Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] android 5.0 on atrix 2?

OP jdog1989lycro

26th December 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #21  
Aceofzeroz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brown's Town
Thanks Meter: 926
 
739 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog1989

What about converting RAZR new safestrap to atrix 2? We could then flash rsdlite back to stock, install new safestrap, and port a 5.0 rom and flash? Suppose its obviously not that simple but an idea since 5.0 roms dont seem to work with bmm

Sent from my GT-P3113 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I would love it to be that simple, trust me, but it's not with the attempts we've made to do so and trying to work out the bugs.

Again, the Safestrap progress is practically at 90% completion, but with it still unable to boot kexec roms it makes it pointless to share anything right now. But yeah, you could say we're better off waiting until the 5.0 roms get more stable anyway, so a few buggy Razr LP roms shouldn't send people into an unnecessary frenzy, lol.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aceofzeroz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th December 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #22  
Jack Sparrow xda's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag India
Thanks Meter: 123
 
407 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceofzeroz

Again, the Safestrap progress is practically at 90% completion, but with it still unable to boot kexec roms it makes it pointless to share anything right now.

Couldn't get that. AFAIK kitkat ROMS are kexec based. What if we flash the JB leak which I think is based on some other kernel, will safestarap be able to boot the JBLeak or even stock ICS for that matter?

Quote:

But yeah, you could say we're better off waiting until the 5.0 roms get more stable anyway, so a few buggy Razr LP roms shouldn't send people into an unnecessary frenzy, lol.

Oh obviously. No need to be in hurry. Most of us use the Atrix as our daily drivers. Even the official 5.0 firmwares are also not bug-free. I haven't yet upgraded mine Moto X2 stock kitkat to official 5.0 just in the fear that I may loose out native features of the MotoX2 or 5.0 may bring up more troubles than goodness. There are already 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 releases form Google for the bug fixings. Such is the state of the official ROM, it looks like a hurried up beta release by Google in pressure of new iOS.

I think we should drag the wait till 5.1.x which may take 2-3 months. Till then dev guys can do as much experiments and tests you want to do, or even may through some beta release on the forum for the testing purpose.

OT : One thing I want to put here that Atrix is still a very nice device. For example, the 8 MP camera of the Atrix 2 is miles ahead of 13 MP cam of MotoX 2nd gen. Autofocus just sucks in the MotoX, especially during videos. It refuses to autofocus on nearby objects during video shooting whereas Atrix 2 autofocus works quickly. Then the image processing is not of my liking. I like the RAW images Atrix 2 produces when its running AOSP ROMS. I love the untempered grain of the Atrix 2 images. But the MotoX image processor end up removing fine details of the images in course of heavy grain filtering.

Atrix 2 photos remind me of photos I used to get from my negative films DSLR camera.

Also the camera glass on the Atrix 2 is real glass which will remain scratchless whereas Moto X cam glass seems to be made of plastic which may easily get scratches during cleaning or the clarity may fade up with time.

If anyone intending for an smartphone upgrade then do not trade your Atrix 2 for the new phone upgrade, just buy a new one and keep the Atrix 2 preserved with you like what I did. Its a solid and lovely hardware.

But it doesn't mean MotoX2 is not a good phone, rather that is a great 'smartphone' and a perfect upgrade over Atrix2. smarter' features of MotoX2 makes it leagues ahead of it's competitors. The otherwise smaller looking battery is actually sufficient enough for a day. Our Atrix 2 battery can't keep up for a day when modern features like Google Now are enabled. Screen time is also just double in the MotoX compared to Atrix 2

I feel we need a proper ROM for Atrix 2 which is more battery efficient. Kitkat ROMs don't seem to be suitable on battery front atleast. Hope the Lollipop ROMs short out the battery issue of Kitkat ROMS and turn out more efficient on the Atrix 2
Last edited by Jack Sparrow xda; 27th December 2014 at 05:00 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Sparrow xda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2014, 03:24 AM   |  #23  
minhajlk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Colombo
Thanks Meter: 151
 
471 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow xda

But it doesn't mean MotoX2 is not a good phone, rather that is a great 'smartphone' and a perfect upgrade over Atrix2. smarter' features of MotoX2 makes it leagues ahead of it's competitors. The otherwise smaller looking battery is actually sufficient enough for a day. Our Atrix 2 battery can't keep up for a day when modern features like Google Now are enabled. Screen time is also just double in the MotoX compared to Atrix 2

I feel we need a proper ROM for Atrix 2 which is more battery efficient. Kitkat ROMs don't seem to be suitable on battery front atleast. Hope the Lollipop ROMs short out the battery issue of Kitkat ROMS and turn out more efficient on the Atrix 2

Have you tried this app http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...locks-t2853874, its a pretty neat concept. If you use goolge apps , you should give this app a try it works for me, you need to customize this app though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minhajlk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 03:31 AM   |  #24  
pritkudale's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nashik
Thanks Meter: 33
 
132 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceofzeroz

I would love it to be that simple, trust me, but it's not with the attempts we've made to do so and trying to work out the bugs.

Again, the Safestrap progress is practically at 90% completion, but with it still unable to boot kexec roms it makes it pointless to share anything right now. But yeah, you could say we're better off waiting until the 5.0 roms get more stable anyway, so a few buggy Razr LP roms shouldn't send people into an unnecessary frenzy, lol.

As long as you are working on Atrix 2 device we have hopes to get Android 5.0 lollipop on our device. Hope you will keep development of Atrix 2 alive.
13th January 2015, 04:45 AM   |  #25  
1BadWolf's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nowhere, Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 718
 
1,473 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
All of a sudden..... Shakespeare

"Say, what abridgement have you for this evening? What masque? What music? How shall we beguile the lazy time, if not with some delight?"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1BadWolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2015, 05:29 AM   |  #26  
Aceofzeroz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brown's Town
Thanks Meter: 926
 
739 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadWolf

All of a sudden..... Shakespeare

"Say, what abridgement have you for this evening? What masque? What music? How shall we beguile the lazy time, if not with some delight?"

Haha, never a bad time for some Shakespeare. Sorry for the lack of activity on all of this, there hasn't been any new developments since my last post.
17th January 2015, 06:48 PM   |  #27  
Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
91 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Here's a thought, couldn't we make a kexec version of 5.0based off a KitKat kernel since KitKat boots just fine? Then we could use bmm still. Just a thought... The "behind the scenes" stuff is too much for me

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th January 2015, 10:44 PM   |  #28  
Aceofzeroz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brown's Town
Thanks Meter: 926
 
739 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog1989

Here's a thought, couldn't we make a kexec version of 5.0based off a KitKat kernel since KitKat boots just fine? Then we could use bmm still. Just a thought... The "behind the scenes" stuff is too much for me

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Haha, I actually thought of something like that before but once again, that's not the root of our issue. The root is the SELinux policy changes which are implemented in the source code itself from day one.

I was looking into how to possibly disable or reverse that change, but it seems the only thing it works for are nexus device and others with unlockable bootloaders. The rest is too complicated for all the remaining A2 supporters and it seems like external assistance just isn't happening...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes