[Q] where are Unified_MSM8960 threads?

OP laofan

1st July 2014, 07:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Ann Arbor
Thanks Meter: 71

307 posts
More
I see CM11, PAC-man, carbon go Unified_MSM8960,and the discussion seems slow down there,

Are there move to some certain thread that is not in Atrix hd forum? where could I find them?

Thank you
21st July 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #2  
Flag Superior
Thanks Meter: 9

78 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laofan

I see CM11, PAC-man, carbon go Unified_MSM8960,and the discussion seems slow down there,

Are there move to some certain thread that is not in Atrix hd forum? where could I find them?

Thank you

I would like to know as well, having to go to a completely different phone's page to ask questions about your phone doesn't feel right.
Using the vanilla CM11 from July here...
21st July 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #3  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 848

3,001 posts
More
I believe that many unified builds require a KK bootloader that the Atrix HD doesn't have. The lack of a KK bootloader limits the developers of those ROMs.
21st July 2014, 06:42 PM   |  #4  
Flag Varies
Thanks Meter: 74

164 posts
More
Well, the short answer is that "it's complicated".

There is no single place for Unified builds, and there are several ROMS so it is really up to the developer to post where they see fit. As one example, let's take the most popular and original unified ROM: CyanogenMod CM11. We have our own thread here for Atrix HD related issues, but the thread for the Razr HD is much more active. I've recently started monitoring the Razr HD threads because of that.

The good news is that, in the eyes of CM, we are the same device (since we are all grouped into the same msm8960 pool). The bad news is that since they unified, some of those devices got a new KK bootloader while the rest of us are stuck on the JB bootloader. So if you want CM11, you need to only use the one labeled as Epinter's build, because he is compiling it specifically for those still on a JB bootloader. Honestly, ANY rom based on a unified CM11 base that hasn't been specifically modified to handle this issue will NOT work on our phone (or any msm8960 device still on the JB bootloader).

So I think development on a lot of those ROMs that were based on unified builds has stalled until we're on the official KitKat from Motorola. We're sort of in limbo, unless you use Epinter's build. I'm still using the last Carbon Rom, but I'll probably be switching to CM shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to quasihellfish For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread