FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Question] 2160p file playback on Nexus 5

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By nramalama, Junior Member on 4th July 2014, 07:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi All,

I looked around XDA quite a bit and wasn't able to find an answer.
I am unable to play any 2160p file on the Nexus 5, the HW+/HW are unavailable for this.
The same files work on my Asus TF701; I know the FAQ states that this could be due to chipset limitations but I just wanted to confirm.
Also, I remember seeing somewhere that this might have broken after 4.3 was released for the Nexus 5.
Is any able to verify?

Thanks!
 
 
4th July 2014, 10:48 PM |#2  
ktsamy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,651
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nramalama

Hi All,

I looked around XDA quite a bit and wasn't able to find an answer.
I am unable to play any 2160p file on the Nexus 5, the HW+/HW are unavailable for this.
The same files work on my Asus TF701; I know the FAQ states that this could be due to chipset limitations but I just wanted to confirm.
Also, I remember seeing somewhere that this might have broken after 4.3 was released for the Nexus 5.
Is any able to verify?

Thanks!

It's probably a hardware limitation.
In my S5 it's working well in all decoders.
5th July 2014, 10:34 AM |#3  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 191
 
More
I can play 4k videos with HW+ on my Nexus 5, 4.4.4.

For example, these: http://www.elementaltechnologies.com...test-sequences

Are you using a custom ROM?
7th July 2014, 12:31 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi Guys...
Apologies for the late reply.... I cannot get of the video from the elemental site to play either... I'm on stock 4.4.4... Is there any log I can provide to help diagnose?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app
7th July 2014, 05:07 AM |#5  
ktsamy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,651
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nramalama

Hi Guys...
Apologies for the late reply.... I cannot get of the video from the elemental site to play either... I'm on stock 4.4.4... Is there any log I can provide to help diagnose?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

Enable H/W+ decoder from Settings >> Decoder.
Then try to play video in H/W+.
7th July 2014, 10:12 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I keep getting an error message that I cannot play this file with HW decoder

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app
7th July 2014, 01:28 PM |#7  
ktsamy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,651
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nramalama

I keep getting an error message that I cannot play this file with HW decoder

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

Open the mx log collector app immediately after the error and post the log files
7th July 2014, 03:38 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Manufacturer: LGE
Model: Nexus 5
Brand: google
Version: 4.4.4 (REL)
Build: google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys
Kernel: Linux version 3.4.0-gd59db4e (android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com) (gcc version 4.7 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 17 15:16:36 PDT 2014
CPU: 4 core(s) 2.27 GHz
CPU architecture: 7
CPU features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
Board platform: msm8974
Instruction set: armeabi-v7a (+armeabi)
Resolution: 1080 x 1776
Available screen size (DIP): 360 x 567 (smallest: 360)
Tablet: false
Screen size: Normal
Density: 3.0 (480)
Font scale: 1.0
Hardware main button: false
Locale: en_GB
Total memory: 1899548 kB
Free memory: 168504 kB
=========================
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt - [Click for QR Code] (25.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt build.prop.txt - [Click for QR Code] (3.6 KB, 2 views)
10th July 2014, 01:38 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi Guys,

Is there any further information or logs you would need from me?

Thanks!
13th July 2014, 03:40 AM |#10  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 191
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nramalama

I keep getting an error message that I cannot play this file with HW decoder

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

So, does this mean you didn't try HW+?

I find it odd that your device doesn't work, considering it works in my own stock 4.4.4 Nexus 5.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes