Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,801 Members 40,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Feature Request] Sony Xperia M2/MS8926 SoC: H/W+ with 10bit videos

Tip us?

Crim Soukyuu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Feature Request] Sony Xperia M2/MS8926 SoC: H/W+ with 10bit videos

I've been a happy MX Player Pro user on my Nexus 7 tablet for a few years now, but it was time to finally get a smartphone, so I "upgraded". Now I can't seem to get the H/W+ or any hardware acceleration working with 10Bit h264 videos on this Xperia M2. 8Bit is fine.

Since H/W+ works with 8Bit, the SoC (Qualcomm MSM8926 Snapdragon 400) seems to be compatible with it. Can H/W+ for 10Bit be enabled in a future update like it was for the old Nexus 7? I don't mind the decoding artifacts, I just don't want to have to transcode video for my mobile devices again.

CDB-Man
Old
Thanks Meter 78
The reason why you could use HW+ on the old Nexus 7 was because it used a Nvidia Tegra core. Somehow, the developer was able to get some hardware support for 10-bit videos on Tegra devices.

Long story short, 10-bit hardware support is impossible on anything else. You will have to use the SW decoder.
MX Player sub-forum Moderator; Primary User Support
MX Player Sub-forum
Welcome thread and FAQ -- Feature Requests list
Please hit Thanks when someone helps you out!

The Developer/Owner of MX Player is bleu8888. Please post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.
For bugs or glitches, always include an MX Log Collector report.

I do not answer MX Player questions in PM. Post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CDB-Man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Crim Soukyuu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am not terribly familiar with hardware decoders, but can't you "fool" it by only passing it 8bit instead of the full 10bit? Or will that not result in anything usable? Since there were artifacts on playback with the old nexus, I assumed it was what it did.

I bought the pro version partially because it saved me from transcoding and that was worth the money for me. Not meant as a "gimme my money back", just a bit disappointed. Oh well.

CDB-Man
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Not sure. Either way, it was a hack more or less that he found to make it work.
MX Player sub-forum Moderator; Primary User Support
MX Player Sub-forum
Welcome thread and FAQ -- Feature Requests list
Please hit Thanks when someone helps you out!

The Developer/Owner of MX Player is bleu8888. Please post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.
For bugs or glitches, always include an MX Log Collector report.

I do not answer MX Player questions in PM. Post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.

EGAX
Old
(Last edited by EGAX; 28th June 2014 at 08:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hii, everyone.#deleted&sold m2
NoobX

ktsamy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,517

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGAX View Post
Hii, everyone...just bought this devices, about 3days ago,decided to take the dual sim variants and now already rooted, hope someone dev here also focusing the developements for dual sim variants, thanks
NoobX
I think you are in a wrong forum.
It's the official forum of MX player.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
Regards,
KTSamy

Hit Thanks if I helped
We are spending our valuable time for you without any cost.