Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,673 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[STICKY] MX Player and ChromeCast

Tip us?

CDB-Man
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
The idea here is to have MX transcode everything that you want (video stream, selected audio and subtitle tracks, etc). Yes this will be power intensive, and yes most phones won't be able to do it.

Phone as DLNA server already has been done in the form of BubbleUPnP, and it has no format limitation; it will stream anything you tell it to (whether your receiving device can handle it is another story). I have an EZCast dongle, and I find it supports much more than the actual Chromecast dongle.
Be sure to hit Thanks when someone helps you out!

MX Player sub-forum Moderator; Primary User Support: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player

The Developer/Owner of MX Player is bleu8888. Please post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.

I do not answer MX Player questions in PM. Post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum if you need support.

sainthooligan
Old
(Last edited by sainthooligan; 10th July 2014 at 06:31 AM.) Reason: bad mobile spelling fixer lol
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man View Post
The idea here is to have MX transcode everything that you want (video stream, selected audio and subtitle tracks, etc). Yes this will be power intensive, and yes most phones won't be able to do it.

Phone as DLNA server already has been done in the form of BubbleUPnP, and it has no format limitation; it will stream anything you tell it to (whether your receiving device can handle it is another story). I have an EZCast dongle, and I find it supports much more than the actual Chromecast dongle.
FYI, the chromecast now supports mirroring -or at least in beta - and with some devices to start with: http://androidspin.com/2014/07/09/ch...-apk-download/
I have a galaxy S5 and confirmed it works fine & since it's mirroring-it'll mirror what's playing in mxplayer.

Not exactly direct integration from the app, but seriously cool nonetheless.

You've got to have the chromecast app version noted in the article. The one in the playstore is only version 1.5.5, so you'll either have to wait to try it OR you can get the updated 1.7.4 version from gappsearly.com : http://gappsearly.com/google-apps/ch...hromecast.html
The Following User Says Thank You to sainthooligan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CAL7
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Can someone explain why mirroring is device-dependent? I upgraded my Sony Z1 Compact to the new chromecast on KitKat 4.4.4. Is there a way to make it work?

CDB-Man
Old
(Last edited by CDB-Man; 13th July 2014 at 04:23 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthooligan View Post
FYI, the chromecast now supports mirroring -or at least in beta - and with some devices to start with: http://androidspin.com/2014/07/09/ch...-apk-download/
I have a galaxy S5 and confirmed it works fine & since it's mirroring-it'll mirror what's playing in mxplayer.

Not exactly direct integration from the app, but seriously cool nonetheless.

You've got to have the chromecast app version noted in the article. The one in the playstore is only version 1.5.5, so you'll either have to wait to try it OR you can get the updated 1.7.4 version from gappsearly.com : http://gappsearly.com/google-apps/ch...hromecast.html
Wow, thanks for the update! This is good news. In terms of performance, does video playback lag if you have screen cast enabled? Would you mind also trying how 10-bit playback performance works with screen casting running? I won't be home to try this for the next few days.

===
@CAL7 not to sound cynical, but my guess is that Google is playing favourites :P

MX Player sub-forum Moderator; Primary User Support: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player

The Developer/Owner of MX Player is bleu8888. Please post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum for support.

I do not answer MX Player questions in PM. Post a thread in the MX Player sub-forum if you need support.

sainthooligan
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the update! This is good news. In terms of performance, does video playback lag if you have screen cast enabled? Would you mind also trying how 10-bit playback performance works with screen casting running? I won't be home to try this for the next few days.

===
@CAL7 not to sound cynical, but my guess is that Google is playing favourites :P

I'll have some more time to play mess with the setup tonight I think. I haven't watched a full movie with it yet, but for what I tested it seemed fine through mxplayer- no lag for the short while I watched ( about 10 mins worth plus some shuttling forward and backward).
To be honest, all I think I know of 10bit is that it's a higher quality or uncompressed video..I can google it myself. Just a data point that you're asking a dumb monkey when it comes to that particular question...at least until I check the "internets"
but if it helps, the video I tested was encoded at 1920x 1080 4:2:0

As a side note - and not using mxplayer for this portion of a test but I've used it to mirror video playing from firefox (via a live stream) which played as it would normally just fine. I know that may not offer much in answering your question, but I mention because I was actually surprised that I had no "beta" issues that I had anticipated. And that was for the entire stream (not my reaction of surprise, but the lack of beta issues).
That said, I'm figuring I'll have the same success with a longer mxplayer test.

At any rate, I'll give a longer test tonight. I did just see there are some noted sample vids in one of the other mx threads for 10bit (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=25) and I'll try one of those. I take it I need check the box for the h/w+ setting 10bit as well.

I'll give a heads up after.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sainthooligan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CDB-Man
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
I'll have some more time to play mess with the setup tonight I think. I haven't watched a full movie with it yet, but for what I tested it seemed fine through mxplayer- no lag for the short while I watched ( about 10 mins worth plus some shuttling forward and backward).
To be honest, all I think I know of 10bit is that it's a higher quality or uncompressed video..I can google it myself. Just a data point that you're asking a dumb monkey when it comes to that particular question...at least until I check the "internets"
but if it helps, the video I tested was encoded at 1920x 1080 4:2:0

As a side note - and not using mxplayer for this portion of a test but I've used it to mirror video playing from firefox (via a live stream) which played as it would normally just fine. I know that may not offer much in answering your question, but I mention because I was actually surprised that I had no "beta" issues that I had anticipated. And that was for the entire stream (not my reaction of surprise, but the lack of beta issues).
That said, I'm figuring I'll have the same success with a longer mxplayer test.

At any rate, I'll give a longer test tonight. I did just see there are some noted sample vids in one of the other mx threads for 10bit (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=25) and I'll try one of those. I take it I need check the box for the h/w+ setting 10bit as well.

I'll give a heads up after.
10-bit video is video encoded with 10-bits of colour sampling data per pixel. Currently, no consumer hardware supports GPU assisted acceleration for 10-bit, which is why performance is so poor on mobile devices; they have to be fully rendered by software.

You can try HW+, but given what I just said above, you can't use HW or HW+ for 10-bit video (the exception is Tegra processor devices, but that doesn't work properly yet).

Do please try out playing some of the 10-bit videos on SW via Chromecast screen cast. It will be interesting to see how light of a load the screen cast is, and if devices will be able to do it while simultaneously decoding 10-bit, which is itself a heavy load for mobile CPUs.

Currently, the most common 10-bit videos out there are anime files. That post you linked has a good sampling of videos, and they all happen to be anime! They would definitely make good tests.

Another good file to test would be this anime video: 1080p 10bit --> http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=418218

sainthooligan
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
10-bit video is video encoded with 10-bits of colour sampling data per pixel. Currently, no consumer hardware supports GPU assisted acceleration for 10-bit, which is why performance is so poor on mobile devices; they have to be fully rendered by software.

You can try HW+, but given what I just said above, you can't use HW or HW+ for 10-bit video (the exception is Tegra processor devices, but that doesn't work properly yet).

Do please try out playing some of the 10-bit videos on SW via Chromecast screen cast. It will be interesting to see how light of a load the screen cast is, and if devices will be able to do it while simultaneously decoding 10-bit, which is itself a heavy load for mobile CPUs.

Currently, the most common 10-bit videos out there are anime files. That post you linked has a good sampling of videos, and they all happen to be anime! They would definitely make good tests.

Another good file to test would be this anime video: 1080p 10bit --> http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=418218
I checked out the vid from the other xda thread link. It wouldn't play with HW+, no video & only audio for HW, but did work with SW. I noticed prior to casting it wasn't very smooth until it hit the intro title/words. Then it seemed OK.
When I casted it, there seemed to be no difference in what was first noticed straight on the device. There didn't seem to be additional lag...at least from my perspective.

I'll try d/l the vid from the other link you shared. The one I tried seemed too short, as the story animation was only for a few seconds and the titles/intro were the longest part of the sample.

sainthooligan
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
Can someone explain why mirroring is device-dependent? I upgraded my Sony Z1 Compact to the new chromecast on KitKat 4.4.4. Is there a way to make it work?
Maybe. http://forum.xda-developers.com/hard...evice-t2812193
The Following User Says Thank You to sainthooligan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CDB-Man
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
I checked out the vid from the other xda thread link. It wouldn't play with HW+, no video & only audio for HW, but did work with SW. I noticed prior to casting it wasn't very smooth until it hit the intro title/words. Then it seemed OK.
When I casted it, there seemed to be no difference in what was first noticed straight on the device. There didn't seem to be additional lag...at least from my perspective.

I'll try d/l the vid from the other link you shared. The one I tried seemed too short, as the story animation was only for a few seconds and the titles/intro were the longest part of the sample.
It was expected that only SW mode would work.

For anime, the opening sequences generally are the most action-intensive, so they make for the best test videos. The one that I linked is a good test video in that regard.

In terms of looking for lag, if you have something like FPS Meter, it makes it really easy to spot. Anime videos generally run at 24 fps.

Also, when playing 10-bit files, be sure to have speedup tricks enabled! When playing a video: menu -> play -> use speedup tricks

j_tan168
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I hope MX Player also support Airplay to Apple TV ...

Tags
chromecast, mxplayer