No registration required

Location [Q] Please help in unbricking Atrix HD MB886

OP capricorn85

27th May 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hi

I have been playing around with my Atrix HD for quite a while now, installing almost all custom roms out there for MB866 (Found Gummy and Carbon to be the best, batakang and holoblur never worked for me).

Restored back to stock using RSD Lite many times (after editing the xml file, no problems)

The bootloader was of course unlocked during "all that".

Now here is the problem. After restoring to stock 4.1.1 (98.4.20.MB886.ATT.en.US) using RSD Lite, I updated to 98.5.38.MB886.ATT.en.US (small 6.2 MB Update recently released).Worked fine till here.

Then I downgraded to ICS and it also worked fine. What made things worse was when I checked for updates via About Phone--> System Updates and it prompted for an Update 98.4.20.MB886.ATT.en.US (the same i used to flash via RSD). But when the download finished, the phone is permanently stuck in fastboot mode with the following message:

----------------------------------------------
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (s)
10.9B(*) (sha-2e68372, 2012-11-17 23:33:08)
eMMC Info: Size 8GB

Device is LOCKED. Status Code:0

Battery OK

Transfer Mode: USB Connected

downgraded security version
update gpt_main version failed
Failed to hab check for gpt_backup: 0x35
failed to load GPT
CID Read Failure
Invalid CID Status 0x69
No SP Partition found
Fastboot Reason: Invalid GPT

You can see the phone is locked and RSD Lite doesent work at all giving "phone returmed fail" or " invalid partition error (battery is charged atleast 70%).

Any help in restoring the phone to "something" will be highly appreciated.

One of the problem is that i cannot find stock files for the latest 98.5.38.MB886.ATT.en.US update anywhere
Secondly is there any way to unlock Bootloader in fastboot?
27th May 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 2,864

2,850 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn85

Hi

I have been playing around with my Atrix HD for quite a while now, installing almost all custom roms out there for MB866 (Found Gummy and Carbon to be the best, batakang and holoblur never worked for me).

Restored back to stock using RSD Lite many times (after editing the xml file, no problems)

The bootloader was of course unlocked during "all that".

Now here is the problem. After restoring to stock 4.1.1 (98.4.20.MB886.ATT.en.US) using RSD Lite, I updated to 98.5.38.MB886.ATT.en.US (small 6.2 MB Update recently released).Worked fine till here.

Then I downgraded to ICS and it also worked fine. What made things worse was when I checked for updates via About Phone--> System Updates and it prompted for an Update 98.4.20.MB886.ATT.en.US (the same i used to flash via RSD). But when the download finished, the phone is permanently stuck in fastboot mode with the following message:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (s)
10.9B(*) (sha-2e68372, 2012-11-17 23:33:08)
eMMC Info: Size 8GB

Device is LOCKED. Status Code:0

Battery OK

Transfer Mode: USB Connected

downgraded security version
update gpt_main version failed
Failed to hab check for gpt_backup: 0x35
failed to load GPT
CID Read Failure
Invalid CID Status 0x69
No SP Partition found
Fastboot Reason: Invalid GPT

You can see the phone is locked and RSD Lite doesent work at all giving "phone returmed fail" or " invalid partition error (battery is charged atleast 70%).

Any help in restoring the phone to "something" will be highly appreciated.

One of the problem is that i cannot find stock files for the latest 98.5.38.MB886.ATT.en.US update anywhere
Secondly is there any way to unlock Bootloader in fastboot?

"fastboot oem fb_mode_clear" should get it to stop booting into fastboot mode
The problem is the gpt partition is security locked and one of the fastboot commands thrown is to lock the phone into fastboot mode for every boot until the flashes are done. The command above is the one used to revert the first one (fastboot oem fb_mode_set if you're curious). Your bootloader isn't, or shouldn't I should say, locked again. The RAZR HD does the same thing if you directly flash a fastboot without removing the bad partitions and commands for unlocked phones flashing non-stock fastboots. The bad ones are the gpt partition and the oem fb* commands....there are a lot of guides that explain this and Mythtools (in AHD Developer forums) will do it all for you.
27th May 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude

"fastboot oem fb_mode_clear" should get it to stop booting into fastboot mode
The problem is the gpt partition is security locked and one of the fastboot commands thrown is to lock the phone into fastboot mode for every boot until the flashes are done. The command above is the one used to revert the first one (fastboot oem fb_mode_set if you're curious). Your bootloader isn't, or shouldn't I should say, locked again. The RAZR HD does the same thing if you directly flash a fastboot without removing the bad partitions and commands for unlocked phones flashing non-stock fastboots. The bad ones are the gpt partition and the oem fb* commands....there are a lot of guides that explain this and Mythtools (in AHD Developer forums) will do it all for you.

fastboot oem fb_mode_clear doesnt work, i tried it before as well, mythtools also cannt help as device status is locked and if rsd cannt flash it i believe myth also cannt.and the reason i say its locked is because it does not respond to any oem command.

it probably got locked after the ota which failed

if i could find fxz for 98.5.38.MB886.ATT.en.US, it may be restored otherwise is there any way around to unlock bootloder from fastboot??

these are the only two options i can think of amoungst which later is has the least probability.......
27th May 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs

2,850 posts
More
Quote:

fastboot oem fb_mode_clear doesnt work, i tried it before as well, mythtools also cannt help as device status is locked and if rsd cannt flash it i believe myth also cannt.and the reason i say its locked is because it does not respond to any oem command.

it probably got locked after the ota which failed

if i could find fxz for 98.5.38.MB886.ATT.en.US, it may be restored otherwise is there any way around to unlock bootloder from fastboot??

these are the only two options i can think of amoungst which later is has the least probability.......

There isn't an fxz for that update yet. The one I would be able to make wouldn't include the correct gpt partition because I've flashed the Nextel fxz and none of the other gpt partitions from our stock fxz's will flash on my phone (there's a security lock on that partition). Though I know that between two or three of us here on xda, an fxz could be made with all the correct partitions from the update.

If you're positive that you were unlocked then just flash the Bell or Nextel 4.1.2 fxz's. They're not vulnerable to the heartbleed exploit which is the main reason that AT&T released the 98.5 update to begin with.

Have you tried "fastboot continue"? You might get lucky and the phone will at least boot up. And tried booting to recovery? Boot menu?

You can only unlock the bootloader from a rooted, running phone with ADB enabled. Can't do it in recovery or fastboot mode (unless you have a developer edition).
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:

There isn't an fxz for that update yet. The one I would be able to make wouldn't include the correct gpt partition because I've flashed the Nextel fxz and none of the other gpt partitions from our stock fxz's will flash on my phone (there's a security lock on that partition). Though I know that between two or three of us here on xda, an fxz could be made with all the correct partitions from the update.

If you're positive that you were unlocked then just flash the Bell or Nextel 4.1.2 fxz's. They're not vulnerable to the heartbleed exploit which is the main reason that AT&T released the 98.5 update to begin with.

Have you tried "fastboot continue"? You might get lucky and the phone will at least boot up. And tried booting to recovery? Boot menu?

You can only unlock the bootloader from a rooted, running phone with ADB enabled. Can't do it in recovery or fastboot mode (unless you have a developer edition).

i tried bell's 4.1.2 earlier thinking the same as you said,but didnt work either, wont boot to recovery or boot menu.....
fastboot continue also takes to the old prompt...
27th May 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs

2,850 posts
More
Quote:

i tried bell's 4.1.2 earlier thinking the same as you said,but didnt work either, wont boot to recovery or boot menu.....
fastboot continue also takes to the old prompt...

IIRC, the Nextel (Mex Retail) is the highest version we have unless the new AT&T one supersedes it.

I've only seen this issue one other time over at the RAZR HD forums. With the latest KK OTA they had, his failed and the phone booted to a similar screen you have. Nothing has worked for that guy yet that I'm aware of (haven't checked in about a week now).

Have you tried manually flashing an fxz, not with RSD or Myth (though Myth does flash manually via a script but it skips the gpt partition, IIRC). I'd start with the ATT fxz and if it fails manually then I'd flash the Nextel one...after that I'm out of ideas.
27th May 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:

IIRC, the Nextel (Mex Retail) is the highest version we have unless the new AT&T one supersedes it.

I've only seen this issue one other time over at the RAZR HD forums. With the latest KK OTA they had, his failed and the phone booted to a similar screen you have. Nothing has worked for that guy yet that I'm aware of (haven't checked in about a week now).

Have you tried manually flashing an fxz, not with RSD or Myth (though Myth does flash manually via a script but it skips the gpt partition, IIRC). I'd start with the ATT fxz and if it fails manually then I'd flash the Nextel one...after that I'm out of ideas.

Came here after trying all that
Tried manually flashing but the phone returns FAIL on EVERY command, same with myth tools it executes but nothing really happen in the phone, dont know what went so wrong with the OTA

i am just confused if i should let it be or keep trying until i find a solution

COuld battery charge level be the problem, when it all started it was more than 70 percent and i didnt keep it on for long. it says battery ok but dont know whats the exact battery level as fastboot oem battery-status or voltage level are also restricted
28th May 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Themer
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 992

1,066 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, it seems that skeevydude told you all I want to say
28th May 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Solved: Using Nextel (Mex Retail)
Thanks all for your replies

The device is alive now after restoring to Mexican Retail using RSD (editing the xml file and deleting ONLY the two lines having getvar)

Myth Tools never worked, RSD DID!

BTW the mexican retail is much much better than the ATT version because:

It gets rid of the ATT bloatware
SPecially the att address book
Hotspot is working out of the box
its speedier
android version is upgraded (4.1.2 instead of 4.1.1)
provides an option of manually switching to 2g/3g
and much more

thanks skeevydude, nextel was the last option remaining anyway...........and it automatically fixed the gpr issue
28th May 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #10  
Flag Ft. Walton Beach
Thanks Meter: 663

1,807 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks all for your replies

The device is alive now after restoring to Mexican Retail using RSD (editing the xml file and deleting ONLY the two lines having getvar)

Myth Tools never worked, RSD DID!

BTW the mexican retail is much much better than the ATT version because:

It gets rid of the ATT bloatware
SPecially the att address book
Hotspot is working out of the box
its speedier
android version is upgraded (4.1.2 instead of 4.1.1)
provides an option of manually switching to 2g/3g
and much more

thanks skeevydude, nextel was the last option remaining anyway...........and it automatically fixed the gpr issue

Isn't it already stated somewhere that if you are going to downgrade or change versions, you need to delete those lines anyways?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread