FORUMS

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

Root T-Mobile S6/Edge on 5.1.1 Without Tripping Knox

If you purchase phones from a carrier, you may be no stranger to the difficulties … more

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

[Q] Safest Root Method for D80020y

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By bokonon9, Member on 24th October 2014, 08:12 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi there,

I got a "certified like new" D800 from an At&t Device Support Center recently and it came with the latest OTA D80020y.

I'm trying to figure out what the most conservative way to root 20y would be.

I've looked into:

- IOroot25: Seems like it only supports up to D800 10q.
- Towelroot v3 by geohot: This post makes me think towelroot won't work with 20y (confirms that ioroot won't work either).
- Stump Root?: As I understand it's for Sprint/Verizon G3, but this post confirms that it will likely work on D80020y with a brute force method (not sure what that entails).

So stump root sounds like the only option for rooting on 20y, but does anyone know if there is any issues or risks associated with this brute force method compared with other root methods?

Is the safest way to get root for someone on 20y to simply use the LG Flash Tool and go back to older KK or JB firmware? If that is the case, which firmware is ideal for rooting?

I don't want custom recovery at this point, but I will eventually when I grow weary of the LG overlay.

Hopefully this thread will help others who find themselves on D80020y and want root privileges (or even get recovery for that matter). I think if you're planning on getting recovery and flashing a new firmware, LG Flash Tool is the way to go though. I just don't want to abandon my setup simply for root.

Thanks!
~bokonon9
The Following User Says Thank You to bokonon9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

24th October 2014, 03:50 PM |#2  
Flag Florida, USA
Thanks Meter: 238

Donate to Me
More
im on 20y and been using Stump root since day one. Absolutely no issues for me. You brute force it, it takes 2 or 3 minutes then it asks you to reboot. reboot, install superSU then you are golden.
24th October 2014, 05:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 452

More
From 20u, I OTA updated to 20y then used Stump to root (bruteforce of course). Everything works fine since.
10th November 2014, 09:50 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It works just smooth.. no hiccups at all..
Its worked like charm.. I was really hesitated to root my device as it was my first time to root to get my lost files which I accidentally deleted. I saw this post and thought of giving a try. The steps I followed are

1. Installed stump root on my device (downloaded and transferred from my mac)
2. it will ask permission to Bruteforce and select yes.
3. it takes less than a minute to install
4. restarted twice
5. installed supersu and rootchecker
6. Done.. got ROOT access.

Can anyone please please suggest me how to get deleted files from my LG G2. I deleted 2 files to save memory and later realized that I need that files and it contained my important data.
Please please..
16th November 2014, 12:59 AM |#5  
Flag Elgin
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Hey guys I just bought an LG g2 for my little brother and I'm looking for a way to unlock the bootloader... I used stump root to root it like i did my g3 but can't find a way to unlock the bootloader... Even when googling it I can't find nothing... Appreciate the help

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app
29th November 2014, 12:34 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
unlock lg g2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cables2590

Hey guys I just bought an LG g2 for my little brother and I'm looking for a way to unlock the bootloader... I used stump root to root it like i did my g3 but can't find a way to unlock the bootloader... Even when googling it I can't find nothing... Appreciate the help

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

my girlfreind has a lg g2 d80020y like stated above i tryed serveral different methods and only one worked , use autorec that was the only one that worked for me, its also very simple to use theres a video on you tube that shows how to do it, just 3 button clicks and your done but check your model number
The Following User Says Thank You to gear88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th December 2014, 02:35 AM |#7  
Flag San Antonio, TX (Bexar county, you figure it out)
Thanks Meter: 52

More
I unrooted, OTA'd to 80020y, rooted with stump root and now can't seem to get a recovery installed. Any hints on getting TWRP or CWM?

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrap

I unrooted, OTA'd to 80020y, rooted with stump root and now can't seem to get a recovery installed. Any hints on getting TWRP or CWM?

FYI, I got TWRP with this download: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407585979
non-AT&T users should select the correct file from http://kevinwithtech.blogspot.com/20...ike-lg-g3.html
The Following User Says Thank You to beartrap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2014, 11:38 PM |#8  

More
So, I have a D80020y unrooted. First I must use Stumproot to get root, and then use Autorec to install TWRP, right?
Also, can anyone explain me if I can use LG Flash Tool on D80020y? Can I use it without root?
31st March 2015, 07:52 AM |#9  

More
Finally!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrap

FYI, I got TWRP with this download: androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407585979

You are the effing man!

I completely messed up my wife's new LG G2 by flashing the wrong recovery image through TWRP (like an idiot). My immediate inability to get into recovery mode led me down a rabbit hole filled with failed solutions... each one compounding the problem more and more until it all snowballed into a situation where the 'Settings' function in Android stopped working altogether, I had no recovery, and download mode froze every time I attempted to use it. Despite all this, somehow my computer still recognized the phone as a media device >> All I had left was the ability to drag and drop files into the internal storage.

... and then I came across this magnificent link to AutoRec that you posted and flashed the proper version of TWRP onto the phone effortlessly. I downloaded it, launched it through File Manager, dropped the CloudyG2 Rom onto the SD card, and installed that S.O.B. with ease. THE PHONE WORKS LIKE AN ABSOLUTE CHAMP NOW. Flawless.

I never... NEVER post on forums, but I made this account specifically to tell you "Thank you!". That tiny little link solved countless hours of mind bending stress (and quite possibly saved my marriage) in mere minutes. Cheers buddy! PM me if you get the chance. I want to give you a shout out on my podcast this week.
12th April 2015, 02:18 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
What is the download link for stumproot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VJ

Its worked like charm.. I was really hesitated to root my device as it was my first time to root to get my lost files which I accidentally deleted. I saw this post and thought of giving a try. The steps I followed are

1. Installed stump root on my device (downloaded and transferred from my mac)
2. it will ask permission to Bruteforce and select yes.
3. it takes less than a minute to install
4. restarted twice
5. installed supersu and rootchecker
6. Done.. got ROOT access.

Can anyone please please suggest me how to get deleted files from my LG G2. I deleted 2 files to save memory and later realized that I need that files and it contained my important data.
Please please..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
d80020y, ioroot, ota, root, stumproot
Previous Thread Next Thread