Boot Android while Ubuntu Chroot stays UP - Atrix Webtop Users/Devs-check this out

Search This thread
Sep 24, 2014
Seattle
OK... I have been hacking and playing with the Atrix 4G and it's well integrated Ubuntu chroot for quite some time... ("So what?", i know, LOL) But, I accidentally have stumbled on something "new:"

Reboot Android system while Ubuntu system stays up and running.

(Have top or another process monitor running while you do this, to observe the activity.)

Simply kill the Nvidia Resource Manager Daemon by: "sudo killall nvrm_daemon" in terminal.

The Ubuntu system will remain up and running, and the android system will reboot. The boot animation and other display activity will be visible in your 'aiw' android-in-window phone view.

Possibilities? Offhand I would say you can perhaps use this to boot android on the Atrix 4g more 'on your terms' - so as to allow a greater degree of hacking. Or to observe and learn from the boot process in new ways - also towards the goal of increased hackability.

The Ubuntu system goes into standby once the phone boots to the point that the unlock screen is brought up. (This could be delayed or prevented) However, once the atrix is unlocked and you return to webtop, the session, including web pages in FireFox is completely intact - so any data collected during the android boot can be saved and parsed...

Please let me know if anything cool comes of this.

Regards,
Jason Bender

PS: email me for info on how to:
1. make open office run in a appropriate GTK color theme while also retaining the attractive GTK 'webtop-theme' (or any other dark theme) on the remainder of the system without breaking webtop-panel or anything else!

2. How to get Samsung, Dell and similar (SPLix) printers working fully and normally with webtop.!
:

Last edited:
Reactions: skaven2k2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK... I have been hacking and playing with the Atrix 4G and it's well integrated Ubuntu chroot for quite some time... ("So what?", i know, LOL) But, I accidentally have stumbled on something "new:"

Reboot Android system while Ubuntu system stays up and running.

(Have top or another process monitor running while you do this, to observe the activity.)

Simply kill the Nvidia Resource Manager Daemon by: "sudo killall nvrm_daemon" in terminal.

The Ubuntu system will remain up and running, and the android system will reboot. The boot animation and other display activity will be visible in your 'aiw' android-in-window phone view.

Possibilities? Offhand I would say you can perhaps use this to boot android on the Atrix 4g more 'on your terms' - so as to allow a greater degree of hacking. Or to observe and learn from the boot process in new ways - also towards the goal of increased hackability.

The Ubuntu system goes into standby once the phone boots to the point that the unlock screen is brought up. (This could be delayed or prevented) However, once the atrix is unlocked and you return to webtop, the session, including web pages in FireFox is completely intact - so any data collected during the android boot can be saved and parsed...

Please let me know if anything cool comes of this.

Regards,
    Jason Bender

PS: email me for info on how to:
    1. make open office run in a appropriate GTK color theme while also retaining the attractive GTK 'webtop-theme' (or any other dark theme) on the remainder of the system without breaking webtop-panel or anything else!

2. How to get Samsung, Dell and similar (SPLix) printers working fully and normally with webtop.!
    :