Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Enable car mode AT&T Galaxy S5 SM-G900A Working

OP TragicSync

15th July 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

3 posts
For those of us with the AT&T Galaxy S5 who were oh so pleasantly surprised to find that AT&T had disabled some features on their Galaxy S5 model in favor of their own bloatware, here is a fix for enabling car mode for hands free use while driving. This method does not require any flashing, custom ROMS or recovery.

This is a list of modifications done to my phone for reference. Not all may be required. Rooted with TowelRoot (SuperSU), Safestrap recovery installed (with busybox), Xposed framework with Wanam xposed installed (to turn of the emergency call feature on lock screen, disable wake with home button, and disable camera shutter sound), SQLite Editor installed and all AT&T bloatware turned off (make sure AT&T DriveMode is turned off if nothing else).

1. You must have root. If you don't yet have your phone rooted just go to towelroot.com and get Geohot's towelroot app and run it.

2. Refer to this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2720257) for instructions on how to install the DriveLink APKs. This thread references the Note3 running Android 4.4.2 but the same process is used on the S5.

3. Refer to this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2733065) for instructions on how to enable the quick setting tile for Car Mode.

4. Place "DriveLink.apk" and "DriveLinkRemote.apk" on your external SD.

5. Browse to where you placed "DriveLink.apk" and "DriveLinkRemote.apk"

6. install the 2 apk.

7. Open up SQLite Editor

8. Select the Apps tab -> scroll down to Settings Storage and select

9. Click settings.db

10. Click system

11. Click search icon on top right (easiest method to filter) or scroll through db (harder way)

12. Type "notification" in the Filter Value field and press ok

13. Tap "notification_panel_active_app_list" -> select pencil icon on top to edit

14. In Value field, all enabled toggles are listed. Now, add the word "CarMode" (no spaces or quotation marks) to end of list (make sure to have NO SPACES between entries and semicolons separating each entry) (Note: I added a ";" at the end of CarMode as there was one already after the last tile in the list)

15. Once you add "CarMode", click save button.

16. Close SQLite editor and reboot

After reboot you should be able to activate car mode with the added quick setting tile (steering wheel).

NOTE: If car mode crashes at the main screen go to settings -> App Settings -> swipe over to all, scroll down to car mode and select it then click clear cache, clear data, force stop. then uninstall it. After it is uninstalled reboot the phone TWICE then re-install car mode and reboot. It should work after that.

Special thanks to RevelationOmega and ivanjong for doing all the real work!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TragicSync For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th July 2014, 07:44 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 119

322 posts
I'm on basically stock, rooted, no busybox, no safestrap, no xposed.

I followed your steps precisely, didn't work.
19th July 2014, 01:05 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 43

82 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ77

I'm on basically stock, rooted, no busybox, no safestrap, no xposed.

I followed your steps precisely, didn't work.

It worked for me. What exactly isn't working? Did you get the button to show up in your quick toggles? Or is it crashing or something?
19th July 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #4  

322 posts
I didn't get the button and the app didn't show up in my app drawer. it installed ok but nothing worked.
19th July 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 43

82 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ77

I didn't get the button and the app didn't show up in my app drawer. it installed ok but nothing worked.

No app shows up in my drawer either, but the toggle opens it fine for me. Just to cover all bases: when you do the database edit for the button, make sure to type it with capital "c" and "m". It is case sensitive.
20th July 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #6  

322 posts
step 6: install the 2 apk's.

are you guys clicking the apk file and installing them or are you pushing them to /system/priv-app?

I was just installing them conventionally but I'm thinking that was the issue...

edit: I was messing up the list I was editing.
Last edited by Russ77; 20th July 2014 at 02:16 AM.
21st July 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
having problems?
For those having trouble just a few tips:

-You will not get an icon in your app drawer. The only way to launch the app is with the quick launch button unless you use an app for creating shortcuts maybe.

-When editing the database make sure you are editing the line notification_panel_active_app_list. There are other lines with very similar names. Also, make sure you enter the item as CarMode with a capital C and M with no space.

-You don't have to push the apps to the system folder they can be installed as user apps. Just click on them and install them as you would any other app. This is how it is set up on my phone.
24th July 2014, 02:03 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 61

441 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicSync

For those having trouble just a few tips:

-You will not get an icon in your app drawer. The only way to launch the app is with the quick launch button unless you use an app for creating shortcuts maybe.

-When editing the database make sure you are editing the line notification_panel_active_app_list. There are other lines with very similar names. Also, make sure you enter the item as CarMode with a capital C and M with no space.

-You don't have to push the apps to the system folder they can be installed as user apps. Just click on them and install them as you would any other app. This is how it is set up on my phone.

Would anyone care to give a short description as to what car mode SHOULD do? I have never had a phone with it.

Thanx!

zeddock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th July 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Car Mode description
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddock

Would anyone care to give a short description as to what car mode SHOULD do? I have never had a phone with it.

Thanx!

zeddock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Car Mode allows you to control certain functions of your phone with hands free voice commands. You can make and receive phone calls, listen, compose and respond to texts as well as control navigation and music. Car Mode brings up a simplified launcher with four large icons for phone, messages, navigation and music that are easy to control while driving if you choose to access these manually. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Hope this helped.

-TragicSync
31st July 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Smile
Thanks worked perfectly

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread