Absolutely cannot get phone working with ADB

Search This thread

xxDriveNxx

Dec 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hey everyone.
So I updated my Atrix 2 to the ICS leak earlier today, and can't for the life of me get it to show up in ADB.

What I've done:
1) Tried on Windows (7) and Mac (10.7) using the SDK and downloaded versions of ADB.
2) Installed different Moto drivers on the PC. Ones that I found via a Google search, and the ones on the phone when mounted.
3) Toggled USB Debugging on and off 100+ times, and checked through all the settings.
4) Tried different mount modes- MTP, PTP, and Mass Storage, all while toggling USB debugging.
5) Tried adb kill-server, adb start-server, adb devices, adb usb, adb wait-for-device way too many times.
6) Tried different USB ports and different cables on both computers
7) Tested my Galaxy Nexus (verizon) which was detected by ADB on both setups with no trouble
8) Booted into Fastboot and tried ADB, but no luck.

At this point I'm ready to smack my head against the wall. Why in the world won't the phone get detected by ADB?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: DanielBeaver

cogeary

Dec 5, 2011
New Orleans
Hey everyone.
So I updated my Atrix 2 to the ICS leak earlier today, and can't for the life of me get it to show up in ADB.

What I've done:
1) Tried on Windows (7) and Mac (10.7) using the SDK and downloaded versions of ADB.
2) Installed different Moto drivers on the PC. Ones that I found via a Google search, and the ones on the phone when mounted.
3) Toggled USB Debugging on and off 100+ times, and checked through all the settings.
4) Tried different mount modes- MTP, PTP, and Mass Storage, all while toggling USB debugging.
5) Tried adb kill-server, adb start-server, adb devices, adb usb, adb wait-for-device way too many times.
7) Tested my Galaxy Nexus (verizon) which was detected by ADB on both setups with no trouble

At this point I'm ready to smack my head against the wall. Why in the world won't the phone get detected by ADB?

I had the same problem initially as well. I did some research and found a thread on the Moto support forum in which people with the official Razr ICS had the same problem. What finally fixed it for me was:
-Uninstall all drivers for your A2, reboot
-Install THESE drivers, reboot
-Factory reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset, or something like that). Yes I know it's annoying but it's necessary.
-Once your phone reboots, just sign into google. Don't uninstall any apps or do anything like that. Don't enable USB debugging either.
-Connect for all 3 different connection modes. Wait for the drivers to download each time. If a driver fails to download, then uninstall it (not the MotoHelper), reboot your computer, enable the installation of unknown sources on your phone, then repeat this step.
-Once you have all those drivers installed, time to reinstall them with ADB! :eek: Enable USB debugging and repeat the previous step
-Once all your drivers are installed, reboot for good measure. But you should be good to do whatever you want now.

Hope this helps. I know it's a pretty roundabout way, but it works :\.

xxDriveNxx

Dec 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I had the same problem initially as well. I did some research and found a thread on the Moto support forum in which people with the official Razr ICS had the same problem. What finally fixed it for me was:
-Factory reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset, or something like that). Yes I know it's annoying but it's necessary.
-Once your phone reboots, just sign into google. Don't uninstall any apps or do anything like that. Don't enable USB debugging either.
-Connect for all 3 different connection modes. Wait for the drivers to download each time. If a driver fails to download, then uninstall it (not the MotoHelper), reboot your computer, enable the installation of unknown sources on your phone, then repeat this step.
-Once you have all those drivers installed, time to reinstall them with ADB! :eek: Enable USB debugging and repeat the previous step
-Once all your drivers are installed, reboot for good measure. But you should be good to do whatever you want now.

I guess I'll have to give the factory wipe a shot tonight. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that since I can't use Titanium Backup due to lack of root.

rdhoggattjr

Aug 13, 2011
all i did was have my phone plugged in while i was installing the drivers. but i did have to download the ones from your post.

kousik

Nov 28, 2010
Bangalore
I followed the steps as above except the factory reset part (as that's a painful experience) but no joy. After ICS OTA upgrade, no adb for me. Looks like I'll bite the bullet and do a factory reset finally.

Before that I'll wait if anyone can post an easier workaround here. I have a 32-bit windows vista. (And a Ubuntu virtual machine on vmplayer)

ADDED Finally `Factory reset' had to be done and that did the trick. Without factory reset, the phone will not present itself as a ADB interface - hence ADB driver won't load - hence ADB will not detect it. So I don't know if all the driver uninstall/install/reboot in 3 modes ritual is necessary ... if you have all the drivers, just factory reset/wipe data and the phone shows up in adb.

Last edited:

Bob G

Oct 15, 2012
Renton, WA
I followed the steps as above except the factory reset part (as that's a painful experience) but no joy. After ICS OTA upgrade, no adb for me. Looks like I'll bite the bullet and do a factory reset finally.

Before that I'll wait if anyone can post an easier workaround here. I have a 32-bit windows vista. (And a Ubuntu virtual machine on vmplayer)

ADDED Finally `Factory reset' had to be done and that did the trick. Without factory reset, the phone will not present itself as a ADB interface - hence ADB driver won't load - hence ADB will not detect it. So I don't know if all the driver uninstall/install/reboot in 3 modes ritual is necessary ... if you have all the drivers, just factory reset/wipe data and the phone shows up in adb.

I had the same problem and did a factory reset yesterday. It worked fine, so I re-rooted.

But that was yesterday. Now today, adb will not connect again. Something more is going on here. I suspect it is related to the fact that I did the OTA update from ATT without first un-rooting or doing a factory reset. I also had added files to system memory (ringtones - which are still there).

EDIT: Sorry, I spoke too soon. One thing I hadn't done was to "Connect for all 3 different connection modes." I had only connected in Mass Storage and Media Device modes, so I connected in "Camera (PTP)" mode, allowed the drivers to install on my PC, and then adb started working again (in Camera or Media Device modes, but still not in Mass Storage Mode).

Last edited:

deveshmanish

Sep 22, 2012
New Delhi
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
I had the same problem and did a factory reset yesterday. It worked fine, so I re-rooted.

But that was yesterday. Now today, adb will not connect again. Something more is going on here. I suspect it is related to the fact that I did the OTA update from ATT without first un-rooting or doing a factory reset. I also had added files to system memory (ringtones - which are still there).

EDIT: Sorry, I spoke too soon. One thing I hadn't done was to "Connect for all 3 different connection modes." I had only connected in Mass Storage and Media Device modes, so I connected in "Camera (PTP)" mode, allowed the drivers to install on my PC, and then adb started working again (in Camera or Media Device modes, but still not in Mass Storage Mode).

FYI adb will not work in mass storage mode.adb needs the phone memory and other access which are not there when you connect your phone in mass storage where it acts merely as a card reader

Sent from my Atrix2 Stock ICS Leak#2 Rooted,Deodexed,With Google Now...

imcmeans

Oct 18, 2013
Just in case anyone else was on the fence about doing this: I had tried a million things (trying different computers, different USB cables, installing and uninstalling different drivers, editing driver inf files, editing adb_usb.ini, etc) for several days and nothing worked. I was skeptical about the factory reset helping, but now that I did it I can finally connect to my phone. Yay!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone.

What I've done:

Hey everyone.

What I've done: