No registration required

[STICKY] MX Player and ChromeCast

OP CDB-Man

25th August 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 15

257 posts
More
Any update or progress to report? still eagerly awaiting this

would a rooted chromecast help in any way here?
29th August 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #52  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 121

507 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwvandeursen

Any update or progress to report? still eagerly awaiting this

would a rooted chromecast help in any way here?

Interesting, a rooted Chromecast... I remember hearing that they fixed a bunch of root exploits on it, surprised to see you still have a rooted one!
@bleu8888 would it help at all?
30th August 2014, 08:45 AM   |  #53  

257 posts
More
No there is a new root method available here on xda using a teensy to root the chromecast. Still works on all units as long as google doesnt patch it.
Last edited by pwvandeursen; 1st September 2014 at 09:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pwvandeursen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2014, 09:11 AM   |  #54  

257 posts
More
Quote:

No there is a new root method available here on xda using a teensy to root the chromecast. Still works on all units as long as google doesnt patch it.

Well google patched it OTA. however all existing units that have not been connected to internet as of the 4th are still rootable. any word on if it will help the work here? I can help you get one if needed.

any progress on transcoding through MX player for the chromecast?
19th September 2014, 10:04 AM   |  #55  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 121

507 posts
More
Quote:

Well google patched it OTA. however all existing units that have not been connected to internet as of the 4th are still rootable.

Well that's disappointing news
20th September 2014, 07:36 AM   |  #56  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,890 posts
Just my Two cents...Rooting will help only in regards if Google rejects MX's Receiver app from being whitelisted...(really no reason they would do that though so it's kind of moot.) There is one way it could help but it's complicated, will get back to that point later on.

As to the other questions regarding containers (like MKV)...
I believe that is all handled by the receiver app and not limited to what Google supports via hardware.
The Specs google lists do not include DHT but Netflix supports that codec, (Containers are much easier to support than Codecs.)

Two reasons for that, 1) Their player is customized to receive their encrypted streams and they have plenty of money to license whatever codecs they choose to support...

and 2) their Receiver App does not work in the same limited sandbox space all other Receiver apps work in. It also doesn't get the Netflix App over the Internet it is built into the OS which is probably a key requirement to avoiding being put in that sandbox.

But there is nothing to stop a receiver app from providing software support for various containers or codecs.

As to the Root Hope I alluded to...
It is possible that an IN OS Player receiver could be included in the custom rom rooted users are running in the same way Netflix is included in all the official Google Updates.
And it's possible that it could be loaded outside the sandbox in the same way Netflix is.
Since Team Eureka controls the Rooted Whitelist they could add the MXCCast Receiver and load it the same way Netflix is loaded.

Not sure the Dev has that type of thing in mind and not suggesting they should try to implement in that way.
Chances Google would accept that type of system working that way are slim to none...
But it would reduce the need to transcode using the Mobile device and make MX work more like a Local Netflix.
12th October 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #57  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Sooooo.....Chromecast Support for MX Player?
Hmmm....any progress on this? I'm an MX Pro customer. I would love to see Chromecast capability added to my favorite Android player. Thanks.
16th October 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #58  
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
MX Player it's nice player which supports all types of files easily.
18th November 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #59  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 993

2,494 posts
More
I think Mx should accept the video formats supported by chromecast. Transcoding will not only require a lot of power but also a bit complicated. It's nice to have standards but sometimes we have to take it or leave it.
IMO
2nd December 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #60  
Flag Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Meter: 17

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

It is possible that an IN OS Player receiver could be included in the custom rom rooted users are running in the same way Netflix is included in all the official Google Updates.
/snip/
But it would reduce the need to transcode using the Mobile device and make MX work more like a Local Netflix.

Either MX does the transcoding or an IN OS player supports .mkv because neither Chromecast (nor Chrome browser) fully support .mkv. Although both Chromecast and Chrome browser are capable of playing matroska video files (MPEG4 video and AAC audio ) through Allcast or Localcast or a Chrome web browser tab (change the file extension to .mp4) neither can render Matroska's superior soft subtitles (VOBSUB or PGS) as these are separate selectable files. Media servers like Plex can stream to Chromecast but must transcode .mkv soft subs on the fly which is computationally expensive. Many NAS servers are low-end CPU's that cannot keep up.

Anything can play .mp4 hard subtitles as they are burned into the video itself and cannot be selected, re-sized or re-positioned. If MX were able to (optionally) transcode soft subs it would offload the re-encoding to the MX device instead of the server and you would still have the selectable, position-able, properly rendered for your screen size subtitles . Hard subs can do none of this - you're stuck with what's there.

Certainly Chromecast support would be most welcome but whatever happens (in whatever time frame) MX Player is a fabulous app that I shall continue to use for most all video needs on Android.

Just my .02

The Following User Says Thank You to uhmzilighase For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, mxplayer
Previous Thread Next Thread