Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How to root the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active on the NG3 update

OP James L

28th August 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Peoria
Thanks Meter: 13

54 posts
Donate to Me
More
A new update is being released for the S5 Active, since i didn't see a thread on how to root the device... Here it is...

Towel root works on the NE4 build but will not work on the new NG3 update.

So what i did was downgraded with the firmware file found on Sammobile with the NE4 build.
Then used Towel root and installed SuperSU, it said it failed to install Supersu but after a reboot all was well.
Oh this was a AT&T S5 active.

SuperSU worked fine and root was verified!

I haven't posted much before. I would like to give back to the awesome community who has done so much for me!

Hit the thanks button if i helped!
Last edited by James L; 28th August 2014 at 07:52 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to James L For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Could really use your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by James L

A new update is being released for the S5 Active, since i didn't see a thread on how to root the device... Here it is...

Towel root works on the NE4 build but will not work on the new NG3 update.

So what i did was downgraded with the firmware file found on Sammobile with the NE4 build.
Then used Towel root and installed SuperSU, it said it failed to install Supersu but after a reboot all was well.
Oh this was a AT&T S5 active.

SuperSU worked fine and root was verified!

I haven't posted much before. I would like to give back to the awesome community who has done so much for me!

Hit the thanks button if i helped!

Trying to use your same method
I am trying to root my phone with Towel root and it won't recognize my phone either. My phone deleted all it's text messages, for some reason, last night and I need to root my phone so I can save some of the messages. Came across your post and figured you can help me. I downloaded the may version of the sm-g870A and odin. Odin won't open. I've never done this before and could use your help. If I can downgrade my firmware, or change it, in a way where Towel root would recognize my phone that would be exactly what I need. Also tried all the Modstrings, did no good. Whatever you could say to help, can hit me up personally and help me, idk if you could do that, but it'd be awesome if you could help me.
29th August 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #3  
Flag Garland, TX
Thanks Meter: 510

929 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitncnotes

Trying to use your same method
I am trying to root my phone with Towel root and it won't recognize my phone either. My phone deleted all it's text messages, for some reason, last night and I need to root my phone so I can save some of the messages. Came across your post and figured you can help me. I downloaded the may version of the sm-g870A and odin. Odin won't open. I've never done this before and could use your help. If I can downgrade my firmware, or change it, in a way where Towel root would recognize my phone that would be exactly what I need. Also tried all the Modstrings, did no good. Whatever you could say to help, can hit me up personally and help me, idk if you could do that, but it'd be awesome if you could help me.

You should try my thread here guys. >>>> CLICK ME PLEASE AND HIT THANKS IF IT WORKS FOR YOU
The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyColdJohnson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
Hi, I really appreciated your post, but was confused with "NE4" & "NG3" can someone please explain what these are and how would I downgrade to NE4? Thanks
9th November 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #5  
Flag B.F.E.
Thanks Meter: 3,760

4,419 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonfox00

Hi, I really appreciated your post, but was confused with "NE4" & "NG3" can someone please explain what these are and how would I downgrade to NE4? Thanks

NE4 and NG3 are official kernel images...
Downgrade consists of flashing the NE4 kernel image via Odin...then rooting the device....and then flashing the NG3 kernel via Odin which will give you a fully rooted rom that is the latest version...

Knox will NOT trip if you follow the thread instructions...

We are forced to downgrade the kernel to gain root due to the exploit being patched in the latest update...

The root method works perfectly....g
9th November 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
Thank you for your help

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Thanks so much u guys, the root was successful
The Following User Says Thank You to landonfox00 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsarg

Knox will NOT trip if you follow the thread instructions...

The root method works perfectly....g

can i get a link please to these instructions because this thread seems to be pretty vague on the steps required to downgrade
21st November 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1,985

1,404 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloeven

can i get a link please to these instructions because this thread seems to be pretty vague on the steps required to downgrade

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2868776

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how to root the s5 active, ng3, root galaxy s5 active, root s5
Previous Thread Next Thread