OP Senior Member
Flag Garland, TX
Thanks Meter: 505

926 posts
Donate to Me
More
Original Thread is here>>>
http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...ogram-t2853345

This is for any Verizon device, not just the Samsung Galaxy S5. Please spread this to other device forums!
Recently, I came up with an idea of a developer program. What this program would do is allow people to pay a fee to have their bootloaders unlocked, regardless of the device. This would allow people the freedom to modify their device or develop for it without any issues. I did a little research and could not find anything similar to this (besides developer edition devices). So, with this idea in mind, I sent an email to the Executive VP of Verizon. Twenty minutes later, I received a phone call from his office. Long story short (there was a lot of talk about rooting and unlocking), the guy who called me put my idea through to marketing. However, since only about 1% of customers root their devices, there is concern of the interest in this.

What this thread is for is to see how many people would be interested in this program.

What would you be willing to pay to customer service to have your bootloader unlocked?
$0

$5

$25

$50

$100

Please use only one of those five prices, and no other prices.

You may discuss this in further detail in this thread. However, arguing, trolling, slandering, bickering, and anything else that will clutter this thread and overwork the moderators WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. This thread is not the thread to argue with others over the details since the idea is already in marketing. If you wish to argue or troll, please take it somewhere else. And, as always, please follow the forum rules. Thank you for looking at this thread.

For those who are concerned with the warranty, please read this. Huge thanks to @shootind5nukes for this info.

Quote:
Just so everyone knows the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevents someone from totally VOIDING a warranty. Verizon/Samsung could only deny to warranty something if they can prove something you did cause the issue. Anything that has nothing to do with what you did still has to be under warranty. If you LCD started to lose color or get dead pixels that would still have to be covered because that has nothing to do with bootloaders and flashing ROMS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

I learned about this when I was going to get my truck lifted. I was told if I did it would VOID my truck's warranty. After looking into it further it didn't actually VOID anything. But for example if I went in to get my suspension fixed because it broke they could argue that the lift kit put stress on the suspension and that's why it failed so they would not have to cover it. But if my motor exploded because it was made out of cheese it would still be under warranty, the entire warranty can never be voided. Only damage caused by what you did. Food for thought guys.

If anyone has anything to add please do.

Here is the email of the VP I emailed if you want to email him about the developer program. Again, thank you @shootind5nukes for this idea.
http://about.verizon.com/index.php/a...utt&e=139&h=8b
IF YOU DO EMAIL HIM, BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL PLEASE.
Last edited by LuckyColdJohnson; 4th September 2014 at 11:49 PM.
5th September 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 124

337 posts
More
I wouldn't pay anything to unlock my Verizon device bootloader... because I don't have Verizon... no one on this forum has Verizon.

The VP of Verizon has no say about the ATT bootloader unlock, anyway, lol
The Following User Says Thank You to UnhoIy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th September 2014, 06:27 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 39

180 posts
More
Question Just an FYI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyColdJohnson

Original Thread is here>>>
http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...ogram-t2853345

IF YOU DO EMAIL HIM, BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL PLEASE.

OP

You really need to check and double check what you write before you post it ..

At least click on Preview Post Before you post anything

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 9.26.49 PM.png
Views:	229
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	2926260  
6th September 2014, 07:24 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Garland, TX
Thanks Meter: 505

926 posts
Donate to Me
More
I know it's Verizon, I just thought it was interesting and brings ideas. It's just a question but if they see it, maybe things can change. Like HTCs website where you have an unlock option. Anything is possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckyColdJohnson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #5  
Flag B.F.E.
Thanks Meter: 3,705

4,379 posts
More
Quote:

I know it's Verizon, I just thought it was interesting and brings ideas. It's just a question but if they see it, maybe things can change. Like HTCs website where you have an unlock option. Anything is possible.

Agreed....
And thank you for posting...

I'd pay $100.00 for an unlocked bootloader....BTW.....g
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsarg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 124

337 posts
More
Quote:

This is exactly the point. For HTC, they provide a FREE way to unlock the bootloader. For my old Galaxy S3, it was FREE, for my N5, N4, Infuse 4G, N7/N7(2013) all FREE methods of unlocking the bootloader. Why would I pay anymore on this phone instead of just selling it for another phone that has a FREE method of unlocking.

I'll take all responsibility and understand that Samsung/AT&T will take no blame in the event that I brick my device, because I'm not an idiot and have and understanding of basic instructions. In reality, that's all it takes. An official release with step-by-step instructions, with a disclaimer that you are voiding your own warranty and they take no responsibility, which is exactly what HTC did;

Quote:

It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty.

We strongly suggest that you do not unlock the bootloader unless you are confident that you understand the risks involved.

It is literally that easy.
Last edited by UnhoIy; 10th September 2014 at 02:09 PM.
10th September 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Waite Park, MN.
Thanks Meter: 3,402

2,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok, Way back "When", Android was only a dream the whole idea behind it was that it is "Open Source" based off of unix/linux. Meaning anyone can contribute to, modify code, build kernels etc. etc. THis is still the case anyone can still do all these things whether or not you have a locked bootloader. Bootloaders are proprietary code not Open Source, neither are the Carrier provided APPs.

So what this boils down to is the carriers aren't violating any laws or regulations by locking the bootloader. So what this amounts to is the it is up to the manufacturer to unlock the BL and up to the Carrier to allow the open source access to their APPs.

We all at times seem to forget that it is not ATT, Verizon or any other carrier that is locking the BL it is the MFG, now granted 99% of the timeit is at the request of the Carrier, it's all part of doing business. It's not the carrier who provides the means to unlock the BL it is the MFG that does so, Yelling at ATT, Verizon or any other carrier is fruitless.

all things being equal - I wouldn't pay anything it really isnt that important to me (Notice I said ME).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cstayton For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th September 2014, 05:09 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
$25 for sure. Great idea and hopefully this gets passed soon!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread