Post Reply

I Need a Small Bit of Assistance Installing CM11 moto_msm8960 (Official)

OP IanPPK

4th September 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #1  
IanPPK's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 0
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
I am at a standstill installing CM11 off of the moto_msm8960 unified CM11 builds. Here's what I have accomplished so far:
  • Root and unlock bootloader with motochopper and motopocalypse
  • Install CWM Touch v.6.0.4.4 per the CM tutorial here.
  • Download a nightly CM11 build and remove Status 7 error per the tutorial here.
  • Backup stock AOSP ROM with CWM to external SD

My issue now is that I cannot install the ROM through CWM because my bootloader is not 4.4. Could someone guide me in updating the kernel to a KK based one so that I can install?

Edit:I realized while reading another thread that my problem it that the CM website has misreported the rom to use and that I have to use the moto_msm8960 jbbl branch, as the bootloader can only be upgraded if Moto releases a (the?) KK upgrade officially.
Last edited by IanPPK; 5th September 2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Found solution by myself
5th September 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #2  
mauchito's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
265 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPPK

Edit:I realized while reading another thread that my problem it that the CM website has misreported the rom to use and that I have to use the moto_msm8960 jbbl branch, as the bootloader can only be upgraded if Moto releases a (the?) KK upgrade officially.

That's right, you can flash the jbbl branch, it works good. Use that until we recieve the KitKat upgrade.
7th September 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #3  
IanPPK's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 0
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchito

That's right, you can flash the jbbl branch, it works good. Use that until we recieve the KitKat upgrade.

I intend to flash nightlies. Quick question though, do I have to do a nandroid backup in CWMR, factory reset/wipe, and then flash the new nightly, or can the new nightly flash like an update.zip? I am currently doing the process I mentioned above and don't want to risk bricking, if there is any risk.
7th September 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #4  
bylithium's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPPK

I intend to flash nightlies. Quick question though, do I have to do a nandroid backup in CWMR, factory reset/wipe, and then flash the new nightly, or can the new nightly flash like an update.zip? I am currently doing the process I mentioned above and don't want to risk bricking, if there is any risk.

It is optional to do a nandroid backup, I would usually do this when I am still running stock ROM but it is up to you. You can either clean flash or dirty flash, I don't believe it'll brick your device. I usually clean flash, it is just me. Good luck!
17th September 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 1
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPPK

I intend to flash nightlies. Quick question though, do I have to do a nandroid backup in CWMR, factory reset/wipe, and then flash the new nightly, or can the new nightly flash like an update.zip? I am currently doing the process I mentioned above and don't want to risk bricking, if there is any risk.

Just a little reminder: You can OTA nightly to nightly and snapshot to snapshot without almost any risk of bricking your device, but when you change from nighty to snapshot or viceversa, you forcefully need to wipe everything. Or you'll get a nasty bootloop.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11. atrix hd, kernel, kit kat
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes