Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,105 Members 44,806 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Question] HW+ as Default for Local Files Does Not Stick...

Tip us?

ktsamy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,517

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane View Post
Hi there,

Here it is.

Thanks again for taking the time to look into this.
The media info you have posted earlier was having Sorenson Spark h263 video in mp4 container.
The attcahed video is AVC/h264 in mp4 container.

I have tested the file you have attached. But, After enabling HW+ decoder It directly plays in HW+ in my test.
There is no problem with MX Player. Your are doing something wrong while following the instructions.

Are you trying to play the file from network share/ SMB share?
If it so , Then you have to enable HW+ Decoder (Network) too.

If you are not then Open Settings >> General >> Clear History
Enable HW+ Decoder (Local) from Settings >> Decoder

Then Try again.
Regards,
KTSamy

Hit Thanks if I helped
We are spending our valuable time for you without any cost.

Aeroplane
Old
(Last edited by Aeroplane; 5th June 2014 at 09:10 PM.) Reason: sorry!
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default LIST -> SCAN -> File Extensions :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsamy View Post
The media info you have posted earlier was having Sorenson Spark h263 video in mp4 container.
The attcahed video is AVC/h264 in mp4 container.

I have tested the file you have attached. But, After enabling HW+ decoder It directly plays in HW+ in my test.
There is no problem with MX Player. Your are doing something wrong while following the instructions.

Are you trying to play the file from network share/ SMB share?
If it so , Then you have to enable HW+ Decoder (Network) too.

If you are not then Open Settings >> General >> Clear History
Enable HW+ Decoder (Local) from Settings >> Decoder

Then Try again.

I went through the whole SETTINGS, one configurable setting after another and this time realized that there was another way, a more specific way, to configure the codec to be used, for a particular type of file extension. Which means we can configure the type of codec to be used (whether HW, HW+, or SW) for any specific file extension (mp4, wmv, flv, or any and every file extension) in SETTINGS -> LIST -> SCAN -> FILE EXTENSION. I believe this "more specific" setting overrides SETTINGS -> DECODER -> HARDWARE DECODER and SOFTWARE DECODER which are more general configurable settings.

And this explains why no matter how I change the DECODER settings to use HW+ codec for my local files, MXplayer still plays the music video using HW. Because the first time I ever used MXplayer I already configured MXplayer to use HW codec for all mp4 files in SETTINGS -> LIST -> SCAN -> FILE EXTENSION. Its been almost 3 years using MXplayer that it has slipped my mind. This setting by the way, though not really located deep in the underbelly of SETTINGS, is quite a bit off from the DECODER Settings.

Kindly accept my apologies for all this. My tail is down between my legs in shame And I also felt I needed to post this for the thread to go full-circle, and who knows?, a satisfied but wondering MXplayer user might come onto this thread and say "Eureka !". It is still a valid and useful thread I believe.

Thank you both !

Benjamin
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeroplane For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CDB-Man
Old
Thanks Meter 78
You are definitely right that most people would not even think to go there.
MX Player sub-forum Moderator; Primary User Support
MX Player Sub-forum
Welcome thread and FAQ -- Feature Requests list
Please hit Thanks when someone helps you out!

The Developer/Owner of MX Player is bleu8888. Please post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.
For bugs or glitches, always include an MX Log Collector report.

I do not answer MX Player questions in PM. Post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.