FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Info 2 Tethering functional via FoxFi/PdaNet (Bluetooth)

5th May 2014, 03:45 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mobile, AL
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
I have been monkeying with this for a while, and yall have probably seen my frustrated posts regarding the loss of tethering functionality with my new GS5. I had been using a rooted GS2 for a couple years (with my unlimited MEW1 plan) and could tether with no problem. Switching to the carrier-branded GS5 (even though ATT allowed my data plan to carry over) has been a learning experience.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that this morning I was finally able to get tethering working via FoxFi on my GS5 and PdaNet Tablet on my old GS2. I left the devices unpaired in Bluetooth settings, then started the bluetooth tether on FoxFi, then went through the PdaNet Tablet configuration. It found my GS5 and paired, then connected. I verified by visiting a website and testing some apps.

The whole point of this exercise was to get Ingress working so my son can play with me. He has my GS2 now. Not having tethering thus far has been the only missing piece of the puzzle, but this is a good workaround until root is achieved.

I assume this would also work on an Android tablet, but I haven't tried that yet because my old Transformer's charger has failed. I will also experiment with a laptop & bluetooth dongle, and also my iPad.

Good luck!


The Following User Says Thank You to speckledpig For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
5th May 2014, 06:16 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Olympia, WA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by speckledpig

I have been monkeying with this for a while, and yall have probably seen my frustrated posts regarding the loss of tethering functionality with my new GS5. I had been using a rooted GS2 for a couple years (with my unlimited MEW1 plan) and could tether with no problem. Switching to the carrier-branded GS5 (even though ATT allowed my data plan to carry over) has been a learning experience.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that this morning I was finally able to get tethering working via FoxFi on my GS5 and PdaNet Tablet on my old GS2. I left the devices unpaired in Bluetooth settings, then started the bluetooth tether on FoxFi, then went through the PdaNet Tablet configuration. It found my GS5 and paired, then connected. I verified by visiting a website and testing some apps.

The whole point of this exercise was to get Ingress working so my son can play with me. He has my GS2 now. Not having tethering thus far has been the only missing piece of the puzzle, but this is a good workaround until root is achieved.

I assume this would also work on an Android tablet, but I haven't tried that yet because my old Transformer's charger has failed. I will also experiment with a laptop & bluetooth dongle, and also my iPad.

Good luck!

Tethering works no problem for me on the new AT&T plan. No separate is app needed. I made sure to clarify that before switching plans and devices. Thought it was also available on older plans with unlimited data.
5th May 2014, 10:06 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mobile, AL
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaredrew

Tethering works no problem for me on the new AT&T plan. No separate is app needed. I made sure to clarify that before switching plans and devices. Thought it was also available on older plans with unlimited data.

This is the old grandfathered MEW1 data plan; ATT specifically said that the tethering option is not provisioned on this plan (which is why the provisioning service fails to validate when you start up the wifi hotspot feature).
6th May 2014, 11:25 AM |#4  
Kael ruch's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Tethering works perfectly for me on the new AT&T.
11th May 2014, 04:07 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mobile, AL
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael ruch

Tethering works perfectly for me on the new AT&T.

That's great; my point is that those of us on the grandfathered unlimited plans cannot use the standard tether service.
11th May 2014, 04:49 AM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
How did the rest of your experimentation go?
16th May 2014, 07:38 PM |#7  
roughmouth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
More
So I can't set up a hotspot with foxfi. I wonder if is cut I'm on straight talk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
1st June 2014, 05:19 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by speckledpig

I have been monkeying with this for a while, and yall have probably seen my frustrated posts regarding the loss of tethering functionality with my new GS5. I had been using a rooted GS2 for a couple years (with my unlimited MEW1 plan) and could tether with no problem. Switching to the carrier-branded GS5 (even though ATT allowed my data plan to carry over) has been a learning experience.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that this morning I was finally able to get tethering working via FoxFi on my GS5 and PdaNet Tablet on my old GS2. I left the devices unpaired in Bluetooth settings, then started the bluetooth tether on FoxFi, then went through the PdaNet Tablet configuration. It found my GS5 and paired, then connected. I verified by visiting a website and testing some apps.

The whole point of this exercise was to get Ingress working so my son can play with me. He has my GS2 now. Not having tethering thus far has been the only missing piece of the puzzle, but this is a good workaround until root is achieved.

I assume this would also work on an Android tablet, but I haven't tried that yet because my old Transformer's charger has failed. I will also experiment with a laptop & bluetooth dongle, and also my iPad.

Good luck!


Works for me on my tablet(which is what I really wanted hotspot for). I have grandfathered unlimited plan.
Thanks!
3rd June 2014, 05:03 AM |#9  
PS4AndroidHacker's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Barberton,Ohio
Thanks Meter: 54
 
Donate to Me
More
How about clockworkmod tether. No root is needed for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th June 2014, 05:37 PM |#10  
zoso28's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Another benefit is that Bluetooth tethering may not be quite as fast, but uses less battery
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bluetooth, galaxy s5 at&t, galaxy s5 tethering, tethering
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes