was corrupt. i was beginning to worry that the world of android modding was hopelessly impenetrable.