[TUTORIAL] How to FULLY root China Variants MATE 2 on 4.4.2

OP 4L0M

18th September 2014, 07:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 33

67 posts
More
DISCLAIMER : You attempt the following at your own risk !

I'm not responsible if your phone blows up, bricks, you travel back in time or go bald or something!

Background :

I have the MT2-L05 Mate 2 from China.

When I received my Mate 2 last Thursday, the phone was on 4.2.2

After much hunting and downloading and flashing of ROMS, I managed to finally update to 4.4.2 KitKat.

Great ! I was happy. But I didn't have root access.

After trying and failing to use the various bootloader unlock tools on these forums, I Emailed Huawei, and politely asked them if I could have the 16 digit code for my Mate 2. An hour later an Email arrived with my bootloader unlock code, so I fastbooted, used the code and unlocked the Bootloader.....Cool ! Thanks Huawei, great customer service.

I then went to root my phone, and here the problems started. I tried at least 20 different Root tools, both via phone and over the pc, but no joy.
Nothing worked ! Vroot, Kingoroot, Towelroot, srs root, root genius 1.8.7, etc they all failed.

I was at the point of giving up, when I found a Chinese version of rootgenius 2.0.1.3......I ran it via pc........and Success ! I was finally rooted.

Supersu was installed, the binaries updated fine and all was good with the world. I tried wakelock detector first ( Yeah, I know, I REALLY need more battery life from the Mate 2 ! ), and Supersu asked for permission and it worked no problem.

I then tried to install adaway, and then I ran into problems, I was unable to edit my hosts file....ummm...odd. OK, then I tried to install xposed......Impossible to install.

I then read on these forums to edit build.prop and change a simple setting to get xposed running.......ok, no problem, yet when I edited my build.prop file, it would NEVER EVER save the edits. Weird? what's going on?.......after much searching and much reading I finally found the problem.................

Root Genius 2.0.1.3 :

http://www.shuame.com/root/
The Following User Says Thank You to 4L0M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #2  
OP Member

67 posts
More
The Problem :

The 4.4.2 update adds a file to your System folder called :

set_immutable.list

this file contains :

Code:
/system/bin
/system/build.prop
/system/etc
/system/fonts
/system/framework
/system/isp.bin
/system/lib
/system/ons.bin
/system/usr
/system/vendor
/system/xbin
/system/app/HwLauncher6.apk
/system/app/HwLauncher6.odex
/system/app/systemUI.apk
/system/app/systemUI.odex
Any location listed above is IMPOSSIBE to mount as rw. Every file explorer or emulator you try will tell you it is rw, but it's not.

It's locked down completely...................and it's REALLY annoying.

This is why I could never edit my build.prop or Install Adaway etc..................

But I found a solution...... ( I think ! )..........
18th September 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

67 posts
More
The Solution :

I spent the afternoon at work using google translate to find a fix for my problem and found a post from a guy called :

**** wire His Royal Highness Prince czx ( I cannot post the first 4 letters as it will probably be banned....It must be a Google translate error but it made me laugh ! )

His guide never worked for me until I made a few edits and added STEP 4. Then I got it to work.

The Solution :

1, First Root your Phone ( I suggest trying Root Genius 2.0.1.3 from my first post )

2, install busybox (I suggest BusyBox ( Stericson ) as I couldn't get this to work with the Jrummy BusyBox installer )

3, Install Rom Toolbox Pro ( I know it's payware and I tried other programs, but this is the only one that worked for me. I had already purchased ages ago. The free version may contain the following tools too, but I genuinely don't know )

4, open Scripter from Rom Toolbox pro and click " Mount System R/W "

5, open Terminal Emulator from Rom Toolbox Pro

Type: su then press enter
Type: mount -o rw, remount / system then press enter
Type: cd system then press enter
Type: chattr -R -i * then press enter

(On step 5 there is a space between remount forward slash and system and also between i and *)

6, Leave Terminal Emulator open, Hit your Home Button

7, then delete the file :system / set_immutable.list with Root Explorer. Other File managers with root access may work, I haven't tried

If you can not delete it, the above steps haven't worked, I can only suggest you try from step 4 after rebooting your phone.

If you are successful and manage to delete the set_immutable.list file then reboot your phone.

Job Done !

You now have full Root Access.

This has been tested by myself on my MT2-L05, it should work on ALL China Variants and presumably on the US MT2-L03 if this file is included in a 4.4.2 update, but I obviously cannot guarantee this.

I'm also curious as to whether anyone thinks this has left my phone open to exploits by the deleting this file....? Remember, if I have done something stupid by doing this, then so will you if you follow the above!

All I know is Xposed has installed perfectly after finally being able to edit my build.prop file and Adaway is running like a charm.

Feedback very welcome.
Last edited by 4L0M; 18th September 2014 at 08:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4L0M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4L0M

The Solution :
Snip

5, open Terminal Emulator from Rom Toolbox Pro

Type: su then press enter
Type: mount -o rw, remount / system then press enter
Type: cd system then press enter
Type: chattr -R -i * then press enter

(On step 5 there is a space between remount forward slash and system and also between i and *)

Snip

I followed your guide, the part I bolded didn't seem to work for me, but after a few attempts I just kept going with the rest of the guide and I was still able to delete the file at the end of the day Thank you so much! I always felt like the root I had with 4.2 was kind of a pseudo root since I was limited by my root access, this is exactly what I needed!
22nd September 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 30

351 posts
I manage to get root and delete that file. Hooray and thanks! But after editing the build.prop, I still can't get xposed to install. I keep getting this error on the install screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140922_225258.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (87.6 KB, 34 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to scpion For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd September 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpion

I manage to get root and delete that file. Hooray and thanks! But after editing the build.prop, I still can't get xposed to install. I keep getting this error on the install screen.

Install xposed 2.5.1, it's the safest option for now and you will not get this error message.

I haven't tried too many xposed apps yet, but wanam works if you want circle battery etc

Experimental features of Greenify work too.

Gravity box Kitkat will not run properly for me.. I suggest you do not attempt to install it at the moment.

Let me know if you find anymore cool xposed modules to try!
22nd September 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 30

351 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4L0M

Install xposed 2.5.1, it's the safest option for now and you will not get this error message.

I haven't tried too many xposed apps yet, but wanam works if you want circle battery etc

Experimental features of Greenify work too.

Gravity box Kitkat will not run properly for me.. I suggest you do not attempt to install it at the moment.

Let me know if you find anymore cool xposed modules to try!

Thanks dude. Btw does your device support Google search by swiping up from home?
6th October 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

28 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpion

Same issue for me
6th October 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrck

Same issue for me

Cool xposed apps for 2.5.1 :

wanam kit : adds circle battery, expanded notifications, 4-way reboot menu etc etc
Android L Navbar : adds Android L navbar and Android L shapes Navbar

Both work flawlessly for me and have NEVER crashed once.
Last edited by 4L0M; 6th October 2014 at 04:11 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread