Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

EDIT: Oneplus One can never support FM, see final post. Was: SpiritFM on Oneplus One

OP tixatixa

6th December 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #21  
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here

https://github.com/franciscofranco/o...anco_defconfig

I think this is the config file that needs to be changed.
Can someone modify this to make changes as suggested and check?
I dont know how to build a kernel and moreover, dont have my OnePlus One yet in my hands

The file says DO NOT EDIT in the first line.. So I doubt we need to edit that one. But I'm not good with kernels either.
We could start a bounty to get FM done for OnePlus One, what would you think of that?
7th December 2014, 12:01 AM   |  #22  
Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 3,332

6,500 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjaan

The file says DO NOT EDIT in the first line.. So I doubt we need to edit that one. But I'm not good with kernels either.
We could start a bounty to get FM done for OnePlus One, what would you think of that?

IMO The probability this phone CAN support FM is very low.

It costs a penny or two to add the parts to hook FM/combo chip FM antenna pin to the wired headset connection.

If the spec does not include "FM", most companies will not pay that extra penny or 2.

If there was one variant that needed FM, chances are higher, but the holes can be left in the PCB without filling them with capacitor and coil or 2 or whatever else.

Is their NOBODY at CM/O+o/OPO who can say definitively, or who can take a few seconds to change a config file before building a kernel they need to build anyway ?

And nobody in the community who can take a few hours to learn basic kernel building ?
7th December 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #23  
Flag Utrecht

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

IMO The probability this phone CAN support FM is very low.

It costs a penny or two to add the parts to hook FM/combo chip FM antenna pin to the wired headset connection.

If the spec does not include "FM", most companies will not pay that extra penny or 2.

If there was one variant that needed FM, chances are higher, but the holes can be left in the PCB without filling them with capacitor and coil or 2 or whatever else.

Is their NOBODY at CM/O+o/OPO who can say definitively, or who can take a few seconds to change a config file before building a kernel they need to build anyway ?

And nobody in the community who can take a few hours to learn basic kernel building ?

So, I've been trying stuff. I've found a kernel with module support, but it misses the module that is needed for FM (the radio-iris-transport.ko one). Seems that did not build yet. I will try to find community members, but most seem to have lost hope.

Code:
u0@A0001:/ $ lsmod
u0@A0001:/ ls /proc/modules
/proc/modules
2|u0@A0001:/ ls -l /system/lib/modules
-rw-r--r-- root    root    4101128 2008-08-01 14:00 cifs.ko
-rw-r--r-- root    root    29283   2008-08-01 14:00 scsi_wait_scan.ko
EDIT: Seems that AK has tried to integrate the FM module. He did not succeed. I guess that will end the search for FM support.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1665
Last edited by Arrjaan; 7th December 2014 at 05:57 PM.
7th December 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Developer

6,500 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

EDIT: Seems that AK has tried to integrate the FM module. He did not succeed. I guess that will end the search for FM support.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1665

That post was from August.

I do not know exactly what he did, but IMO the only way to prove/disprove is to get the Qualcomm open source FM app, or any of my Spirit apps "working" or at least seeming to work, with no errors, and then...

It will be disproven (IE FM is impossible) if ALL of the following are true:

- Wired headset is plugged in for antenna.
- RSSI signal strength at top left is negative or around 0 when tuned to a known strong station.
- No RDS information is shown.
- Seek just runs through the band and doesn't stop at all or doesn't stop until it wraps around.
- You try the above using Spirit1 with Menu-> Settings-> Debug-> QCom Antenna set to "External" and restart Spirit1. Then try again with it set to "Internal" and restart Spirit1 again.

After testing, send me a debug log from Spirit1 to confirm. Tap the frequency button, enter the number 7 and tap "OK". After 20 seconds or so, press Send from your email client.
10th December 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #25  
Flag Utrecht

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

That post was from August.

I do not know exactly what he did, but IMO the only way to prove/disprove is to get the Qualcomm open source FM app, or any of my Spirit apps "working" or at least seeming to work, with no errors, and then...

It will be disproven (IE FM is impossible) if ALL of the following are true:

- Wired headset is plugged in for antenna.
- RSSI signal strength at top left is negative or around 0 when tuned to a known strong station.
- No RDS information is shown.
- Seek just runs through the band and doesn't stop at all or doesn't stop until it wraps around.
- You try the above using Spirit1 with Menu-> Settings-> Debug-> QCom Antenna set to "External" and restart Spirit1. Then try again with it set to "Internal" and restart Spirit1 again.

After testing, send me a debug log from Spirit1 to confirm. Tap the frequency button, enter the number 7 and tap "OK". After 20 seconds or so, press Send from your email client.

After some hours of figuring out, I've managed to build the modified kernel. For everyone that wants to test as well, it's over here [source]. I enabled the FM module:

Code:
root@A0001 :/ # lsmod
root@A0001 :/ # insmod /system/lib/modules/radio-iris-transport.ko
radio_iris_transport 4267 0 - Live 0x0000000
I got a constant signal strength of zero, while being in my room with my FM radio at home turned on. I've send you the log to confirm.
Last edited by Arrjaan; 10th December 2014 at 11:49 PM.
11th December 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #26  
Recognized Developer

6,500 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

After some hours of figuring out, I've managed to build the modified kernel. For everyone that wants to test as well, it's over here [source]. I enabled the FM module:

Code:
root@A0001 :/ # insmod /system/lib/modules/radio-iris-transport.ko
radio_iris_transport 4267 0 - Live 0x0000000
I got a constant signal strength of zero, while being in my room with my FM radio at home turned on. I've send you the log to confirm.

Thanks.

I can confirm from the debug log that everything APPEARS to work, except that RSSI is always 0.

Changing Debug->QCom Antenna changed nothing.

So, as far as I am concerned, the FM antenna pins are both grounded which renders FM capability in the Qualcomm FM/combo chip useless.

I am closing this thread because there is nothing more to say unless by some miracle we find some hidden magic antenna switch, or we find that it uses an FM-disabling firmware that can be changed.

Please post any further queries in the general thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1059296

Anything is possible, but I officially give up at this point.

Please feel free to ask the OnePlus One people why FM was not provided as originally promised, and if future devices will support FM.
Last edited by mikereidis; 11th December 2014 at 12:55 AM.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread