FORUMS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Does anyone swim with their S5?

5th July 2014, 02:31 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70

More
So, I just got this s5 and decided to take the water resistancs to a new level.

I first ended up going to Cedar Point Amusement park, and went to the water park with it. Took a few video's with it on the slides, etc. Then went to the Wavepool , kept in my pock so it was no more then a few feet under water at any time.

Worked great, phone was still working. Just an FYI, if you do use it underwater, your signal strength will die, no cell signal underwater guys, I first thought the phone fried, but then relized, that was the issue, and then in a min, 4G was back! (I was freaked when I realized my pebble told me I was not connected.) Played with my Sphero for a bit.

a week later, I was at a festival doing some shooting, I was invited to the pool, with all the drugged up artists ,.. They all thought I was on every drug known to man because I brought my phone in the pool to take pictures (a few under water ones too!)

So far so good. I will admit that the phone at no time was fully submerged for more then 5 or 10 min at a time. but the phone still works great, and just needs a rince and dry to get the touch screen to work nomaly again.

so far, I'm not afraid!. I got the Samsung wireless back, I know it's got the seal, so that one is next! this week!

5th July 2014, 02:38 PM |#2  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 145

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonjb

so far, I'm not afraid!.

To me it's a "just in case feature" lol... "just in case I..."
5th July 2014, 03:27 PM |#3  
Flag Strong Island
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I left my phone in a bowl of water for an hour the first day I got it and everything is still fine.
5th July 2014, 04:51 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Please report back to what finally drowns it lol.
5th July 2014, 05:34 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 307

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion

Please report back to what finally drowns it lol.

You all have taken playing with your phone to a whole new level. Maybe I can see testing Samsung's numbers, but who in their right mind is going to intentionally search for the time where the phone actually drowns?
5th July 2014, 05:44 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortydoggg

You all have taken playing with your phone to a whole new level. Maybe I can see testing Samsung's numbers, but who in their right mind is going to intentionally search for the time where the phone actually drowns?

my theory, is if I am going to actualy do long swimming with it, I will put it my waterproof bag, but jumping into the pool for a quick jaunt, playing with my Sphero, or a waterslide where my phone is not UNDER water for more then a few min at a time, I will risk it.

I never keep phones long enough anyways.
5th July 2014, 10:20 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 184

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonjb

So, I just got this s5 and decided to take the water resistancs to a new level.

I first ended up going to Cedar Point Amusement park, and went to the water park with it. Took a few video's with it on the slides, etc. Then went to the Wavepool , kept in my pock so it was no more then a few feet under water at any time.

Worked great, phone was still working. Just an FYI, if you do use it underwater, your signal strength will die, no cell signal underwater guys, I first thought the phone fried, but then relized, that was the issue, and then in a min, 4G was back! (I was freaked when I realized my pebble told me I was not connected.) Played with my Sphero for a bit.

a week later, I was at a festival doing some shooting, I was invited to the pool, with all the drugged up artists ,.. They all thought I was on every drug known to man because I brought my phone in the pool to take pictures (a few under water ones too!)

So far so good. I will admit that the phone at no time was fully submerged for more then 5 or 10 min at a time. but the phone still works great, and just needs a rince and dry to get the touch screen to work nomaly again.

so far, I'm not afraid!. I got the Samsung wireless back, I know it's got the seal, so that one is next! this week!

Chlorine will destroy your waterproof capabilities.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbedell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2014, 11:23 PM |#8  
Flag Garland, TX
Thanks Meter: 546

Donate to Me
More
Also your speaker will get saturated and sound like crap - eventually the phone will have a weak speaker resulting in popping/crackling sounds. Just FYI...You can take pictures and the phone can get wet but if your doing it everyday of summer, bad things could happen. I think the Active can do it better than the reg S 5, but I wont go swimming with it. Maybe take pictures once in a while in the pool.
6th July 2014, 12:08 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 215

More
? Makes No sense to me but hey i dont have a silver spoon in my mouth. Even if i could i woulnt cause its a waist of good hardware. Maybe everyone should be poor once in thier life and would appreciate things more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to GDofWR420 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2014, 12:21 AM |#10  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 539

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbedell

Chlorine will destroy your waterproof capabilities.

I highly doubt the chlorine content in a public pool is high enough to cause the waterproof seals on the S5 to deteriorate.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gs5, pool, water, waterproof
Previous Thread Next Thread