Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Fixed] feature to generate thumbnails but not save them on the cache

OP tatertots216

25th May 2014, 08:23 AM   |  #11  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 122
 
511 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertots216

It's a very very grave breach of my privacy, and my human rights!

On a seriously note, it's about having the medium ground between privacy and convenience. (I could just as easily suspend thumbnail generation indefinitely but that would mean guessing which video I want to watch especially those video clips that are identified only by the date stamp for when they were taken)

Well, it should be a matter of personal preference, for this is why we choose android! And I can safety say that there is no noticeable performance impact when generating thumbnails of a folder containing say, 40 videos as MX Player only generates thumbnails for the current folder and not everything all at once. In addition, I would say this is a great feature to include and is a step torwards being the best and most feature packed video player ever! VLC maybe king in the desktop arena but MX Player reigns supreme on the android!

I don't see how this could be privacy at all... everything is stored locally on your device.

If anything, @aarongillion63 and his reason regarding album art is probably a more compelling argument for such a feature. The developer can decide if he wants to implement this feature.
25th May 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsamy

Ok. We will forward your concern to the developer.

Thank you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

I don't see how this could be privacy at all... everything is stored locally on your device.

If anything, @aarongillion63 and his reason regarding album art is probably a more compelling argument for such a feature. The developer can decide if he wants to implement this feature.

I forgot to mention that only my external microSD is encrypted (due to performance reasons) and I recently found out that MX Player has been leaking unencrypted thumbnails into the main storage! I do not quite understand his issues regarding maintaining the perfect album art but I believe, addressing potential security and privacy issues while maintaining ease of use and functionality should also be a good reason as any
26th May 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #13  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 122
 
511 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
What I meant is that it's not like your entire device's contents are shared to the internet; that would be silly. If you are that concerned, I would assume that you already have security software on your device, you have already closed listening on all your device's ports, and none of your apps have read/write access except in their own specific settings and cache folders.

Though if you are of the people that prefer _everything_ encrypted, wouldn't you be concerned about every other app out there that also stores a cache on your device's internal storage? I'd assume that this would mean you are posting on every other app's support forum asking for an option that they allow cache disabling.
Besides, unless you have "questionable" videos that might get thumbnailed, it does seem a little bit on the excessive security side.

That's my 2 cents worth. My personal thoughts aside, it's up to the developer if he wants to implement this. In the interim, you could manually clear cache upon exit, or setup a Tasker task to periodically do it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CDB-Man For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #14  
ktsamy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,965
 
696 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

Though if you are of the people that prefer _everything_ encrypted, wouldn't you be concerned about every other app out there that also stores a cache on your device's internal storage? I'd assume that this would mean you are posting on every other app's support forum asking for an option that they allow cache disabling.
Besides, unless you have "questionable" videos that might get thumbnailed, it does seem a little bit on the excessive security side.

You are right. Almost all android multimedia apps using cache to fast loading. But, the method differs.

I think the following could be the users concern:
Some applications uses encrypted thumbnails. Some of the apps uses archives or database. But, In mx player it caches direct thumbnails with random names without extension. Any mediam skilled android user can open as image & view the content. Since he uses encryption for sdcard the actual file can't be viewed. But, Someone can view the thumbnails of videos. But, it's very clear that he don't want to leave any trace on mobile.

Let us follow the users concern. It's upto the developer whether it will be implemented or not.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktsamy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 206
 
273 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
I agree. Following features will be added on next update. (Next update will be done on this or next week.)

1) Strognly encrypted thumbnail cache image.
2) An option for disabling thumbnail caching.

Thanks you all for reportings and suggestions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bleu8888 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #16  
ktsamy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,965
 
696 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertots216

[SIZE="4"]Hi, I would like to request a simple feature that allows a user to generate/view thumbnails when browsing for videos but also have the option to NOT save them permanently on storage via the cache folder /android/data/com.mxtech.videoplayer/cache/image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63

I want this functionality on my music players.. I hate cache and how it screws up all my album art.

This feature is implemented in the v1.7.27 which is live now in play store.

1. I have personally cleared the old caches & checked the new caches & it's fully encrypted now.

2. Just cleared the thumbnails & disabled thumbnail caching from Setting 》 General. Found no more thumbnail is being cached.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktsamy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #17  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsamy

This feature is implemented in the v1.7.27 which is live now in play store.
1. I have personally cleared the old caches & checked the new caches & it's fully encrypted now.
2. Just cleared the thumbnails & disabled thumbnail caching from Setting 》 General. Found no more thumbnail is being cached.
Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu8888

I agree. Following features will be added on next update. (Next update will be done on this or next week.)

1) Strognly encrypted thumbnail cache image.
2) An option for disabling thumbnail caching.

Thanks you all for reportings and suggestions.

No more remembering to occasionally clean up the unsecured clutter in the android/data/........for this app at least!

Thanks a lot chief! A good balance between protecting privacy while maintaining ease of use...
Last edited by tatertots216; 5th June 2014 at 11:50 PM.
6th June 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 206
 
273 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
This feature is applied in 1.7.27. Please check it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to bleu8888 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes