Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,880 Members 50,521 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WHAT IS THIS CRAP!? (Virus Warning Adware in MX Player)

Tip us?

CDB-Man
Old
Thanks Meter 78
This is ridiculous, javascript bypass popup ads! What will they think of next? o.O
MX Player sub-forum Moderator; Primary User Support
MX Player Sub-forum
Welcome thread and FAQ -- Feature Requests list
Please hit Thanks when someone helps you out!

The Developer/Owner of MX Player is bleu8888. Please post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.
For bugs or glitches, always include an MX Log Collector report.

I do not answer MX Player questions in PM. Post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.

a-raccoon
Old
(Last edited by a-raccoon; 3rd August 2014 at 10:14 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu8888 View Post
KTSamy, I think this is from the banner because this message looks like from javascript as the title said.
banner is actually a webpage and javascript can do it.
bleu8888: Would it be possible for MX Player to display graphic-only ads that are script safe? Perhaps parsing out the static image and removing potentially harmful or personally identifying javascripts and cookies? Or would your ad agency be unable to track usage?

bleu8888
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-raccoon View Post
bleu8888: Would it be possible for MX Player to display graphic-only ads that are script safe? Perhaps parsing out the static image and removing potentially harmful or personally identifying javascripts and cookies? Or would your ad agency be unable to track usage?
Actually javascript cannot access any personal information because MX Player does not have such permission and javascript cannot run outside MX Player. What they can do is just displaying such scam message.
BTW, My ad agency is actually working on blocking javascript from banners.

Thanks.
MX Player Developer
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bleu8888 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoeTF
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu8888 View Post
Actually javascript cannot access any personal information because MX Player does not have such permission and javascript cannot run outside MX Player. What they can do is just displaying such scam message.
BTW, My ad agency is actually working on blocking javascript from banners.

Thanks.
FYI,
this ad was a reason I decided not to buy your software (I was about to do that, since it's pretty great player and I wanted to support you) and instead just installed an ad-block.
Thank your awesome ad agency. This crap somehow didn't happen with other ad-backed apps.

Aashuk Mehta
Old
Thanks Meter 870

What crap is this

bleu8888
Old
(Last edited by bleu8888; 14th September 2014 at 10:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashuk Mehta View Post
What crap is this
@Aashuk Mehta Would you tell me target url of this ads? And then I will block this ad immediately.

---------- Edit -----------
This advertisement is blocked. Please let me know if you see this ad again.
Thanks for reporting.
MX Player Developer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bleu8888 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]