Thread Closed

Xposed - Legacy thread. Don't panic, Xposed is still here.

OP rovo89

31st March 2012, 02:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 14,532

2,380 posts
More
General information on Xposed has been moved to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...gelog-t2714053
The FAQ has been moved to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/-t2735540
Questions, suggestions, bug reports and so on can be posted in the Xposed General forum (for the installer/framework/development only) and in the Xposed Framework modules forum (for anything module-related).
Last edited by rovo89; 19th June 2014 at 01:29 PM.
The Following 175 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 03:27 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Piraeus
Thanks Meter: 5,841

4,253 posts
Donate to Me
More
Sounds interesting.I hope that you make a apk that simplifies things for simple user like rom control in AOKP
Keep up the good work my friend
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Siberian Tiger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 04:31 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 421

603 posts
That's great, decompiling/compiling apks is not really my cup of tea lol thanks rovo89
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krendelrus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 05:20 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Themer
Flag Bologna
Thanks Meter: 4,775

7,160 posts
Donate to Me
More
May be useful for my themes, keep working on it
Last edited by Razer(x); 31st March 2012 at 05:22 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Razer(x) For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2012, 09:51 AM   |  #5  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 377

570 posts
Donate to Me
More
Very interesting... Will try soon.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to sangosnip69 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2012, 01:04 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ballyhalbert
Thanks Meter: 23

261 posts
More
Thumbs up
This looks like a really great idea and could help reduce the need for dev's being pestered by users for mod's every time a new rom is leaked/released, well done sir, hope to see this take off
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ukdtweak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2012, 03:53 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

34 posts
More
I will definitely have a swing at this over the next few days. This looks like fun!

**This message will self-destruct**
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rotsj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2012, 10:17 PM   |  #8  

2,380 posts
More
Thanks for the "thanks" everyone. I decided to create an installer first before looking into the other things. This way, I hope a few people can test whether it works on their device (see first post for the APK).

Some notes about this:
  • The installer holds the app_process executable and the XposedBridge.jar as assets and can install it to the correct locations (root permissions required!).
  • It will automatically create a backup of /system/bin/app_process at /system/bin/app_process.orig, which can be restored either via the app or via shell (e.g. adb, works in recovery as well).
  • I have only tested it on ICS (LPQ Stock). Honestly, I do not have the time to test it with anything below that. If somebody wants to do this, I can help you to get started with the code. app_process was not changed very often, so chances are rather good that it will work with only few changes.
  • The installer requires SDK15 (4.0.3) for the same reason.
  • Improvements for any part of the code are welcome! It should be easy to use for both users and developers.
  • (Un-)Installing the installer app alone does not change anything (at least not now). Please use the buttons inside the app.
The next step should now really be to load modules dynamically, I hope I can use standard installable APKs for that (although the framework will probably request enabling confirmation for technical and security reasons).
Last edited by rovo89; 2nd April 2012 at 10:21 PM.
The Following 121 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2012, 10:32 PM   |  #9  

2,380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian tiger

I hope that you make a apk that simplifies things for simple user like rom control in AOKP

From what I read, Rom Control seems to be something like the Settings app for ROM-specific stuff? I am not so sure yet whether I want to implement generic settings in the framework.
Having a standard interface for setting loading/saving (like or using Android's Shared Preferences) would probably make sense. But the settings themself can be very different from module to module, so I would rather let those bring their own settings menus.

What I did though was to implement an installer. My idea how it should ideally work for end users:
  1. Install the Xposed Installer
  2. Click the "Install/Update" button in the installer
  3. Install one or more modules
  4. Configure the modules (if necessary)
  5. Have fun!

Where "install" would mean that you can download the app from the Play Store or a website and install it with the usual package manager. At least for steps 1 and 2, this is working already. For the others, I have to see.
The Following 86 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th April 2012, 08:54 PM   |  #10  

2,380 posts
More
Dynamic module loading is implemented now as well. Modules are normal apps with a special metadata tag and an asset describing which classes to load. You can look at my modifications for examples how this works. I think it is quite simple to develop and use.

I feel that Xposed is quite stable right now. It should be very easy to install both the framework and the modules without any knowledge about modding.

Also for developers, creating a new module is not too complicated. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'm happy to help you getting started. I'm convinced that Xposed is great alternative to APK modifying, but it will not work without developers creating modules for it.

Speaking of modules, I have published one for the famous CRT off effect: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1583963
The source code is also available at Github. See how it has less than 40 lines (and only about 10 LOC)? I think that this is awesome!

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
don't ask questions about modules here!!!, framework, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread