OP muniz_ri

15th December 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #411  
Flag Clatskanie
Thanks Meter: 7

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s5freak

It's really easy just take your time. The rooting part actually takes about 5 seconds. Seriously

Ok, that was easy and now (according to root checker) I have root. Now I know I need to flash the NG3 kernal now, but this warning keeps popping up saying that unauthorized changes have been made and to reboot my phone to undo. Am I gonna be back to square 1 if I reboot, or is there a way to turn that off??
15th December 2014, 01:34 AM   |  #412  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sanger
Thanks Meter: 3,845

6,394 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknmj

Ok, that was easy and now (according to root checker) I have root. Now I know I need to flash the NG3 kernal now, but this warning keeps popping up saying that unauthorized changes have been made and to reboot my phone to undo. Am I gonna be back to square 1 if I reboot, or is there a way to turn that off??

Just go back to download mode and flash NG3 kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to s5freak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th December 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #413  
Flag Clatskanie

45 posts
More
If I want to install SAFESTRAP, I need to do that before I flash back to NG3?
15th December 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #414  
Flag Clatskanie

45 posts
More
Well, I installed SS, then reflashed NG3. Haven't started SS yet, but I have root and everything else seems to be in order. I was worried because my phone was showing "custom", but I restarted and it went back to "official". Thanks for all the help!
Last edited by rocknmj; 15th December 2014 at 03:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rocknmj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th December 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #415  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sanger

6,394 posts
More
Quote:

If I want to install SAFESTRAP, I need to do that before I flash back to NG3?

No only towelroot

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Quote:

Well, I installed SS, then reflashed NG3. Haven't started SS yet, but I have root and everything else seems to be in order. I was worried because my phone was showing "custom", but I restarted and it went back to "official". Thanks for all the help!

Glad ya got it worked out...whenever I get the custom and the unlock symbol I run triangle away on my S5 it works perfect. I don't think it says the S5 is supported in the OP but I've used it on the S3 thru thru to and including the S5 just download the apk and follow the prompts.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114
15th December 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #416  
Flag COCONUT CREEK, FL
Thanks Meter: 5

30 posts
More
Upgrading to NG3
just wanted to tell you i finally did the NG3 update on my ND3 att s5 with new SS on DK. i followed the instructions perfectly. the only problem i had was when i just restored DATA after installing the zip, as specified, and then Odin'd the kernel.tar.md5. when it rebooted it was not like it used to be and it kept rebooting. got a little freaked but just did a battery pull (had to) and restored my whole backup DK install in SS and VOILA, after reboot the phone came back just like it was only with updated baseband, kernel and SE andr. screen shot provided even though i am sure you know what it says.

so my last question is, these parts that were updated are part of the base phone and have really nothing to do with the SS BU? so if i did a SS backup now, it would basically be the same as the one i did on ND3, correct? just trying to understand. thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot S5NG3 about phone.png
Views:	136
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	3065399  
15th December 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #417  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sanger

6,394 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samccfl99

just wanted to tell you i finally did the NG3 update on my ND3 att s5 with new SS on DK. i followed the instructions perfectly. the only problem i had was when i just restored DATA after installing the zip, as specified, and then Odin'd the kernel.tar.md5. when it rebooted it was not like it used to be and it kept rebooting. got a little freaked but just did a battery pull (had to) and restored my whole backup DK install in SS and VOILA, after reboot the phone came back just like it was only with updated baseband, kernel and SE andr. screen shot provided even though i am sure you know what it says.

so my last question is, these parts that were updated are part of the base phone and have really nothing to do with the SS BU? so if i did a SS backup now, it would basically be the same as the one i did on ND3, correct? just trying to understand. thanks for all the help.

Yep except now your phone is updated to NG3 and rooted your good to go and happy flashing
The Following User Says Thank You to s5freak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 01:07 AM   |  #418  
Thanks Meter: 19

276 posts
I want to start over with a completely fresh install of NG3, with everything stock with the exception of keeping root. If I follow these steps while skipping 2 and 5, will that completely get rid of any and all changes I've possibly made and give me a totally fresh phone aside from root?

Alternative Method for Safestrap Users:
1. Place the G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip onto your ext-sdcard.
[skip] 2. Use Safestrap's Backup Function to back-up User Data.
3. From the Safestrap recovery perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. Flash the G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip using Safestrap's "Stock Slot."
[skip] 5. Then press "Home" then "Restore" and restore User Data.
6. Once complete press "Home" then "Reboot" and reboot into "Download" mode.
7. Last, flash the G900A_NG3_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread