FORUMS

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Wifi disconnect problem, might have worked out what's causing it...

20th October 2014, 01:20 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
(Firstly I know I just posted and said Surdu Petru's Kit Kat Carbon Rom is awesome and it is. So is his Omni Rom which I just changed from. The wifi problem isn't caused by the roms. it's been happening with all sorts of Roms for me (and loads of other people on other phones)

I noticed before when I installed his Omni Rom ( and at least 5x before with other roms) that the WiFi was working perfectly until some point between a Google restore & titanium backup - restore. Then I'd start getting the WiFi disconnecting every 30 seconds, even when standing next to the router on my home network.
I Googled and tried everything I could find but nothing would work. So when I installed Carbon Rom a few days ago I flashed the rom and let it install to the Google log in, connected to WiFi and signed into my Google account BUT I didn't allow Google to restore data etc, just let it log in & didn't do a full titanium restore. I then slowly (Titanium Backup) restored all my apps individually that I wanted but MOST of them I just restored the app and not the data. Everything has been perfect for two days, full strong five bar WiFi signal throughout my house, never dropping the WiFi until about 1hr ago... when I opened up Google maps , accepted it's access & (we will learn everything about you) permissions, clicked on the maps GPS logo, it asked me to go to location settings, went there, approved high accuracy and BOOM, WiFi disconnected and my WiFi now says not in range. So... is it going to some server and changing my location in the phone so now it doesn't think I'm where I am and therefore doesn't want to connect to the router 1 meter from me with five bars on the phone but "not within range"? Is this what could be causing problems for loads of people on different phones?
Tried everything to get it to reconnect (Wifi On/Off, Airplane mode on/off, Wifi advanced settings re weak connection etc, Rebooted phone and nothing worked.

Did another Google search and found this forum

http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comme..._my_nexus_4_a/

where about halfway down it mentions to disable hangouts and log out of Google+ then reboot. I did this and now my WiFi is back to full signal and not dropping connection.

So is this the solution to this? I haven't yet re-signed into Google+ or enabled hangouts or re-opened Google Maps and gone through the whole process above as I'm worried it will screw up my WiFi again.

Just thought I'd put this out there hoping that a developer, such as the Excellent Surdu Petru, might "click" and come up with a fix.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread