Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[ROM] CM 11 ( Android 4.4.4 ) for Atrix (BigPart)

26th March 2015, 11:51 PM   |  #1111  
Flag Florianópolis
Thanks Meter: 479

174 posts
Donate to Me
More
New "beta" kernel version. Just two minor changes: Disabled "CONFIG_NVMAP_HIGHMEM_ONLY" (it should allow the 3d engine to get more memory, on the other hand, it was one of the things I disabled for "stable" and it might be related to less reboots. Let's test and figure out) and merged @krystianp focuser improvements, try taking photos with your camera and comparing focus behavior.

Cheers.

P.S..: I suspect the permissions problem we were discussing previously to be rom-related instead of kernel, so I'm not looking into it as I'm rom-ignorant
Last edited by PolesApart; 27th March 2015 at 12:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PolesApart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2015, 07:52 AM   |  #1112  
Flag Šala
Thanks Meter: 115

259 posts
More
I had a recent kernel reboots with tethering, with new beta everything is ok, thank you
27th March 2015, 11:53 AM   |  #1113  
Flag Šala
Thanks Meter: 115

259 posts
More
For me this is total nostalgy .. I have Nexus 5, but I threw sim card into my Atrix .. Thank you all, for your hard work ..
27th March 2015, 01:20 PM   |  #1114  
Quote:
Originally Posted by netinetinet

For me this is total nostalgy .. I have Nexus 5, but I threw sim card into my Atrix .. Thank you all, for your hard work ..

It is pretty amazing how this device won't die. Thought we hit the brick wall at 4.3 and 4.4 (4.3 was reported to have issues and then there was a long time between that and 4.4), but it just keeps going.

I know a lot of us are waiting for LP, but from personal experience on 5.0-5.0.2, it might be a good idea to wait for 5.1

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app
27th March 2015, 01:47 PM   |  #1115  
Thanks Meter: 13

100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolesApart

New "beta" kernel version. Just two minor changes: Disabled "CONFIG_NVMAP_HIGHMEM_ONLY" (it should allow the 3d engine to get more memory, on the other hand, it was one of the things I disabled for "stable" and it might be related to less reboots. Let's test and figure out) and merged @krystianp focuser improvements, try taking photos with your camera and comparing focus behavior.

Cheers.

P.S..: I suspect the permissions problem we were discussing previously to be rom-related instead of kernel, so I'm not looking into it as I'm rom-ignorant

Thanks P,
Still didn't flash the last one,
I am only two days with previous one (21.3.15).
Still check it .
Only thing I see is waking up device take 5 sec '.
I didn't really understand if I should already upgrade to the last one , or it would be good also checking this kernel?

One more thing,
I see 723M memory.
For what I remember , I used to see bigger amount of memory....

Sent from my Atrix 4G KK444, Z's CM11v4 , P's 20150321 kernel.
Last edited by iTaisHi; 27th March 2015 at 01:53 PM.
27th March 2015, 02:15 PM   |  #1116  
Flag Florianópolis
Thanks Meter: 479

174 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTaisHi

Thanks P,
Still didn't flash the last one,
I am only two days with previous one (21.3.15).
Still check it .
Only thing I see is waking up device take 5 sec '.
I didn't really understand if I should already upgrade to the last one , or it would be good also checking this kernel?

The recommended kernel is the one you're using.

I'd suggest everyone to try it for a few days and report to me *if* you get *all* of these conditions together:
- using it on wifi
- using it on 3g for at least a few hours
- both scenarios above, but repeated both on wall charger or dock and on battery
- manage to get at least 3 days of uptime (i.e. no self reboots in between).

If you do get reboots or manage to get 3 days of uptime on those conditions, then please repeat with the other kernel and also try comparing pictures and tell krystianp or myself about it (and if someone leaves their phone idle 24h/7 on wifi please don't bother reporting anything other than the focuser as I can't use the other information for anything right now).

I'm also interested in somewhat heavy 3d games or apps or benchmarks, see if they behave better/worst between releases. In case of benchmarks please take an average score of a minimum of 5 subsequent tests on either kernel (use the same number of attempts on both cases) before concluding a kernel goes better than the other, these benchmarks fools us.

In maybe a week or two I'll probably have a better idea if the toggled config option has any impact on stability/usability and if it doesn't negative impact anything, the beta will be promoted to stable (same kernel, won't change anything other than declaring the current stable obsolete), otherwise I'll put to rest the config option and use the stable one as a basis for next stable kernel (which currently would have just the focuser change in mind).

As for the delay, YMMV, but I also have it many times, other times it's instant, and IIRC all my december kernels had worst delay and it was all the time.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTaisHi

One more thing,
I see 723M memory.
For what I remember , I used to see bigger amount of memory....

I think that I raised the dedicated memory, but I'll double check that. Nevertheless, for a while I took 8MB from the (originally) 16MB memory dedicated to the HDMI framebuffer and gave it back to the system, but my latest kernels reverted that, so you should see at least that much less memory. Now that krystianp is working to have HDMI working we'll probably need it anyway

As a side note, today most memory used by the graphics engine is reserved for it, so our 1G has that much less memory for general usage. At least in theory, newer kernels (>3.4 IIRC) would have the ability to get rid of most (but not all) of the dedicated video memory even on our tegra2, so both general purpuse apps and 3d graphics ones would compete for ram dynamically: non-graphics intensive could use more memory, and graphics-intensive-only too. But as the tegra 2 has some limitations on this I don't know if this development went mature and if it had negative performance impacts, but I'm pretty sure it was developed *before* nvidia dropped tegra2 support entirely, so the code should be there somewhere.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PolesApart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2015, 02:21 PM   |  #1117  
Flag mexico df
Thanks Meter: 18

190 posts
PolesApart. who are doing great work. hopefully soon have working Hdmi. still have great battery consumption and a long wait to load it. you have any suggestions for this? hug.
27th March 2015, 02:32 PM   |  #1118  

100 posts
More
There is a nice APP that logs the reboots.
"Reboot logger" (be.watana.rebootlogger)

Easy way to look after the reboots and know if at night you had more than 1 reboots.

I currently not finding it in the play store,
(Or not searched so good)
if someone want ,I will try upload up here.

Yesterday, 08:46 AM   |  #1119  

100 posts
More
Unfortunately I had to go back to 20150205 kernel.

20150321 caused the device work very slowly, some freezes, and eventually WiFi stopped working.
I had to go back to 20150205 to verify that the non working WiFi is not caused of a hardware failure.

The WiFi symptoms was the I turn it to "on" , but the button is not getting blue , and got back to "off".

For know I will stay with that version,
Unless it would be useful to check something else on the new version...

One more issue I have for along time already :
When start camera app , sometimes I get an error : "can't connect to camera".
This error come and go, and I couldn't see any pattern of the reason for that.
The camera in my device is not stable at all.
Its could be hardware issue,
Any idea of how to verify it ?

Sent from my Atrix 4G KK444, Z's CM11v4 , P's 20150205 kernel.
Last edited by iTaisHi; Yesterday at 02:56 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread